Dealing with an Irish Credit Card Debt

scode99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for any advice on the best way of dealing with an Irish credit card debt that I am now being chased after and threatened by an England based debt collector to be taken to court. I was living in Dublin and left in 2003 for England. Since then I have been dutifully repaying my credit card balance of about €4500 with AIB Mastercard.

Towards end of last year a catalogue of personal disasters occurred which left me unable to service the debt and I paid the last installment in November. AIB bank has now engaged the services of Global Debt Recovery who are based in Surrey. I received a phone call from one of their representatives on Monday morning while at work threatening that they would take me to County for recovery of the debt now standing at around €5400 if I did not call them back within the next 48hrs to settle the matter.

It is only now that I am getting back on my feet financially and this has unsettled me as I cannot yet pay anything towards that debt as it is right at the bottom of my list with more pressing matters to be taken care of first.

This afternoon just after 2.00pm received another call from the same man at Global Dedt Recovery and he was very rude and threatening asking why I did not call him back and that they are unwilling to take me to court but I am forcing them to do so by end of the week. I told the 'gentleman' to stop calling me at work and if he has anything to say he can write to me.

How best can I deal with this for now? And if they take me to court what are my chances?

It is usual for credit card agreements to state which country's law it is subject to - for example, most UK card agreements are subject to English law, and it would seem odd for a ROI-based card issuer to base its contracts on another country's law.

It would be interesting to know how Global think they (or their client) can bring proceedings in a Court which may not have jurisdiction.

The first move is to send them a CCA request (letter N in the templates) - this should produce a copy of the agreement, and should give us a starting point.

Yes CCA them.

Head your letter up with, "I do not ackowledge this debt from you."

A quick word of advise - NEVER talk to them on the phone, they will say just about anything, knowing it can't be proved what was said.

David

• 3 months later...