Introducing myself

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone - I am a debt adviser (for an independent charity) and have been interested and very impressed by the depth of knowledge on this site. Hope to learn a lot more and thereby improve the advice I give and also share my experience when I can. I have a particular interest in bailiffs and have been reading the threads with great interest, particularly in relation to council tax recovery. I would love to think that if enough bad practice was exposed then local authorities could be persuaded/instructed by legislation not to use this antiquated form of debt collection. Pie in the sky I know but I can dream...

E

Thank you for your welcome Karnevil. I cannot obviously comment about anyone else but I would never suggest a repayment plan if there was any query regarding liability for the debt - eg because the debt may have already been paid (it is very common for paid or settled debts still to be sold on) or because the lender has fallen outside the Limitations Act. I think the issue of bank charges has only recently been routinely dealt with - and unfortunately due to huge work pressures I think many debt advisers just don't have the capacity to take this on. I do try always to point out though that these charges are probably not legal and can be reclaimed - and usually suggest websites such as this one to do it. Becuase of sheer volume of people going to CCCs and CAB's I do think that the onus is on clients to emphasise that they do not think they are liable for the debt for whatever reason, and it is then reasonable to expect the adviser to act on this information and not to suggest a repayment arrangement before liability has been established.

Hi Ellie

Completely understandable I expect CCCS and CAB are extremely busy in the current climate of credit being pushed in everyones face constantly. The guy I dealt with was fantastic, and stopped me worrying about everything within the first few minutes of talking to him, a huge massive weight just lifted off my shoulders. Everyone that works with CCCS and CAB should be commended for the work they do. I hope you stick around on the site as I'm sure you'll have some good advice for people with serious debt problems.

Hi Karnevil

I too contacted the CCCS after advise on here and some pm's i had sent to me about how good they are. It was over 2 weeks ago when i made my initial phone call, as i can barely even afford to buy food now, so was desperate for help. I chatted to a lady who told me some paperwork would come through the post for me to fill in regarding my finances etc. She said i had to have this filled in ready for the counsellor appointment. She made me my appoinment for 31st July (yesterday) at 5.30pm to speak to a councellor to sort things out. Anyway no paperwork came and 5.30pm came and went yesterday with no call. I am at my wits end now tbh and don't know what else to do.:confused: I really thought things were finally going to get sorted out, seems i was wrong. Does anybody know any other places i can try? I already tried my local CAB before the CCCS but they said they can't take anymore cases due to so much demand. I am worried sick that i am going to have to end up in court several times through none payments and have loads of CCJ's on record against me.

Separation sucks!:sad: