dvla penalty twice???

alvaro76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I got a letter dated last 22nd of october entitled "failure to relicense vehicle: xxxxxx" (I should have have it from the 01/08/08, but I made a mistake and just forgot) telling me that I did not have tax disc and I had to pay £40 or £80 if I paid after the 17th of november. 1 or 2 days later I paid the £40 penalty (on the 30th of october) and the day before that I also bought the tax disc (29th of october) and also paid to the clampers (£260 total)

as far as I was aware that was the end of it.

I received a letter dated 11th of december saying that they have seen my car parked in XX address without tax disc on the 28th of october. Now... my car was clamped that day (or before) and on the 29th (1 day later) I had my tax disc and I also paid the £40 fine.

It seems they want to give me 2 penalties for the same offence, the first one is the "automatic letter they send when they see I have not renew (for which I paid my £40) and the 2nd letter is because someone has seen my car untax, so they want me now to pay an extra £100 to avoid court action. I have call them but they won't have any of it. I explained that if it was on the road, it was because it was clamped and I could not take it off road! but they, again, don't want to know.

Can anybody tell me if they can do that? is there any way I can appeal as I said I am not paying and they said they'll prosecute me.

Any ideas, advice? many thanks!

alvaro

What they will say is that the £40 was for failing to register it SORN or renew tax(an offence)

The clamp was because it was on the highway without tax and the fee for release of clamp was £240 or whatever and now they want you to pay the fine for having the car on the road without tax.

basically it is the government trying every which way it can to screw money out of the population to pay for its huge and multitudinous mistakes.

someone has to - they certainly wont take a pay cut......

I cant understand why anyone would, but anyone who votes [EDIT] these people back into power at the next election should be certified.

My DOG could make a better effort of running the country (and I dont have a dog).

Edited by Rooster-UK
Libellous comment removed.

Hi Flying dog,

many thanks for your quick reply!

Not only they charged me £40 and also the clamp fine, they basically want to charge me £100 now because the car was seen on the 28th without tax disc. well, they already sent me a penalty notice on the 22nd of october (which obviously I received a few days later) and now they say that I basically need to pay another fine because it was "seen" without tax. the first fine relates to the automatic letter they sent me cause in their records I did not have tax disc.

Any ideas what I can do? should I just go to court or just pay and take my losses?

many thanks and best regards!

Alvaro

Personally and I would love to be wrong, I dont think going to court would achieve anything other than incurring you more costs.

As I said - the £40 was not for not taxing it - it was for not declaring it SORN

that is in addition to using it on the public highway (I know you werent but it was stood on the road) so I dont think you have any defence that they will be prepared to accept.

Were both fines from DVLA, and did the tax disc you bought start from 1st Oct or 1 Nov? Could be the second fine was for back tax if there is a gap, or it may be for not displaying a tax disc if it wasn't actually displayed in the n/s lower corner of the windscreen. Non-display fines usually come from the local constabulary. Whichever, it is still taking the [EDIT] mickey...!

Edited by Rooster-UK
Bypassing swear filter.