"Match day" parking ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently parked outside a friend's house in Islington on a Saturday morning for a few minutes and bought a ticket. Later in the day I returned and parked in the same bay but, as it was outside the normal hours (0830-1330), I didn't buy a ticket.

The sign said that, on match days, extra restrictions applied (1330-1630). There was, however, no indication that it was a match day (no signs on the street or attached to the usual lamppost notices).

I cannot seem to find much information about similar cases and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience around this matter - your help would be greatly appreciated!

So far I haven't responded to the ticket and I'm considering my options. I would definitely like to fight it as I don't think it's unreasonable to ask how I was supposed to know the extra hours were in force (no quips about my lack of football knowledge please!).

:-x DB :-x

Was this near the Emirates Stadium? I know someone recently didn't have much luck there after getting a ticket on matchday.

What does the signage look like exactly? And can we see the PCN? (minus personal details)

It was on Halton Road (just past Highbury Corner), quite far from the stadium but I guess still within the catchment area for supporters.

The sign was just a standard parking sign with another one bolted on underneath with the generic match day information. It was definitely a permanent sign though and therefore nothing to distinguish this particular day.

With regards to the PCN, the "Contravention Code" was stated to be "05P - Parked after the expiry of paid for time" and allegedly occurred at 1530. I guess this was given as I still had the old ticket in the window (expired 1131), although I obviously wasn't parked there in between the two events.

I can try and scan it in tonight if I get a chance.

I can't think off the top of my head how to work images without webspace. Someone should know.

Your ticket has been issued for the expiration of your pay and display. It has nothing to do with the match day times - that would be '01 Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours'.

Yeah that's what I thought and I was going to protest that the ticket was an old one etc. but I didn't think that was a valid argument as they would then ask me to show proof I had a ticket for the period in question (at which point I would have to argue the match day thing anyway). Is any of this making sense/do I have any hope in fighting it?

need to see all of the PCN. It's a legal document. That said, I think current Islington ones are probably compliant.

-

Islington info is as follows. They claim that signs were viewable on entrance to the controlled parking zone.

Match Day Parking

Yeah I noticed that too on the website. Went to have a look at the area again yesterday and found the signs as you turn into the street. Not very obvious but they are there I guess.

What are your thoughts about arguing about the error with the contravention?

Yeah I noticed that too on the website. Went to have a look at the area again yesterday and found the signs as you turn into the street. Not very obvious but they are there I guess.

What are your thoughts about arguing about the error with the contravention?

It is the correct contravention as you were parked with an expired ticket I cannot see how you can argue you were not?

It is the correct contravention as you were parked with an expired ticket I cannot see how you can argue you were not?

Agree. Very difficult to argue since it is favourable to you: The alternative would have been £120-

-

Yeah I'm not sure where I'm going with this one. I just thought there might be a chance I could argue that the expired ticket hadn't "expired" per se, but rather was an old one that was just left there and therefore the actual contravention was not having a ticket. Nice idea perhaps but probably not on to a winner there.

Both contraventions are the same level of penalty.

Nope.

If 'time expired' equates to £80- - lower level penalty

then they are using a scale where higher level penalties i.e. 01 as you say - are £120-

You are welcome to check. try dfT operational guidance 'annexe' or London Councils who actually define the contraventions. the latter is a pig to find though.

Many Council sites also describe them. *

The choice of penalty scales is also defined but in each case the lower and higher amounts are specified.

-

Edited by Ting

Yeah I'm not sure where I'm going with this one. I just thought there might be a chance I could argue that the expired ticket hadn't "expired" per se, but rather was an old one that was just left there and therefore the actual contravention was not having a ticket. Nice idea perhaps but probably not on to a winner there.

To be honest, I can't see you have any case whatsoever from what you say so far.

Not something I like to say - or do lightly - but at least you know where you stand.

-

Nope.

If 'time expired' equates to £80- - lower level penalty

then they are using a scale where higher level penalties i.e. 01 as you say - are £120-

You are welcome to check. try dfT operational guidance 'annexe' or London Councils who actually define the contraventions. the latter is a pig to find though.

Many Council sites also describe them.

The choice of penalty scales is also defined but in each case the lower and higher amounts are specified

Expired tickets and 'no p&d' are always on the same scale regardless of which scale is used, unless in a permit bay.

Expired tickets and 'no p&d' are always on the same scale regardless of which scale is used, unless in a permit bay.

Ah yes. i agree. It wasn't you who mentioned '01' but someone else.

There again, we don't know where he parked do we - or did I miss that too?

-

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on my case. I made formal representations against the PCN on receiving the Notice to Owner, those were rejected, so I appealed to PATAS. Islington didn't bother to produce a copy of the PCN apparently so the adjudicator threw it out. Shame, would have liked to know whether they would have held up my argument or not!

Never mind, good result. Thanks for all your help!