• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court case looming- need help please

star_scream
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone have a copy of the default charges for Amex from 2000?

Amex are using a copy of my original agreement with £12 default charges photocopied on the back and saying they are the T&C's from that date.

I don't believe them, and need proof that they are lying

Anyone help?

Odio los bancos con una venganza

I don't have a copy but this article may be useful American Express raises its charges | Money | The Guardian

They only raise the charge to £12 in September of this year.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hello SS!

I'm not sure that Amex even mentioned Default Charges in their Terms until around 2007.

If others could please look, that could be useful.

There's no mention that I can see in 2002 or in 2005, and yet they were charging them, usually a round number too, like £15 or £20 or £25. They went down to £8 in 2007, then up to £10 in early 2008.

I've never seen £12, although I have nothing recent to look at I regret.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello SS!

I'm not sure that Amex even mentioned Default Charges in their Terms until around 2007.

If others could please look, that could be useful.

BRW

If that's the case, then they have clearly committed fraud by photocopying these terms on the back of the original agreement?

Hello SS!

Rory32: They only raise the charge to £12 in September of this year.

That ties in with what I thought was the case, i.e. £12 only appeared recently.

I suspect they'll weasel out it by saying it was a re-assembled thing, showing what your Agreement should've looked like with Application Form and Current Terms and Conditions.

But what this is telling you, is they do not seem to have an Agreement worth diddly squat.

Sure sign they are running out of ideas and wits when they start using glue and/or double sided Photocopying magic tricks.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello SS!

Just catching up with where you are from other Threads.

OK, hit them with a CPR 31.14 Request to make a Physical Inspection. The point of this is to put the pressure on that you want to see the alleged Agreement. Obviously, this means going to them to take a look.

They probably won't be too keen, but the fact that you have asked, and the fact that you make damned sure the Court gets to know that you have asked, will put the enemy into a bad light if they refuse point blank to let you see the very document upon which their whole case rests.

From that point, keep ramming this issue home at every opportunity.

If they do not have an Original Copy, then they will have a hard time complying with CPR PD 16 7.3, i.e. their need to produce the Original Agreement in Court.

Now, keep the pressure on without let up. Do this by making specific reference to this in your Defence and Allocation Questionnaire (AQ). Throw in some Draft Directions at the AQ stage to suggest the Court may like to conduct a preliminary Hearing to review the documents that matter, such as the Agreement, the Default Notice, the Termination Notice and their failure to comply with CPR 31.14 before Court, and CPR PD 16 7.3 at this 1st preliminary Hearing.

If they produce a Copy Agreement, then no matter what they have stuck onto the back, they will need to ask the Court's Permission to produce what is in fact Hearsay Evidence, see Civil Evidence Act 1995.

Likewise, if they want this Hearsay Evidence to be taken seriously at all, then they will need to bring some hard Evidence to back it up...like a complete ISO Document Management Report from an independently audited system. This needs to show the complete History of the Agreement from Day One to the Day in Court.

It'll also need to explain why they elected to Shred a live Statutory Document.

If they elect to bring a Witness Statement to verify this Copy, ask that the Witness also comes to Court for cross-examination. That's when you get to ask them lots of questions about the Document they claim to know so much about. This Witness will need to show they had a direct involement in the Document from Day One, and they too will need to explain why they felt the need to shred a live Statutory Document.

When did the Document arrive, who logged it in, where was it kept, who requested that it be copied, what happened to the Copy, who requested that the Original be Shredded, who has had access to the Copy, how do they know the Front and Rear are from the same Original, dates, history etc...and did the Witness actually work at the bank at that time, and in all of these Departments!

Do you see where this is heading now?

You have to bring this issue to the top of the pile, and never let go once you get it there. Do not be fobbed off, and do not let them fob off the Court with an unenforceable Application Form.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

Hello SS!

Just catching up with where you are from other Threads.

OK, hit them with a CPR 31.14 Request to make a Physical Inspection. The point of this is to put the pressure on that you want to see the alleged Agreement. Obviously, this means going to them to take a look.

They probably won't be too keen, but the fact that you have asked, and the fact that you make damned sure the Court gets to know that you have asked, will put the enemy into a bad light if they refuse point blank to let you see the very document upon which their whole case rests.

From that point, keep ramming this issue home at every opportunity.

If they do not have an Original Copy, then they will have a hard time complying with CPR PD 16 7.3, i.e. their need to produce the Original Agreement in Court.

Now, keep the pressure on without let up. Do this by making specific reference to this in your Defence and Allocation Questionnaire (AQ). Throw in some Draft Directions at the AQ stage to suggest the Court may like to conduct a preliminary Hearing to review the documents that matter, such as the Agreement, the Default Notice, the Termination Notice and their failure to comply with CPR 31.14 before Court, and CPR PD 16 7.3 at this 1st preliminary Hearing.

If they produce a Copy Agreement, then no matter what they have stuck onto the back, they will need to ask the Court's Permission to produce what is in fact Hearsay Evidence, see Civil Evidence Act 1995.

Likewise, if they want this Hearsay Evidence to be taken seriously at all, then they will need to bring some hard Evidence to back it up...like a complete ISO Document Management Report from an independently audited system. This needs to show the complete History of the Agreement from Day One to the Day in Court.

It'll also need to explain why they elected to Shred a live Statutory Document.

If they elect to bring a Witness Statement to verify this Copy, ask that he Witness comes to Court for cross-examination. That's when you get to ask them lots of questions about the Document they claim to know so much about. This Witness will need to show they had a direct involement in the Document from Day One, and they too will need to explain why they felt the need to shred a live Statutory Document.

When did the Document arrive, who logged it in, where was it kept, who requested that it be copied, what happened to the Copy, who requested that the Original be Shredded, who has had access to the Copy, how do they know the Front and Rear are from the same Original, dates, history etc...and did the Witness actually work at the bank at that time, and in all of these Departments!

Do you see where this is heading now?

You have to bring this issue to the top of the pile, and never let go once you get it there. Do not be fobbed off, and do not let them fob off the Court with an unenforceable Application Form.

Cheers,

BRW

WOW! Thanks BRW, that's a great help. I'm not very organised so I will have to shape up for this one

Many Thanks

Hi

You could use the pre action disclosure procedure laid out within CPR part 31 to obtain an order that they supply the docs

if you go along this route and they try to press for costs in disclosing then stick Black and Sumitomo to them,the case is relevent where costs are an issue in pre action discovery

just a thought but the tools are there to use if they wont play ball any other way ;)