• Tweets

• If you are confident that citizens advice are going to give you the help you need, then you should stick with them. No point in trying to ride two horses at the same time. It will only lead to confusion and conflicting advice. Also, the people at citizens advice get paid. Everybody on this forum works completely free of charge – no payment – no strings. I hope you get your money back, but for the moment I'm going to close this thread
    • While I agree with getting it done by an authorised dealer in this case, for future reference a stop/start battery for one of these cars are about £120 and anyone with a £40 BMW specific scanner off of Amazon can "register" the battery.
    • Dave, Section 12 seems to be a bit of a dangling limb on it's own, with no reference or explanation about the "breach" of parking out of hours. Also, rather than draw any attention to the specific 22:00 to 08:00 wording on their "draft signage", how about a slight reshuffle ...? 11. The claimant provides 2 copies of the signage on this site. One of the signs shows a time restriction of 2 hours, the other sign shows a parking restriction of 3 hours. 12. The driver stayed under 2 hours so even had the signs been visible the driver would have respected the Claimant's terms & conditions. Are the above strictly needed? The claimant has made no references to an overstay, just "out of hours". 13. The claimant also states in paragraph 8 of the witness statement: "On 17 March 2023 a vehicle with registration number was recorded as having breached the terms and conditions of parking. The driver of the aforementioned vehicle was in breach by virtue of parking on site out of hours." 14. The claimants Exhibit BA/2 also does not specify any times for "out of hours parking". Breach of a non-existent terms is not possible.   Or something along those lines? Screws up the the paragraph numberig a bit though...  
    • The Open University is hosting this event on attracting and developing young talent. Our Deputy CEO Lauren Mistry is speaking during the event.View the full article
    • Just the info in the links I added as far as I can see Just continuing Folding all the companies and trying to remove assets from UK jurisdiction while they are still perhaps under the protection of the Tory guv  it seems Don't know about others opinions, but the police 'awaiting the outcome of years of  meetings talking about it before prosecuting is getting rather thin IMO
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Log Book Loans want to take my car. I dont owe then anything.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

evening.....i have seen your mail and would be happy to chat about the experiences with logbook loans and even the franchises they give out......bills of sale and the way they carry out business.....i am about to go into court at the end of the month against the ex franchisee of logbook loans re the loan i took out.

alot of info and irrgularities....i am in no way an expert and there are many many more knowledgeable buys on here who have helped me no end...i can just let you know what i have gone through and the advice i have gathered from friends on here and CAB and legal advice......

with all the advice and help from all the above sources i am ready to head into court in next few weeks and they do not have a leg to stand on.

If I can help let me know....

bullyuk

• 7 months later...

Dear bullyuk

Hope it went well. Please let us know.

I to now am heading to court.

Found alot of additional info out online.

Will let you know in due course if any of it is of any use.

If it is I cannot believe there are so many errors with the LBL BoS.

Fingers crossed.

GOOD LUCK ALL.

Seems '[Laura Burns' disappeared off the face of the earth hey?

So much for her 'interest' then

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Hi Jollygreengiant... : )

I pleased to report that BullyUK advised that he won his case - check out his threads by clicking onto his name in the forum - you can read how he got on : )

Apple

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

• 1 month later...

Dear All

Important update: I WON.

Log book loans took me to court using someone else’s address.

As I could not/did not correspond with the court, it was ruled in their favour. It was ordered I had to hand the vehicle over to them. Please read on.

In all honesty the information contained within the forums gave heart, but only the faintest belief that I could save my car.

Many directed towards solicitors, many of whom wanted £500-£1000 in advance before they would even look at the case. None would give solid advice or direction.

Remember, a solicitor sees you as an easy way to make money. No better than the ‘loan shark’ you borrow from.

Hence I spent days/months trawling through the internet, site after site, write up after write up.

I found many a holy grail containing invaluable information.

Hence collectively I challenged the court’s decision & supplied the court with my correct address. On top of the ruling against me (wrong address), I highlighted 10 (yes 10) errors of procedure/wording etc that invalidated the Bill of Sale, hence any one of which voiding the Bill of Sale in respect of the personal chattels comprised therein.

I have just received notice from Nine Regions/Log Book Loans.

“We are in receipt of your application to set aside judgment in the above case. Having reviewed the case in detail and in consideration of the costs we would incur in litigating further, we have taken the decision to agree to the setting aside of the judgment and discontinuance of the claim. As we are no longer minded to pursue the matter through the courts we can also confirm that we have today requested that HPI remove our interest and security alert from their register and have instructed our recovery agents to cease all action.

