• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

TheCobbettSlayer v NatWest ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new to this site and it's made interesting reading (and I'm getting paid for doing it which is nice!).

We have sent our first letter into Natwest and according to Royal Mail website it was delivered last Tuesday. It's £8795 since January 2002.

I'm expecting the initial sod off letter but I'm surprised it hasn't come just yet - from reading this and other forums, the first response seems to be flat rejection without any investigation or consideration.

I assume it's too much to hope that they are starting to give consideration to saving themselves a small fortune by just coughing up before they get hit with costs and interest as well and my cheque will be in the post.

I'm also disputing a consolidation loan which I was forced to take to cover my bank charges (or unauthorised borrowing as they like to call it). Having informed them that this was in dispute, they failed to take last months repayment, even though the money was in the account and charged me £38 for the privilige.

I have now had a letter telling me that they have suspended all of our cards until such time as the loan account is brought up to date, thus preventing us from having access to any cash or purchases (well, that was the idea but both our salaries are going elsewhere now so it's not actually a huge deal) but is it actually fair or even legal for a bank to hold you to ransom like that. We have a 16 month old son who seems to be at the mercy of Natwest as to whether we can buy food, nappies etc.

I was angry.....now I'm livid!!!!!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just purchased the Self Help Guide to Small Claims from this site. If you look in the faq's in the review, I can't split the claim up just to keep it in the small claims track - it's all one claim so it will have to go through the county court, probably on the fast track.

As far as I'm aware, Natwest haven't actually been to court yet (that's probably tempting fate) so I'll just have to go for it!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Right - I've had the standard sod off letter from Stuart Higley so it's court time!

I just need some advice though. The account was originally a personal account in my wifes name. When we got together my name was added to the account so any charges between 2002 & 2003, the account was in her name only. Any thing after that is in joint names.

Does she have to initiate a separate claim for the charges made before it became a joint account or do we just plough on with the full claim as it all relates to one account?

Any ideas.

• 1 month later...

NatWest Have Failed To File Acknowledgement. I Have Today Requested Judgement In The Sum Of £22121.95

No news yet - I'm waiting for the application to set aside. I'll be almost disappointed if they don't try.

I intend to fight the application when it arrives on the basis that if judgement is set aside it sends a clear signal to the banks that they don't have to comply with the timescales set by the courts and are free to do as they please. They are not. They have to meet the requirements of the system the same as the rest of us. They have lost the case by default. If the situation were reversed I doubt I would get a set aside so bring it on!

It might add time Karne but at the end of the day they can't be allowed to ride roughshod over the rules. As Oliver says - the rules apply to both sides.

Had an interesting conversation with Natwest today. They rang me to find out why I wasn't paying the loan. I suggested that the woman on the phone spoke to their legal department and default the loan at their peril - if they do I will sue!

She ended up putting the phone down on me (having accused me of being patronising) when, against my better judgement I was forced to tell her that Mansfield County Court had issued judgement against Natwest in the sum of £22000. I don't think she had ever come across this one before as they normally expect to be on the winning side. She had never heard of Stuart Higley and didn't even know that Natwests registered office is 135 Bishopsgate, London.

I came off the phone pmsl.

This arrived in the post this morning

In the Mansfield County Court

To the defendant:

Natwest Bank PLC

135 Bishopsgate

London

EC2M 3UR

It is ordered that you must pay the claimant £22,121.95 forthwith.

I'm obliged your honour:D

They can apply for the set aside (which I will vigourously defend) otherwise dosh me up by Tuesday.

If they don't

IT'S HAMMER TIME!!!!

Thanks for that BW. I don't have the cheque in my hand so I'm not doing the poultry inventory just yet but it's certainly looking OK so far.

With regards to the set aside, a very close relative used to work in the chancery division of the high court. Opinion is that they may be able to demonstrate that they could have filed a defence, the fact is they didn't and are unlikely to be able to give good reason for not doing so. They didn't even acknowledge the claim and buy themselves 28 days to form a defence.

If they choose to pay me I will not object to the set aside. There has been no hearing and I have won by default - no legal precedent has been set so I can't achieve anything for anyone else by arguing.

I'll keep you posted!

It's on the claim form as £8795 in charges, £5216.89 in loan repayments, £6208.78 in settlement of the balance of the loan (the amount quoted in their own default notice to me) and the rest is interest.

Frankly, there will be no shennanigans (and I don't care how you spell it!).

