• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

angling_man/ Firstplus PPI reclaim***won***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, having just found it, and hope someone can help me out here.

I received a call today from a claims management company, telling me my PPI was missold to me by Firtsplus back in July 2004. They said I can claim upto £21,000 compensation, of which they would take a 25% fee + vat, leaving me around £15k. I'm a bit wary of this and the fact they want 25%, so am considering taking up the case myself. Any advice would be most welcome.

Here's the details of my loan...

I took out a £40k secured loan for consolidating my finances (which I have regretted ever since as it didn't help my financial situation one bit). On top of that loan, they also sold me a 5-year PPI for £7,972, which was included as part of the loan.

The loan was over 240 months, with an initial variable APR of 8.9%.

From what I have read on this forum, it appears the PPI was missold for the following reasons...

1. I was not asked whether I had any other insurance which would cover the loan

2. I was not told I could buy PPI elsewhere to cover the loan

3. I paid upfront for the PPI but it was not explained that there were some PPI policies where you could pay monthly

4. I was informed about the true cost of the PPI as it would incur interest

5. I was told that if I didn't claim, the PPI was free as it would be refunded after the 5 years

So, here are my initial questions...

1. Is it worth making a claim?

2. My APR is variable, but I believe the PPI has cost me around £12,000 so far. Can I claim all of this back?

3. If this money is paid as compensation, rather than taken off the outstanding balance, as the claims company have described to me, how is the compensation for ongoing variable interest over the remainder of the loans term calculated and compensated for?

4. I am currently on a real bitch of a contract, with variable APR they keep increasing for no reason and massive early settlement penalties. Is it possible to get them to make a good will gesture and change this to more agreeable terms?

My current financial situation is such that a lump sum in my pocket would actually be of more use to me than reducing the term or payment amount by having the compensation taken off the outstanding balance.

All comments, thoughts and advice are welcome. If you need more detail, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly welcome to the PPI forum

I too am about to go down this road with a very tricky one i.e 4 co-op loans over last 6 yrs that have been settled and another taken out.

The way i see it YES definetly worth claiming back on the grounds above the way i believe it should be done is they refund all the PPI plus interest to you as they have in all tense and purpose borrowed that money from you then re-finance the current loan without PPI at the APR used when you originally took out the loan whether you use the refund to bring down the balance owed or not is up to you but it should not come off the balance as it was not part of the actual monthly loan repayment.

I would start by sending them a letter explaining your reasons for a refund of PPI along with a PPI S.A.R to get all the information they hold on you regarding this loan that would include the loan agreement,statments of payments etc remember to include a payment to them of £10 which is the statatory fee to search for your info.

When they re-finance the loan that may give you the oppotunity to agree a fixed rate but you will have to cross that path when it arrives.

Hope the above is of help to you.

Regards

Leon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Here is a link to the PP1 S.A.R letter, you will need to adapt it to suit your needs.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/118145-r-subject-access-request.html

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi, found your thread:p

First Plus sent me masses of information and two tapes of phone conversations. It was most useful I can tell you. Now we wait......

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Yes very important rule always get receipts for everything you send never know when you will need them !!!!! good luck

Regards

Leon

Hi Angling man, I am doing one against First Plus also. More or less the same thing as you. I have instructed a solicitor to do it for me. I know they are going to take 25% but I am not able to take the task on myself. I was told it will take quite a few months to process so I will have to wait and see what happens.

I am doing a similar thing with Lloyds Credit card. I took it out before a certain date and seemingly the wording is wrong or something along the lines of that so hopeing to get that settled also.

Good luck anyway with your claim.

raccoon19

Good luck with yours too raccoon19.

The main problem I have with using solicitors is that I stand to get my PPI premium refunded next year anyway, returning £8k to me. I'm concerned that if they win and the payout is less than £10.5k, I will actually get less than £8k after they take their fees.

Hi Angling man, Thats right what you say and when I caught hold of the wording in my letter from the solicitor I have took out an insurance policy. Although it is a free one I am covered incase of things going pear shaped and I dont have to pay anything back to either them or the other side. It also protects me against getting a lower amount where I would be out of pocket.

• 4 weeks later...

I now have the SAR from FirstPlus, but there are some phone calls missing. They've sent me just 4 recordings - one call on 8th July, then 2 calls on 14th July at the end of which I tell them I'll call them back in 20 minutes. Then the next call is on 28th July, 2 weeks later!

