sacked on monday should i put it on my cv

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks i was sacked on monday 14th but are taking my previous employer to a court for constructive dismissal but in the mean time i will need to find a new job dont know what to do.

Should i write sacked for gross misconduct or not or leave it blank and can they give me a bad reference as before this my work history was spotless and finding a job is hard enough with out this on my cv.

But as im innocent i feel i have to tell them the truth

Please help regards al

Edited by ADW2002UK

Hi

How long did you work for them?

Many potential employers don't like the fact workers stand up for themselves and know their rights and take an ET action.

Harsh but a reality. Especially in menial type jobs.

Give us some more info to help you get around this problem.

btw Monday was the 13th! Hope you have this correct in your legal calculations for time limits!

Why on earth would you want to put anything at all on your CV, until the 'court' (I presume you mean ET?) has reached a decision?

By your own admission you are bringing a claim for constructive dismissal, the very essence of which must surely be, that it was the actions of your employer that left you with no option but to resign in the face of their fundamental breach of contract.

Should you win your claim, then your were not, '...sacked for gross misconduct...', but quite legally resigned in reaction to their breach.

Thus you would not be misleading anyone by not putting this fact (your employer's allegation) on your CV

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I think thats somewhat black and white elche.

At the current time, the OP HAS been sacked for gross misconduct. Until such a time that ET overturn this decision, this is the case.

In addition, its going to look mighty strange on his CV to put down his prior employer, and not put them as a reference. Also, what does he say when he is asked the inevitable question at interview "Why did you leave your last job"? Any answer other than that he was dismissed for GM is a lie....

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I take your point MR Shed but I feel that at most you should tell a new employer, if you must tell them anything at all, is that the reason for leaving the old job, is subject to litigation and at this stage it would be premature and inappropriate to comment further.

And in addition no-one independent has as yet (I presume) examined the decision of the employer. Hence, whilst the employee may have been dismissed for GM it doesn't mean this dismissal had any legal basis. Surely in contentious dismissals the employee can rightly put forward his version, until such time as a Tribunal reaches an opinion.

Surely this is better than just saying, ' I was dismissed for GM'?

But in fairness the OP doesn't have much in the way of detail around what happened, so i wouldn't wish to speculate further.

Edited by elche

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I agree - its not a straightforward situation.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi Guys,

As a recruiter I can agree with all that this is a tough, yet suprisingly common problem.

I interview 3-4 people a day, and the advise I would give (just my opinion) is don't mention this on your CV, but be as open and honest as possible....in fact seek to bring it up at interview.

As a CV, you are only a piece of paper on an employers desk, which they will skim read at best. However, face to face, you are a real person, with a character and an opportunity to demonstrate your capability.

When screening CV's I would probably bin any with dismissal on them but would and have employ people who were open and honest in the interview, even if they were at fault. I find many employers share my views.

For me, if someone has tried to hide the fact they were dismissed and were dis-honest, that would be game over for me.

Tough one, but I hope this helps.

I'm not a legal expert. Anything I offer is my opinion based on my personal experience, so please get professional, legal advise before taking any action.

When screening CV's I would probably bin any with dismissal on them but would and have employ people who were open and honest in the interview, even if they were at fault. I find many employers share my views.

Since no one else has brought it up, can I just say I don't understand this. Why bin the CVs if you want to reward honesty?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.