Due to the amount of the judgement, enforcement is complicated and falls into the jurisdiction of the High Sherriffs department and in the event of them failing to comply with the judgement, the costs are astronomical

Had a conversation with the very tedious Alexandra Rogers from Cobbetts today.

6 days after judgement, Natwest have decided to apply for set aside on the basis that they forgot to file acknowledgment. Not the most water tight case but we'll see

The judge has ordered that the application to set aside go to hearing. I've only had this verbally from the court so I'll have to wait and see what the actual wording is before I look at how we deal with it.

I'll keep you posted

• 2 weeks later...

Got the judges directions on Natwests application to set aside today. It says:

Before District Judge **** sitting at Mansfield County Court etc.....

Upon reading the Defendant's application to set judgement aside.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The hearing of this case will take place by way of a telephone conference on 1 NOVEMBER 2006 AT 12.40PM........

The defendants legal representative is ordered to arrange the telephone conference.

The defendants legal representatives must serve a case summary and draft order no later than 4pm on the last working day before the hearing.

All further proceedings in the case are stayed pending the outcome of the Defendant's application.

Am I missing something here? Is the judge hearing the application to set aside or is he hearing "the case". There is no instruction for me to do anything at all and the directions enclosed with the order state that telephone conferences are excluded from the proceedings if "the hearing could result in the final determnation of the whole or part of the proceedings". I have so far not responded to Cobbetts part 18 request until I knew the outcome of the set aside application. Do I do that now or do I wait for the hearing?

I need to be prepared so help please guys!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry - that was me posting on the wifes log in.

Off to kick the cat and prepare for the next step

We don't actually have a cat so that's not an issue.

The Judge didn't order disclosure so I still have that particular trick up my sleeve. I will spend the next few days getting the response to their Part 18 request correct and then hit them with my own.

Goose and Gander springs to mind.

Just doing my CPR Part 18 response and theres a couple of bits I need help with. I've found pretty much everything else I need, just need to clear up a couple of bits.

Please provide the following particulars in support of your claim:

4.1 Please specify the clause(s) pursuant to which the charges were applied.

Not sure how to answer that one

4.3 Please identify in each case the particular breach of contract (by reference to the appropriate term(s) of the contract that the charge related to.

I was thinking of going down the route of "The Claimant refers the Defendant to Paragraph 4.2 below. The Claimant is unable to identify specific clauses which the Defendant claims to have been breached until the matter is heard before a court and that court decides whether the contract is enforceable and/or valid"

Any thoughts or modifications please

Thanks for that giz - I'll wait for a collective opinion before I go in feet first.

Cobbetts have asked for response by 16th November but the judge gave me till 29th so I have a bit of time to get it right.

Thanks for that - it ties in exactly with the part 18 request so I'll use it. My claim hasn't actually been allocated yet but I think thats because of the amount. It's automatically referred to the multitrack but that doesn't alter the fact that I'm litigant in person and they are asking me stuff they already know.

Do I file with it a response to the defence they have submitted (I'm sure we've all seen one) or do I leave it.

The only bit that isn't standard is they dispute that I am entitled to recover the amounts paid in loan repayments. I intend to argue that as the amount of the loan was less than the amount of the unlawful charges I didn't need the loan in the first place.

Morning Gizmo

The amount of the consolidation loan is actually less than the amount of charges made so I'm going for the whole lot as it is a matter of basic maths that if it hadn't been for 9k in charges I wouldn't have needed to borrow 6k to clear my "unauthorised borrowing"

Development this morning - Cobbetts have sent me another copy of their defence and the AQ. Time to put pen to paper:)

No because the loan repayments are repayments I wouldn't have otherwise need to make (and were also a cause for further charges) and the outstanding amount of the loan which I will settle when I win.

Does that make sense?

Ive seen this posted on other threads. Can I get away with using it on mine given the amount involved?

You could argue for Standard Disclosure:

I am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track.

This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is, (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers), that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. This would bring a rapid end, not only to this litigation, but would also likely bring an end to much of the litigation in progress against other high-street banks

Thanks for the quick response Alan - I'll try and get the AQ in today

Thanks people.

The AQ is done as per advice and will be with the court and posted to Cobbetts tomorrow.

Fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are determined to drag this one out. Got a copy of Cobbets AQ this morning - bog standard requesting allocation to M-track.

They have until tomorrow to respond to my Part 18 request but if they get M-track allocation they will be required to disclose anyway so we'll see what happens.:x

I suspect it's a scare tactic - they are estimating £7500 costs. We'll see who's got the most bottle won't we!