It's quite clear from the conversation that there was at least one call prior to 8th July. I also distinctly remember one call in which they told me the PPI was free if I don't claim because they refund the money after 5 years.

Could they have deliberately destroyed those recordings or chosen not to send them to me because it's evidence against them? Is it worth me trying to get a list of calls made & received from my telephone provider to prove they've ommitted a call?

Anyway, in the recordings I do have, they don't even ask about PPI, they just include it in the quote and tell me there's a cash back after 5 years. It's only in the final call that they slip in the word optional when confirming all the details of the loan.

So at no point do they...

1. Ask if I have other insurance which would cover the loan

2. Tell me I could buy PPI elsewhere if I wish

3. Explain that the PPI could be paid monthly

4. Explain the true cost of the PPI due to the interest it would incur

They misled me about the details of the loan too. They told me it was more flexible than a non-secured loan and I could pay in a lump sum whenever I want, which they said non-secured loans don't allow. I've since found out there are huge penalties for lump sum payments and have found the loan much less flexible. I also now know there are plenty of unsecured loans that allow lump sum payments without penalty.

They also never told tell me the loan was variable rate, even though I clearly tell them in the calls I'm looking for a fixed rate loan. I remember calling them to query the first interest rate change letter I received, yet that telephone call recording isn't included in the SAR either.

So, do I have grounds to claim mis-selling of the PPI?

Do I have any grounds for claiming they mis-sold the loan too?

What are my next steps?

Regards,

AM

Looking back at your earlier post about getting the refund, are you sure that you are going to get £8k back? I seem to remember my friends were under the impression that they were going to get everything they had paid back but when I looked into it they would only have got the first year's premiums and not the whole 5 years worth:mad:. They had been misled about that but I couldn't prove that from the phone calls.....

I do think you have enough to go after them - the fact that phone conversations are missing is not helping them as you cannot find anywhere that they have discussed the PPI as you mention above.

Look into what I say about the refund before you decide what to do next.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I've just double checked the documentation. As long long as I haven't made a claim I get my premium, less any Insurance Premium Tax and interest charges, returned as Cashback. However, I do have to claim this 'Cashback' within 30 days of the expiry of the policy.

Is there anything I might have missed?

I am not convinced - there has to be a catch. Can you ring them in the morning to get confirmation of this? I can't believe that they would be so generous:confused: Sorry to be so negative...

BANK CHARGES

Others

Will do. I'll get them to quote the exact amount too.

In the recordings in the SAR they actually state the value of the Cashback. I think the catch is that I have to apply for the Cashback within 30 days of it expiring. I bet loads of people get caught by that because they forget about it after 5 years! :(

You could be right - I will await the result of your enquiry. I suppose if you are right they will still have managed to charge you interest on the premiums for the five years. Might be better to wait, if it is not long, and get the premiums back and then hit them with a claim for the interest on the basis that it was mis-sold:confused:

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hello angling man,

I think the catch is that I have to apply for the Cashback within 30 days of it expiring. I bet loads of people get caught by that because they forget about it after 5 years! :Cry:

Yes you will undoubtedly be 100% correct in this. I would suggest after you have confirmation of the cashback that when you come to claim, If it is by post send it special delivery or better still if you can deliver by hand and ask for a written receipt on the spot.;) The thing is to ensure proof of delivery within the 30 day timescale as they may well try and deny getting the claim:eek:

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

So that is where they score then, on the interest!!! It is obscene. I think you are right to try and claim it now - assuming of course that they have some money left to pay you with:eek:

BANK CHARGES

Others

Well I know they have stopped doing secured loans as of a couple of months ago, so not sure about their current situation.

However if you still have an outstanding balance then you can get whatever you reclaim offset against it in this world of virtual money.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hello angling man,

If you hit problems getting your cash this is the link that may help get some money back.

FSCS - Financial Services Compensation Scheme    

have a look and put the link in your favourites so it is available if you need it.

Best ever fish was 20lb salmon scotland.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hello angling man,

I just spoke to FirstPlus and they've confirmed I will receive the full £7,972 PPI premium as cashback next year.

AM

PS. Best fish is a 19lb 8oz Common Carp.

Remember to post when you get written confirmation and/or your cheque.

I would actually suggest you get that in writing now and not accept a phone call as confirmation. Best in black and white methinks;)

And well done on a quality Carp.:D

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from