If I moved out, could I afford to live?!

tom08
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm 24 and living at home with parents. I'm out of work due to a health condition, and I'm on Incapacity Benefit (my only income). I live in Havering.

I'm soon to move into a council flat, and I will need to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit when I move in. In order to determine how much Housing Benefit I'll get, I used my borough's Housing Benefit calculator (http://payments.havering.gov.uk:8080/itemnet/webben/mtb.html).

The problem is, this came up short. Basically, it tells me that if I were to rent a place that was £70/week, I'd only get £50/week Housing Benefit. Taking into account bills, food, etc., it seems that I would not have enough money to live on.

Basically, I get £100/week Incapacity Benefit. If I had to pay £20 for the rent which Housing Benefit doesn't cover, that leaves me with £80. Then I have to pay bills, of perhaps £30, leaving me with £50. Then there are extra charges for the council flat, perhaps coming in at £20. That leaves me with £30. My food costs about £50, leaving me with -£20!

Are my calculations wrong, or can I simply not afford to live?

I've asked at my local CAB, rung up countless people, and yet I can't seem to get an answer this question. It's so frustrating. Please help!

On occasion a person on Incapacity Benefit can receive a "top up" of income support, if their incapacity benefit is not above the threshold. However, as you are receiving above the sum that the government allows a single person to live on I cannot see that you would be entitled to any other benefit, other than housing benefit and council tax benefit unless there was a change in your circumstances.

Food shopping at £50 per week for a single person seems excessive to me. I have two children and myself to feed and my monthly shopping bill comes to £100 at the very most. That includes toiletries, cleaning products and all else we require in addition to food. Could you perhaps do a budget planner?

People for example on Income Based Jobseekers allowance or Income Support who are single and aged over 25 receive only £60.50 per week, and all of their food, utilities and groceries etc have to be budgeted for within this figure.

You could try this calculator: http://www.entitledto.com by entering all your details to see if it throws up a different figure, however this calculator is only a guide.

Edited by ErikaPNP
entitledto calculator website

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I agree that £50 a week for food for a single person is way over the top. I think once you get to 25, your HB goes up? Mine is £75 and I get JSA. You'll just have to learn to cut right down on your food. Have to stop getting a few luxuries and get the essentials in.

The £50 was just for food -- no luxuries. Not even toiletries. The problem is that I have to follow a really weird diet due to this health condition.

So I don't suppose there's anything I can do other than rely on help from relatives. =/

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Tom

What sort of health condition/special diet is it, perhaps it is something that you can get help with

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Have you ever tried applying for DLA? I'm not sure, but DLA may be payable dependant on the extent of your condition. If you haven't looked into it, it might be worth trying to see if you qualify.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

It seems that I would not be eligible for DLA, as my health condition is not so bad that I need help dressing, eating, etc., or getting around. It seems that DLA is only for people who are really severely limited.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Tom