• Tweets

• Thank you all for the responses, to answers a few questions  - she has had the car since Jan 23 on a 5 year term.  - She is unsure what the agreement is called, but at the end she has the option to make a payment to "buy" the car - she recieves benefits for her young children alongside the ssp (normally she would be on NLW for a 16 hr a week job)  - Yes she would like to keep the car  She has not responded to the last email from them asking her to call and it'll be followed up in an email. I told her to hold off until atleast Wednesday so I can read a few posts on here and get some more information.  I will ensure she follows up with a letter, that has not been signed but instead her name written.   Thank you  
    • Thanks @lookinforinfo I'll use that. @FTMDave Yep im going to do just that and calmly enjoy the process that follows.    Whats the deal with the quote thing? Is it causing an issue for the site or just an annoyance.
    • Hello, *posting on behalf of my friend, I'll provide as much info as possible*  During a pretty low point my friend moved into a social housing property, it was in a area with no family/friend connections so she started to look for a mutual exchange. She found one, signed the paper work and thought everything was okay.  She has now decided she does not want to go through with the mutual exchange. Is she legally allowed to pull out after signing the paperwork or does she have to commit to the move? Thank you,
    • Thats perfect as long as they go to my new address its all good. thanks again for the help
    • if the debts have not been sold on but only passed to the dca's to chase, then i doubt you'll ever get a letter of claim till it is sold on. OC's dont do court because of bad publicity .  if you've updated the address, then everything goes there from whomever. dx
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to emphasise a point there by Glenn, you must be fully aware of the risks if you do end up allocated to fast-track. There was a user had a lot to pay on a claim regarding a mortgage early redemption penalty that had been allocated to fast track. Please be very careful.

Good luck.

Ok thats decided it for me :( Statutory it is...

www.bellyup4blues.com Just Go There !!!

Woolwich Prelim Sent 5.12.2006 !!!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006 (yeah I know)

16.1.2007 £1000 offer rejected

LBA sent 31.1.2007

N1 presented to Court 15.2.2007

Won / Settled 2 days before court date

£5200 plus int charges returned.

All and Leics S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22.12.2006

2nd S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 15.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

Won £1500 on receiving court date..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGE thanks people, if I win I will def make a nice donation to here. It's been invaluable.

Re point 3) I now need to go though my statements again and add on the debit interest I ignored when there were no charges plus change to -0.01 as suggested. Then I think I will finally be ready! I have one charge from 23 Jan 01 - do you think I should remove it (6+ years) or just leave it and let the bank decide. The latter methinks.

Re point 2) I guess the more backing info the better but a Bank Summary Charge sheet should be suffucient and not the accompanying statement.

Phew - I'm up to page 30 on this thread and my head hurts!!

Ok thats decided it for me :( Statutory it is...

Delboy - If you really just want to make sure you stay below the £5k threshold and in the SCC, why not claim contractual, but keep the claim below £5k. You're not obliged to claim every charge if you don't want to, but that way, you get more than if you just claimed statutory.

FWIW, my interpretation of Pearl is that interest is NOT included in the claim value for determining allocation, anyway. Interest is set out as a separate amount in the POC's, whether it be stat or cont, and is therefore easily distinguishable from the rest of the claim value. Interest is, however, included when determining court fees.

If you want a spready-buddy, mate, then I'll be yours, OK ?

- Just don't call me Rodney - or a plonker !!! :D

PS Vamp - you just scared the life out of Delboy !!!

Ta Bill, Im am actually at £4300, in charges at the moment with £690 of statutory int to go on to that, I know I can go up to £5000 in charges and I probably will get close to that as I am over my overdraft and expecting more charges to be made. My statutory S/sheet is working fine so I shall now stick to my timescales.

I do realise going for contractual would in theory bump it up to poss £8000 or £9000 but I shall stay as I am. (cant believe I have just written that,, DOH! )

I do appreciate all of the peoples help on here

Thanks Guys and Gals.. Keep the Faith!

LBA sent 31.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

my interpretation of Pearl is that interest is NOT included in the claim value for determining allocation, anyway. Interest is set out as a separate amount in the POC's, whether it be stat or cont, and is therefore easily distinguishable from the rest of the claim value.

If this is so as above, then if the charges are less than £5k and the contractual amount takes it over, will it be allocated small claims?

I have a claim coming up where if i add the contractual rate of £4 a day, it adds to over £8,000 just for this. The actual claim is for £450.

They also have an unauth rate of 31%.

I've been to the bank today and they could not answer whether the unauth rate AND the daily rate are charged or not. All the staff said they do not know.

