Student Loans Dispute

kjaye
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys, I for the past year or so I've been having a dispute with the student loans company.

I have both an old pre 98 loan and a more recent 2002 loan. Every year I am supposed to get my old loan deferred.

I was diagnosed with cancer in May 1999 and was left with severe lung damage and a weak physcial state and havn't worked in almost a decade. My conditions are permanent, extensive lung scarring caused by one of the chemotherephy drugs and there is no possiblity for improvement.

I was told by the student loans company that if I could prove my medical conditions with a letter from my doctor and that I was permanently unable to work that my pre 98 loan would be written off.

My doctor sent them a letter stating that I had a prodigious medical history with serious health problems relating to my extensive cancer treatment over a period of two years. He confirmed I had been unable to work in 10 years and that as my conditions were permanent and non improvable that my chances of ever working again were virtually nil.

The Student Loans company rejected this letter as they claimed 'virtually nil' allows for the possiblity of future work.

They have for the past year sought to gain over £400 in late deferment charges from and I get a telephone call from either them or a debt agency every couple weeks.

I must admit I can be a real arsey bastard when I think people are treating me in a rude and unfair way and so I am being deliberately as obstinate as possible with these people.

The debt collection agencies continue to threaten bailiffs and court action and I have written to one to say that the debt is in dipsute and I am happy for it to go to court.

The debt has been returned to the Student Loans company who continue to press me for it.

I have been told that I need to get a more strongly worded letter from my doctor and to replace 'virtually' nil with 'nil'.

So far I refused to do this, simply becuase I have taken offense to this and their constant demands for money.

When they telephone I simply reply that I cannot work, have provided proof I cannot work and have provided evidence that I cannot work in the future.

When they tell me that the letter is not strong enough I have been saying merely that I reject that and in my opinion the matter is concluded. They tell me it's not concluded and that I must either pay or get another letter.

I am happy to go to court rather than provide another letter because I feel like I am being bullied and as a matter of principle I am resisting getting another letter sent, although my doctor would do so without any hesitation.

I'd just like to know my legal rights in this situation and what is likely to happen if this did go to court? I can prove my medical conditions so should I just continue to be as obstinate as they are and allow them take me to court if they wish or should I just get another letter written?

I really don't want to send another letter simply because it feels like they have won then, as pathetic as that may sound! I just think they should contact my doctor themselves if it's such a problem for them or else take me to court, a case I am sure they would lose.

What would you guys do in my position, send another letter for an easy life or resist and dig your heels in because I feel like they are treating me in a rather dehumanising way?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

You can get the charges removed along with interest if you want to be an arsey b*****rd in the meantime.

You'll need to take out a small claim against them though. If youre up for it, I did this last year. A side effect of doing this will stop them phoning you in the meantime.

You could also ask the judge to consider writing the debt off, taking into account your condition.

Come to think of it, considering your condition, the judge would be VERY interested to hear about SLC harrasing you...;)

• 1 year later...

I'm still getting hassled on a daily basis by a debt company called CCM who telephone me literally every day over this.

I have sent the student loans company two letters from my doctor confirming my permanent inability to work and have been basically telling CCM to take me to court or stop bothering me.

Today a particularly rude woman who I ended up putting the phone down on said if I go to court I will lose, and will have to pay court costs, and have my benefits taken and a load of other crap.

I've not had contact with the student loans company themselves for over a year now and they are saying (through ccm) that they never received the second letter and want a third.

I have told them to contact my doctor directly but they say they can't do this and want to bother him yet again for a third letter. Can I just make them stop? Of if I do just completely ignore them now and they do take me to court what will happen there?

My doctor would obviously confirm my inability to work and the fact that he has provided two letters so are their threats empty?