• Tweets

• Shocking costs created by Tory led Government in 2012. Taxpayers brace for £100bn money-printing bill – as George Osborne says it’s ‘not my responsibility’ MSN WWW.MSN.COM  
    • Sorry, I may have forgot to get back on this. Please monitor for a reply tomorrow
    • Yes, now its just about getting the WS / Court bundle finalised to send to the court / Evri. I've attached the most recent version of the WS / Court bundle to save having to scroll back up to the previous post (#204) where it was also shared. If you, @BankFodder or anyone else has any feedback on this, i'd be grateful for your thoughts. In my previous post #204, i'd also attached an invoice from Packlink which shows that I was charged by Packlink for these services: "drop-off at Her mes - Next day delivery" and "Proof of Delivery". It also has the payer's address and there are "Origin" and "Destination" fields which have the postcode of the sender [origin] and the recipient [destination] - I have redacted personal details in the attached invoice.  I am already including this in my evidence bundle (without the redaction) but wanted to share this redacted version so that other people can consider this as example in their bundle of Packlink and Evri's contract being instigated by the sender of the parcel who has paid for the service, and further shows that there is information in the invoice to identify that a third party beneficiary (the sender / recipient) is involved in this transaction. I have also attached this redacted invoice in this post to save having to scroll back up. Happy to get any thoughts and if this invoice is no good, then please let me know.   Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf Packlink invoice - REDACTED.pdf
    • Does anyone know if I would be allowed to record conversations with health professionals for my own use on my phone without them knowing. I know that we are allowed to record phone calls. I do record some of my phone calls for my own use due to my disability and if anything is said then I am covered. I would only record audio in private area's of myself and the professional dealing with me. I know I could not get and other persons audio in it and I don't intend to. my only other option is to buy a body cam but I am not sure the rules regarding this.I never thought i would have to but things are getting worse Thanks for any guidance 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AMEX and RMA

rory1968
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,I will try to explain situation as clearly as possible,so,bear with me.I have been with AMEX since Jan 2005 and had the odd few late payments.I then had over a year of regular payments and they reduced my interest rate.About 3 months aga i ot a letter saying they were reducing my limit to £6K.The balance was about £5900 at the time.I had some cash flow problems,so,missed a couple of payments.At the end of June I send them payment to bring account up to date and a letter explaining previous financial difficulties.I thought no more about it until mid July when I stated to get phone calls from RMA.I have not returned any of their calls as I did not know who they were.

At the weekend I went to pay my AMEX online and it said card cancelled.I could not make a payment and the previous payment I sent was not logged against the account.

I then received a letter from Thames solicitors saying AMEX had transferred account to RMA and I needed to phone RMA within 7 days to avoid legal action.

What should I do?I am happy to pay debt,but,after reading the forum about RMA;I know I can't afford to pay large installments.I noticed that the debt online was £6400,but,on the legal letter was £7100.

Please help me!

Hello Rory1968!

Welcome to CAG.

In your position, I would take a step back, take a deep breath, and perhaps start to look at this from your own point of view rather than theirs.

The alleged Account has been Canelled, or so they say, so it sounds like they have burned all the bridges as far as you ever going back to using that Card again. However, they are still trying to enforce this, so there has to be an Agreement somewhere that allows them to do this, i.e. Amex and RMA and anyone else that comes onto the scene.

Right, so I'd start by taking stock of the true position so that you can regain some control over this.

(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 s78(1) Request

Firstly, you need to see what Agreement they have that binds you to this Alleged Debt. I'd therefore send them a Consumer Credit Act 1974 Statutory Request to see a true Copy of your Properly Executed Consumer Credit Agreement.

The Fee for this is just £1 (use Postal Orders from now on, as they don't need your Signature, see below for why this is important), and they have Twelve Working Days to Respond. A suitable Letter is Letter N below:

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

I'm assuming it is a Credit Card, as you mentioned Interest Rates and Credit Limits, in this case, s78(1) is correct. You can read all about the Consumer Credit Act 1974 here:

Consumer Credit Act 1974

Just click on any of the Sections in the above Link, such as Section 78 to read what s78(1) is all about.

(2) Data Subject Access Request

Now, gather all of your Statements, so that you can work out what, exactly, you owe, and if there are any Unlawful Charges...sounds like you have a few I'd say.

If you don't have any Statements, or if any are missing, then I'd invest £10 and send Amex a Data Subject Access Request. They have 40 Calendar Days to respond to that. A suitable Letter is here:

1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

Have a read around the Forums first, as you may like to make the SAR a hard hitting one, that asks them to leave no stone unturned in seeking out any and all Data that relates to you.

You can Sign Letters to Amex but, when you do so, Sign it in such a way that your Signature cannot be easily copied and add some extras that you would not normally do, so you can tell if you see this Signature again (an extra Dot or two, that sort of thing).

One way to make it hard to Copy is to Sign over a Pattern, i.e.

AmexSucksAmexSucksAmexSucks

RMASucksRMASucksRMASucksRMA

AmexSucksAmexSucksAmexSucks

Never Sign a Letter to a Debt Collecting Agency (DCA), as they cannot be trusted with it. Always Print your name when writing to any of those fine people.

You don't want a nice crisp copy of your Signature falling into the wrong hands, to later appear on a bogus Agreement or Letter!

(3) Some Beancounting

Now go through all of your figures, and start to outline how much you spent, how much you Paid back, how much Interest you were charged, plus how many unlawful charges were applied.

Soon, you may see that the Debt you thought you owed, may not be quite as simple as you first thought. You may even find that you have Spent less than you have Paid back, and the remaining Balance is largely made up of the sum total of their Interest and Charges.

Still want to Pay them in full?

I thought not!

So, it's vital that you now establish what you really do owe, and establish what Right they have to make you Pay it. If it's all Interest and Charges, and they fail to come up with an Enforceable Agreement, then your fight-back can begin. Likewise, even if they do have an Enforceable Agreement, you must see if you can claim back, or Counter-Claim back any Unlawful Charges, and Interest on them too!

(4) Keep Things in Writing

Right, from now on, do not admit anything, and KEEP EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

Don't speak to any of them via Telephone, ever.

(5) Harassment

If they are Calling you, then start Logging all Calls by Time/Date, and if you happen to get caught by them, then just get every Caller's Full Name and hang up. Don't speak to them apart from this, and/or just don't answer the Telephone if you prefer.

If they are bothering you, then this is Harassment, and the more evidence you can build up against them, the better. There may be scope to Counter-Claim against them.

If they are really annoying, then start thinking about Recording Calls.

(6) Some Light Bedtime Reading

Next, get reading on CAG (this will take up lots of your Bedtime), and take a look at my Thread below:

Trigger Happy Amex

That has many Links to some of the Amex Threads that are dotted around CAG. Read them all, and you will start to see what sort of people you are up against.

I think that is enough to get you going!

Good luck with your battle. It won't be over quickly, but if you run through the above steps, you should start to get some control back.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 2

Thanks BRW, I will start off the process today.The bit I am worried about is my employer provides me with a corporate card and when reading some other threads it seems that they cancel one they cancel the rest.The corporate card still works,but,recently when buying some train tickets,the guy at the station was asked to phone them.They told him it was a routine check and authorised payment.All my corporate bills are paid automatically by my company.If I push back;do you think they will cancel my corporate card?The corporate card does not appear on any credit files.Thanks for you help so far.

Edited by rory1968

Hello Rory1968!

I push back do you think they will cancel my...?

Well, you can only trust a banker about as far as you can throw one, so never rule anything out.

However, the recent Check could well have been Routine, I wouldn't read too much into it. It could just be that you did something outside of your usual Spending Pattern, so their system burped up a check.

The fact that it is Paid by your people should mean it's safe.

However, I've kept this Reply general, so perhaps now might be a good time to go back and edit your last Post #4 to remove any Reference to you-know-what-Card!

That way, if they figure out who you are from this Thread, they won't see anything else to stimulate their little vindictive imaginations!

In summary, I can't see a cross-over. It's just one of those things you need not worry about until something happens. I can't see that it will.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Thanks BRW,

have sent off CCA letter via recorded delivery to RMA and amex.I also received a hand written card in the post from an individual at RMA saying he would be calling between 8am and 9pm this Friday or possibly Saturday.I got a printed one last week saying I would get a call last Thursday,but,nothing.Is this likely to be the same tactic(most probably means a phone call)?

I did add to the bottom of the CCA letter that I would only communicate with them via post from now on.I asked them not to contact me by phone or in person.

Should this be ok?or do I need to do anything else?

This is doing my head in!

Thanks again

Hello Rory1968!

I also received a hand written card in the post from an individual at RMA saying he would be calling between 8am and 9pm this Friday or possibly Saturday.I got a printed one last week saying I would get a call last Thursday,but,nothing.Is this likely to be the same tactic(most probably means a phone call)?

It's probably just a Threat Tactic, as the ones who make visits, tend to visit, whereas the ones who just make Threats to visit, tend to just make Threats.

However, it is not nice to be sent such Harassing nonsense so, just in case they are serious, send them something along these lines:

In the event that you intend to escalate the above Harassment to include Doorstep calls by your Employees or your Agents, please be advised that under the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) Rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have absolutely no wish to make an appointment with you. There is no need, as written communication is quite acceptable in Law.

Please note, there is only an implied license under Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore, take note that I revoke license under Common Law for your Employees, or your Agents or your Representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, then you will be liable to Damages for a Tort of Trespass and Civil Action will be taken.

Send that to anyone that pops up on your scope demaning Payments. I tend to add it to any Letter where I can squeeze it in, just in case. This means they are in the wrong the moment their agent steps onto your land or property.

Also, keep a copy of this somewhere handy by the Door, all ready to shove under the bugle of anyone annoying enough to pitch up...then slam the Door! No need to say anything to them, well, I can think of a couple of words, but I'll just get CAG-Botted again (an edited Post for typing rooooood words)!

BTW, keep everything they ever send you, including the Envelopes, as they may help to show if they have been creatively back-dating Letters. I'm working on those little Orange Barcodes that Royal Mail adds, as I have a feeling they contain a Date! When I can read these Barcodes, lots and lots of Envelopes could reveal Dates that the bankers never thought would come back to catch them out!

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Rory1968!

Was this taken out in around Jan 2005 as you say above, or was it earlier?

It looks like something they would send to get you to Sign, but towards the Top Right, it says Interactive Signature Form.

I'm asking this, as this may suggest it was an on-line Application.

That's my main concern, but the Form seems to be a Paper/Written Agreement, so does not look like something you completed with a few clicks of a Mouse.

If it is a Written Agreement, then what they have sent so far has no sign of any Prescribed Terms.

Did they send anything else, i.e. anything on the Reverse, or a 2nd Page or Terms and Conditions?

Cheers,

BRW

Hello Rory1968!

Was this taken out in around Jan 2005 as you say above, or was it earlier?

It looks like something they would send to get you to Sign, but towards the Top Right, it says Interactive Signature Form.

I'm asking this, as this may suggest it was an on-line Application.

That's my main concern, but the Form seems to be a Paper/Written Agreement, so does not look like something you completed with a few clicks of a Mouse.

If it is a Written Agreement, then what they have sent so far has no sign of any Prescribed Terms.

Did they send anything else, i.e. anything on the Reverse, or a 2nd Page or Terms and Conditions?

Cheers,

BRW

Hi BRM,

I did apply on-line and then I must have got the form above in the post.They sent me some terms and conditions with the CCA request.They were enclosed with the form.I took this out in early 2005,

thanks,Rory

Hello Rory!

In that case, I think you would be wise to send a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to Amex along with the Statutory Fee of £10 (Postal Order is best).

A S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) is becoming the best thing to use these days, as they should send a full Copy of the Agreement via the SAR.

This should help to pin down exactly what they do have, as a CCA Request response is being so diluted these days. The bankers seem to be getting away with sending almost any old rubbish in response to a CCA Request.

I'd hit them with a very hard hitting SAR, i.e. ask for absolutely everything they have including the Kitchen Sink if it has your name anywhere near it!

Call Logs, Transcripts of Calls, copies of all correspondence, copies of emails, copies of Statements, copies of anything that mentions you or that can identify you by name, address, old address, postcode, telephone numbers...anything!

If you check around on CAG, you'll find the basic SAR Letter, but others have added to this to spell out that you want everything they have.

Not that you'll get everything, but do ask for it. At least then if they produce something later, they will need to explain where that came from and why it was not in your SAR.

This may confirm if all they have is a single sided Copy of the alleged Agreement. IOW, no Prescribed Terms. Likewise, it may show if it's just a Copy and not the real Original thing.

To enforce a Written Agreement in Court, they will need the Original, see:

CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3

7.3 Where a claim is based upon a written agreement:

(1) a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing, and

(2) any general conditions of sale incorporated in the contract should also be attached (but where the contract is or the documents constituting the agreement are bulky this practice direction is complied with by attaching or serving only the relevant parts of the contract or documents).

The SAR should also reveal if they have anything that was completed on-line that they could argue contained Prescribed Terms. I doubt that, otherwise why did they send you a Paper Agreement to Sign?

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• 1 month later...

Got a letter from RMA about 2 weeks ago saying they were willing to offer a discount if I settled.I did not respond to the letter.I was just going to send an SAR letter this weekend to check where i am with AMEX.

Today,I received a statutory demand letter from their solicitors.What should I do?I have not got the money to pay them,but,don't want to lose my house.Please,please help me with regard to the best course of action.Thanks,Rory

Hello Rory!

A Statutory Demand is nasty little trick that Amex, in particular, are very fond of.

However, like all things when it comes to bankers, just take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and then set about the task of dealing with this in a cold and clinical fashion. Things are never as bad as all that once you get your teeth into the problem.

Have a read of this Thread ASAP:

Statutory Demands and Service By Post

It could be possible that this is an otiose Threat that they have no intention of pressing ahead with. Indeed, even if they do, there could be money in this for you. Judges are getting very tired of bankers and DCAs using their Courts as an extension of banking Harassment tactics.

You can get Costs, and these can add up. They may even Buy your Christmas Tree and Turkey for you! It could be a little Christmas Present from Amex if you handle this well.

Look around CAG, as there are many Threads that cover how to handle a Statutory Demand (SD).

It must be dealt with, one way or another. You must also move swiftly, now that they have done the dirty on you.

You must now do some spade work, I regret, and read as many CAG SD Threads as you can. This Weekend would be good, don't put it off any longer than that.

On a brighter note, I think you will soon get a handle on what this is about. Then you can decide what to do. Ask questions, if I can't help, I'm sure many others will gladly join in to give you good advice.

Keep your chin up, and don't let this get you down. It is a Threat, all they want is to force you into Paying them. Remember they'll use every nasty little trick they can until you show them you are not someone that they can mess around.

Cheers,

BRW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Have been looking at SD info on the site,and it looks as if this SD is the business.I had 2 phone calls from the solictor on the SD request asking me to contact them urgently.I just need to know should I ring them back?I could at a push get hold of about 80% of what AMeX say I owe,but,unsure what to do next.can't risk bankruptsy,but,this is really getting me down.any suggestions would be really appreciated,thanks,Tory

Hello rory1968!

Whilst a Statutory Demand must be taken seriously, do read the Thread I suggested above, repeated below again for convenience:

Statutory Demands and Service By Post

One thing that appears to be missing in all of this, is a Default Notice.

Despite what Amex thinks it can do, it can't just Terminate your Account because it woke up one morning and thought that would be a good idea.

I am aware Amex have a clause in their Terms that say they can Terminate an Account without notice, but what Amex have neglected to take into account, is this is the United Kingdom, and any such Card Agreement is almost certainly Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The thing they should have organised at the very outset, is a properly executed Regulated Credit Agreement.

The clue is in the name. It's Regulated by the above Act. This thing...

Consumer Credit Act 1974

Note Sections 87 and 88, and especially note the heading where those Sections live:

Part VII Default and Termination

Please understand that the Act assumes that one side of the Agreement will be a Consumer. It also assumes that the other side to the Agreement will be a mega huge and sophisticated Financial Organisation which has a never ending life, as its so huge and sophisticated.

In other words, the Act does not give these huge and sophisticated Organisations an easy way out, because it was never imagined that they would want a way out provided the Consumer is keeping to his/her side of the Agreement.

However, the Act does give them a way out if, and only if, the Consumer goes pear-shaped on them and does not keep to the Agreement.

That get out is outlined in the above main Section, and covered by s87 and s88. These make it clear that they need to issue the Consumer with a valid Default Notice. The Notice is a warning that it's all going pear-shaped, and the Notice must say what needs to be done to remedy this.

They are required to get that right. The Notice must be set out in the Prescribed way, accurate in terms of the money that must be paid that has not, at that stage been paid, and it must allow you the Statutory 14 Days to remedy the position from Date of Service.

If you paid up what was demanded in the Default Notice, then s89 of the Act says that everything goes back to normal, as if nothing pear-shaped ever happened, the exact words being:

...the breach shall be treated as not having occurred.

However, if you ignored what was demanded in the Default Notice, only then can they Terminate and close the Account. Only then can they ask for both the Arrears you owed in the past, and the Balance you owed in the future. It's this early Payment of a sum that was otherwise only owed in the future that is the key point I'm getting at. They can only ask you to Pay that future sum if they Defaulted and Terminated lawfully.

Now, if Amex went ahead and Terminated your Account without sending you a valid Default Notice, then they have made a mistake. Potentially a big mistake, as this then becomes an Unlawful Rescission of Contract. There is some Case Law that suggests you can ask for Compensation, but we won't go into that just yet...well...OK...twist my arm, check this out:

EFFECT OF FAILURE TO DEFAULT AND TERMINATE AN AGREEMENT CORRECTLY

Failure of a Default or Termination Notice to be accurate not only invalidates such Notice, (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co NLD 14 July 1998 ) but is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt, (Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2003] UKHL 40, Wilson v Robertsons (London) Ltd [2006] EWCA Civ 1088, Wilson v Pawnbrokers [2005] EWCA Civ 147) but would also give the Claimant a claim for damages in the sum of £1,000. (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119)

Forget what their Terms say they can do, as that part of their Terms can be disregarded because it goes against the Act...and never forget the Agreement (if one exists that is), is Regulated by the Act.

Please also read my Post on the following Thread, which may help to understand Default Notices and how getting them wrong can dramatically affect what the Creditor can chase you for after Unlawful Termination:

Consumer Credit Act Agreements

OK, going back to the Statutory Demand. The main task to get that set aside is to show the alleged Debt is in Dispute.

If you follow what I have said above, I think you have some strong arguments to show this alleged Debt is seriously in Dispute.

I do hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Thanks BRW,

SD's are a nightmare.Westminister solicitors asked me to contact them urgently.I am not sure if I should.I have checked the royal mail website and proof of delivery is there with my signature,so,can't say it never arrived.I am just trying to draft a letter as it has to be in by tomorrow.I have had to book 2 days off work,so,as to try and sort this out.I cannot find a default notice,so,this is probably the route I will follow.

Any advice from anyone would be great

• 4 months later...

Hi,

well all went quite when Westminsters withdrew SD.Now passed onto AIC and StevensDrake.The usual letters,but,straight away put in a payment questionairre etc.Interestingly the amount I now owe is less than before!.AIC had one figure and Drakes another.Should I just CCA them both again?.Drakes have been much more active than Wesrminster,thanks,Rory

• 2 weeks later...

My Amex went to RMA who were nasty, but gave up and is now with AIC.

Had a nice chat with them the other day, very pleasant. They want me to send them a CCA request, and a holding payment of £xx to prevent going to court, hmm. Well I shall CCA them but they are not getting any cash yet!

Also RMA added a fee (and on letters couldn't even add 2 numbers together correctlly :lol:), but AIC haven't, just quote "outstanding" amount which is less than before.

Good luck to you!

PPI reclaims:

RBS: Received stat interest on premiums - £2345, awaiting premiums refund (possible offset)

Blackhorse: Confirmed upheld, awaiting letter - circa £2k

Charges reclaimed:

Barclaycard £800 + 8% - Full refund

MBNA £780 (incl. 8%) - full refund