We have written to the court to advise of our intentions and have requested that an order be drawn up setting aside the judgment by consent and discontinuing the claim. You should receive a sealed copy of the order directly from the court but we will also endeavour to send you a copy of the same once received at this office.”

It is my personal belief that from the information contained regarding other Bill of Sale agreements, within the forums, highlights that every LOG BOOK Loan, BILL of SALE can be challenged & rendered void in respect of the personal chattels comprised therein.

Please don’t see this as an easy escape. Many will have signed loan agreements also. They are a completely different study. Again search & you will find that they too are limited, dependant on timing, amount repaid to name but a few.

CHALLENGE CHALLENGE CHALLENGE.

GOOD LUCK.

Dear All

Important update: I WON.

Log book loans took me to court using someone else’s address.

As I could not/did not correspond with the court, it was ruled in their favour. It was ordered I had to hand the vehicle over to them. Please read on.

In all honesty the information contained within the forums gave heart, but only the faintest belief that I could save my car.

Many directed towards solicitors, many of whom wanted £500-£1000 in advance before they would even look at the case. None would give solid advice or direction.

Remember, a solicitor sees you as an easy way to make money. No better than the ‘loan shark’ you borrow from.

Hence I spent days/months trawling through the internet, site after site, write up after write up.

I found many a holy grail containing invaluable information.

Hence collectively I challenged the court’s decision & supplied the court with my correct address. On top of the ruling against me (wrong address), I highlighted 10 (yes 10) errors of procedure/wording etc that invalidated the Bill of Sale, hence any one of which voiding the Bill of Sale in respect of the personal chattels comprised therein.

I have just received notice from Nine Regions/Log Book Loans.

“We are in receipt of your application to set aside judgment in the above case. Having reviewed the case in detail and in consideration of the costs we would incur in litigating further, we have taken the decision to agree to the setting aside of the judgment and discontinuance of the claim. As we are no longer minded to pursue the matter through the courts we can also confirm that we have today requested that HPI remove our interest and security alert from their register and have instructed our recovery agents to cease all action.

We have written to the court to advise of our intentions and have requested that an order be drawn up setting aside the judgment by consent and discontinuing the claim. You should receive a sealed copy of the order directly from the court but we will also endeavour to send you a copy of the same once received at this office.”

It is my personal belief that from the information contained regarding other Bill of Sale agreements, within the forums, highlights that every LOG BOOK Loan, BILL of SALE can be challenged & rendered void in respect of the personal chattels comprised therein.

Please don’t see this as an easy escape. Many will have signed loan agreements also. They are a completely different study. Again search & you will find that they too are limited, dependant on timing, amount repaid to name but a few.

CHALLENGE CHALLENGE CHALLENGE.

GOOD LUCK.

Hi Jolly, good on you well done, they dropped the case cos they could not win, now hit them with costs....research, postage, etc etc....

Oh, Ask them for the HPI confirmation by letter...

trooper68

Trooper68:)

Has Any suceeded in this before?

ie costs....research, postage, etc etc....

Go for it guys, what is this worth?

Loads of people, your out of pocket yes? spent a load of time sorting this out yes? Hit them with the costs, they would do it to you if they took you all the way-yes? Reply to the letter you recieved, reg'd, give them a break down of all your costs and time say £9 an hour (based on the Sol Research).. if they refuse you could take them to court...its up to you..besides what have you got to lose...

trooper68

• 5 weeks later...

OMG

Will this ever end.

I was clearly joyous at LBL dropping their litigation.

However I have just today received a letter from the court, as a response to an email I had sent them:

“Further to your e-mail dated *********** 2010,the court confirms that the claimant has informed the court of their position,- however-District Judge has refused their request to discontinue the claim.

Regarding a refund of an application fee, the court cannot refund your fee for the mentioned. application as it has been processed and it is listed for a hearing on ********** 2010.”

Has the world gone mad or is it just me.

OMG

Will this ever end.

I was clearly joyous at LBL dropping their litigation.

However I have just today received a letter from the court, as a response to an email I had sent them:

“Further to your e-mail dated *********** 2010,the court confirms that the claimant has informed the court of their position,- however-District Judge hasrefused their request to discontinue the claim.

Regarding a refund of an application fee, the court cannot refund your fee for the mentioned. application as it has been processed and it is listed for a hearing on ********** 2010.”

