style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lo everyone

I'm new to this forum , but not new to renting property. Luckily enough I have had no problems in past to warrant posting on forums until now. My current letting agency are lazy and need a good push every time something needs doing which results in a trip to the Citizens Advice Bureau. I would like opinions on the recent problem of a blocked toilet. My letting agent says that I have to pay for a plumber because in my contract is the line 'tenent is responsible for blockages caused to the drain,pipes,sinks and bath'. I read this as anything apart from normal usage and that the landlord is liable for the cost due to reasonable wear and tear. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

You really have to ask yourself - Did you block the toilet? Can you make an attempt to clear the blockage yourself?

It sounds like you could be charged by the landlord if he sends round a plumber and they pull out an object which you have dropped (or deposited) in the loo. You would be liable if you caused the blockage because of that clause in your contract. Did you use too much loo roll or overload the toilet? (Sorry - I'm trying to be polite here but we all know what I'm suggesting....)

We had a blocked loo once, and the plumber pulled out one of those plastic things that holds a loo freshener inside the rim. He said that it was a very common cause of a blockage.

My 16 year old son has a habit of using loads and loads of loo paper which the loo can't cope with and it often gets blocked. I yell at him and then deal with it.....

I advise you to try and sort out the blockage yourself - it's easy to do with a plunger or your hand inside a plastic bag.

It is likely that the landlord can pass the invoice to you - and you may even find another clause in the contract which allows the landlord (or agent) to charge an additional fee for arranging contractors to carry out work - £25 is an average fee.

Good luck!!!!