I was charged £4 a day and have a letter stating this is what they will charge me if i go over my limit. This showed as 'unauth O/D fee' on my statements.

So, which one?

If this is so as above, then if the charges are less than £5k and the contractual amount takes it over, will it be allocated small claims?

Yes, that's my interpretation of the rules, and also Bong's, I believe. Bong has been trying to get a clarification of this from HMCS or MCOL, but is still awaiting an intelligent reply I believe.

I have a claim coming up where if i add the contractual rate of £4 a day, it adds to over £8,000 just for this. The actual claim is for £450.

I think you're misunderstanding contractual, here. The £4 per day is what they charged you. Contractual interest is what we are about to charge them on our entire claim. You might need to do some more reading up, I'm afraid !!

They also have an unauth rate of 31%.

Now, that's what I call contractual interest !!

I've been to the bank today and they could not answer whether the unauth rate AND the daily rate are charged or not. All the staff said they do not know.

Not necessary - you charge them the unauthorised rate.

I was charged £4 a day and have a letter stating this is what they will charge me if i go over my limit. This showed as 'unauth O/D fee' on my statements.

You claim back the £4 daily charges, plus you then add contractual interest at 31% pa compounded daily on each of those £4 charges.

So, which one?

So it's both.

Guys Guys, dont do this to me pleeeeeez :)

Are we saying that we are trying to get confirmation that if YOUR CHARGES are under £5000,, but your contractual interest is £4000 per se

It can still go in the SCC ????

Delboy

LBA sent 31.1.2007

Statements received

Prelim sent 31.1.2007

LBA Sent 15.2.2007

Guys Guys, dont do this to me pleeeeeez :)

Are we saying that we are trying to get confirmation that if YOUR CHARGES are under £5000,, but your contractual interest is £4000 per se

It can still go in the SCC ????

Delboy

Yes, mate - 'fraid so !!! :D

I think you're misunderstanding contractual, here. The £4 per day is what they charged you. Contractual interest is what we are about to charge them on our entire claim. You might need to do some more reading up, I'm afraid !!

Bill-K, they themselves cannot make make up their mind what they charge. The lady at the bank today said it's now £8 a day. The i said what's the 31% unauthorised rate that is also stated? She said thats what they charge. I asked so do they charge both? She said depends on the account (my account was 6 years ago so doesn't exist in that name anymore).

The fact remains that they charged me £4 a day and i am told to charge this back as it is the contractual rate.

At this point I would just like to bring up the matter of A.T.E insurance.

A couple of members of this site have mentioned this to me.

This is also known as After The Event Insurance (A.T.E), and is more commonly used in Personal Injury claims, but can also be applied to claims such as ours.

Basically from what I undrestand, it covers the legal costs for both sides should you lose in a Fast or Multi Track court. I gather it costs around £250 to insure yourself for legal and court costs upto £50,000, including paying back the premium itself. Otherwise, the premium you also claim back as part of your claim should you win, so it is "self insured" either way.

Well worth looking into if you think your claim is going to go to a court other than small claims.

Do a web-search on it for more info.

And perhaps someone looking in who may know more could enlighten us?

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Bill-K, they themselves cannot make make up their mind what they charge. The lady at the bank today said it's now £8 a day. The i said what's the 31% unauthorised rate that is also stated? She said thats what they charge. I asked so do they charge both? She said depends on the account (my account was 6 years ago so doesn't exist in that name anymore).

The fact remains that they charged me £4 a day and i am told to charge this back as it is the contractual rate.

[/color][/color]

The £4 is a daily penalty charge. If it were interest, then it would be a varying amount. Whoever told you that this £4 charge was contractual interest was talking out of their alternative orifice !!

The 31% is contractual interest. Because they were charging you an extortionate daily penalty, then they probably have not charged you their 31% interest.

But the fact remains that 31% is what you can now charge them for "borrowing" your money without your (or the law's) authority. That's why you charge them the unauthorised borrowing rate.

Just to emphasise a point there by Glenn, you must be fully aware of the risks if you do end up allocated to fast-track. There was a user had a lot to pay on a claim regarding a mortgage early redemption penalty that had been allocated to fast track. Please be very careful.

Good luck.

Vamps

Hi there, happy new year and hope you are well.

couple of points/clarification in the case in question are you able to confirm this was definitely to do with an ERC and not bank charges?

And when you say they had to pay a lot, do you mean they lost and ended up with costs being awarded against them or do you mean they had a lot of fees to pay out?

If its the latter then the fees are 'considerable', we paid £250 to submit our claim, another £100 for the AQ and there will be another £250 listing fee if it gets that far i believe.

And of course thats before it acutally gets to court.