Has the world gone mad or is it just me.

So reading betwen the lines, the claimant isn't now sueing but the court is - I don't understand that.

I think you may find that he wants them in front of him, they may have abused the court process- relax for now, give the court a ring and have a chat with the team there...

I cannot see where you would be in the spot light...

trooper68

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jolly Green Giant

Sorry to note that this matter is not finsihed as yet.

It would seem to me that the Judge has indeed decided that they cannot simply 'walk away' from this one....

I don't see that you have anything to fear considering the fact that they are the ones that initiated the claim against you - then were unable to substantiate their claim.... they will of course know that 'protocol' is very much party to the court system and that at any stage prior to writing to withdraw their claim against you - they could have re-tracted their claim; they chose not to - until it was clearly 'too late' - their actions taken were done to fob you off; so that you did not seek to claim costs or compensation - they are obligated to pay you for your costs in the matter.

Having said that - so that you can get a clearer picture - what they did - was to 'throw the claim' after you had successfully challenged the CCJ; that had been entered incorrectly against the address (rendering the owners of that address with a 'black mark' against their address; which would have caused any application for credit to be refused)

With the CCJ successfully 'set aside' - this leaves the original claim they made against you 'open' - are you still with me on this? The original claim is still in the system.

The letter from LBL advising you that they do not wish to persue the claim - is not enough to satisfy the court (although it will count against them; now that they have to follow it through and is handy for you to point out to the Judge; when your hearing comes up)

They are supposed to follow protocol - in simply writing a letter to you and no doubt copying it to the court is not protocol - the Judge will only have been interested in the comments they made regarding the 'set aside' hearing which you requested.... they now must attend court (or not if they choose not to... doesn't matter to you because it sounds as though your defence is solid)

It is for the Judge to decide the outcome of the claim that they brought against you - NOT LBL!!

IMO the Judge has done nothing wrong - the only way the case would not proceed would be when the allocation questionnaire that would have been completed (presumeably) by both parties advised the court that the matter was going to be 'mediated' between the parties - in such an instant - the court may have dispensed with a formal hearing.

If I am wrong, then I apologise - but I don't think that I am - I am happy to be corrected though?

You now get the opportunity to defend the claim properly and counterclaim for a number of things; such as your costs etc - money back in your pocket - and for your time spent.... personally, I would copy all your comments on the forum to give the Judge an idea of just how much time and effort you have put in to clearing your name - and what about the Car? - if they took it.... then they have to get you one back of similar type and performance - Are you saying you were just going to walk away from all that is due to you?

Just my thoughts on the matter - hoepfully it helps?

• 2 weeks later...
Got a derisory offer for my losses for LBL in advance of the imminant court date.

Onyone else been in this position?

Hi Ya

There will be many who take such offers just to save time and be done with the whole thing.

It's your call.... if you think the offer is derisory; then tell them so, tell them what you are willing to accept to shelf the case and make it clear that if they are not willing to conclude on your terms then the matter proceeds to court so that the Judge decides what they should pay (keep any communication between you and them regarding 'settlement' marked up as 'without prejudice' - that way if you get a better offer in court, they can't then say to the Judge 'but he was willing to accept much less')

Dear Apple

In Court tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Best of luck.

Been to court.

Judge not pleased.

Judge considered this an interesting case.

Clearly alot of time & effort was put into my defence.

Judge was glad that LBL did not content the matter. The Judgement has been Set Aside.

My record is to be cleared.

The Judge has ordered that we should come to some amicable agreement over cost & compo.

However he will keep an I out for this case (yea right) so that it is brought back before him if an amicable soultion is not found.

LBL - They can be beaten

I nice little additional nugget.

LBL started proceeding against me in Jan 09, claiming £5,795 Plus Damages Plus interest.

I have a letter from LBL to the debtor dated 22/7/10 claiming an outstanding balance of £4,786.20

Is this cake & eat it.

Is this an abuse of proceedure. ROUND TWO TO ME.

Now on the advice of the Judge, I need a solicitor to sue LBL. INTO THE TRENCHES WE GO.

Hi Joly

Well, looks like you have an open market, if it was me i'd do as the judge suggested, get a SOL and nail them, open season..

Sue them for the car + damages, costs...etc etc. A good sol's letter with the threat of going further up the court chain will snap them back.

Say 5k (court limit) + costs and replacement car....

WELL DONE...its your game now.

trooper68