Monument-al Vil-ains and Faultless Fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5766 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - first time here so be kind and help me out. Spent last three of four hours chasing one thread after another - fascinating stuff, you guys know your onions.

My problem is this, back in May06 I took a loan to clear a monument credit card and fine -until Aug 06 when I got a call from the company reporting some unusual activity -they told me that some, 'foreign-sounding' man had been trying to buy airline tickets to Pakistan on my card and they got suspicious - I knew nothing of it and told them such. They said fine and that they would halt the card and montior attempts at future activity. I was told to contact Experian and get a copy of my credit - this turned up and the people who were conducting the fraud had been allowed to 'transfer' the address without my consent to an address in London - I live in Darlington about 250 miles further North. I contacted Experian and upon their advice got them to put a note on alerting other financial institutions as to this fraud and my complete innocence and that any future attempts needed a password that they logged for me. Despite this further transactions were allowed and a month later no-one had actually been to the address listed to 'interview' said occupants that were still using that address to try and get more from my card. The debt they ran up was about £883.

Sure enough having been assured from Monument that this was sorted and I would not be held responsible - I dutifully received a letter threatening legal action from VIL ltd. I did, before I knew of this site and its sagely advice, ring them and assured them that this had been a credit card fraud, registered with Monument and Experian etc and that therefore they would understand if I declined to pay them, anything, ever...

They persisted to harass me and then it all went quiet - mostly because my mobile number changed. Then after all this time I received a letter this weekend gone,to my Mum's address where I had been staying in between houses at the time of taking the card out. It says I have 7 days before they will 'recommend' legal action blah blah court costs blah blah CCJ blah blah bailiffs blah blah - no signature or name at the bottom :

So... do I need to respond at all, do I apply for the CCA ? do I take this seriously, take legal advice? Suggestions please.

thanks

Do you have any written correspondence of the actions taken at the time of the fraud?

Did you involve the police?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi , the trouble is it was so long ago and I believed it to be sorted so do not have anything other than a copy of the Experian report and I was told by the credit card company that they would log it with the authorities and so did not do so myself. If only I had known then...

Do you have the credit card statements for the Monument account?

A request for your credit agreement is not really relevant in this case (although you want to do this for the sake of interest). What you should do is request for SAR, and include such things as your agreement, correspondence, telephone call logs and transcripts, notices etc. as well as statements.

The statements should should the unlawful transactions. The telephone call recordings should put you in the clear, although it is unlikely that they will still exist. However the call logs should help to some extent.

The change of address is most odd - there should be something in writing to cover that, and I'm sure you would love to see it.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)