Glenn

Ps Edit this has nothing to do with whether you claim contractual interest only the value of the claim as your court decides and there are options for those who dont want to risk fast track but with larger claims.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

i'm getting a migraine just reading this thread

so i don't tihnk i will be claiming

also it feels a bit greedy to me, i don't what other ppl tink about that

Miss_C, I think other people here have realised that the banks are experts at making us, their customers, feel stupid and even guilty. All to their own advantage. Surely, notwithstanding your migraine and your other difficulties, you have at least seen through that myth by what you have read ?

Please don't let them take both your money and your self-respect.

Please, matey.

I'm getting a migraine just reading this thread

so i don't think i will be claiming

also it feels a bit greedy to me, i don't what other ppl think about that

I understand where you're coming from, no i haven't got a migraine, the greed bit.

however, there are a couple of points that you should understand.

You have a contract in law that is supposed to be bilateral ie. its fair to both parties and doesn't favour one over the other.

If it isn't bilateral then it means its unfair and when its unfair the law favours the interpretation in the consumers favour.

So bearing these issues in mind it seems reasonable that you can benefit from the contract in the same way that the bank does, and that seems reasonable and fair to me.

If the sums of money that arise out of applying the contractual rates, its not greed, its a simple consequence of the terms that both parties were working to.

Finally something else is that most of us have had the bank impose these terms on us and have been charged the contractual rate. The big difference is that the sums of money we have paid have by and large been relatively small and have been paid out over a number of months and years.

If you had the time and inclination to input all of your account transactional history into a spreadsheet you could work out exactly how much difference there would be if the bank hadn't imposed these unlawful charges and punitive interest rates.

I suspect that many of us would be surprised at how much we have actually paid and that our claims are typically significantly less than those figures.

Vamps might have a view on this issue since she developed the spreadsheets many people use, or maybe mindzai because he did something similar.

In essence i don't agree it is greedy, i do think its a consequence of the banks greed, but because of the way contract law works its the only option you have to get a fair redress since i don't believe that Sec 69 interest reflects a fair return under these circumstances.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Miss_C, I think other people here have realised that the banks are experts at making us, their customers, feel stupid and even guilty. All to their own advantage. Surely, notwithstanding your migraine and your other difficulties, you have at least seen through that myth by what you have read ?

Please don't let them take both your money and your self-respect.

Please, matey.

Damn

So much eloquence from a bloody ape!!!

I wish id said that

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

you do any research on APE (sorry i meant ATE) insurance bill ?

I would value your opinion.......and yours too Glenn if lookin ?

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Miss_C - as Glenn has suggested, how about just looking at exactly what you can claim, just out of interest, by completing a spreadsheet ? No risk, just a bit of effort. Take your time. I'll help. We all will. Even old Glenn, here, as you can see.

Take a break, and give it some thought.

you do any research on APE (sorry i meant ATE) insurance bill ?quote]

Had a quick scan, P-M, and it seems to apply to personal injury claims. I won't use the word "only" - although that seems implied. Also, it seems to be available only if one engages a solicitor on a "no win no fee" basis, and it is arranged through that solicitor. It may be a good thing, but it looks a little like PPI insurance at the moment.

Dear Bill et al

I have read and read and read again through all the information on interest, contractual compound or otherwise until I'm sick of it and have no clear understanding of ANYTHING!

Nothing that I have read here has clarified this matter and none of the spreadsheets make any sense. So you know what? I'm going to stick to my original claim of getting back all of the charges that the Coop Bank have levied against me.

I do know what I'm doing thank you and yes, I do deserve to get my money back! But if I start going into trying to charge interestother than the 8% at court claim stage then no, I don't know what I'm doing and my feeling is that I shouldn't bother.

And I know I'm not the only one on this whole site who's totally confused and fed up with this interest baloney ...

P:mad:

paintball ... its so easy ...

if you use Mindzai's spreadsheet, you simply insert the bank's unauthorised rate, or any rate you want to charge, on the first sheet. put all your charges on the second sheet (charges to the left, interest to the right). That's it!

the third sheet has worked out how much to claim with 8% statutory interest (you add this at court stage).

the forth and fifth sheets give you two figures based on whether you want a monthly rate or daily rate on the unauthorised rate you entered in sheet 1. you can then send this amount with the first prelim letter, but you won't be able to add the 8% stat afterwards.

contractual interest increases a claim by about 3 times, and stat 8% by about .33 (a third).

hope this helps.

Im not sure what the point of your post is paintaball?

Everyone has the right to choose what they do or dont do, if you choose not to then thats fine.

if i have missed the point im sorry please help me out.

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA