style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have arrears of 2007 council Tax with Glasgow City council. Originally it got to the stage where Sheriff Officers A had gotten one of these attachment orders which I challenged and A appeared to back down and accepted a repayment plan. Meanwhile I have continued to pay my 2008 Council Tax Bill on time. I have also been keeping to my repayment agreemen in respect to my 2007 arrears.

Today a letter from a new Sheriff Officers B. This letter states that they have been appointed by Glasgow City council to recover from me the outstanding amount. They then go on to to say that it os essential that i contact them wothin 7 days and arrange settlement of these arrears , or to re-negotiate any agreement i had with A. They then say failure to contact them may result in enforcement action proceeding against me without further notice. Thhey then go on to say that i should make all payments directly to them and not to A.

Anyone else experienced this tactic from these people?

There is also a bit where they show what appears to be like a statement of account that shows payments received as being nil. Although it may be that they are showing that i have made them no payments.

Another question should they be showing assignment deeds?

Though I am reading some threads and it would appear that i may be able to ignore them and go drectly to the council -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs-sheriff-officers/58550-council-tax-bailiffs.html

Does this link above apply to scotland?

Edited by RFC1872

• 2 weeks later...

Scottish Law is different to English - I know nothing about Scots Law - can I suggest that you ask a moderator to move this thread to the section on scottish debts and law

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

It would be worth asking your council just when exactly they passed it from Thug A to Thug B, and when they informed you of it. As far as you are aware you are still dealing with A, and keeping up your payments. In England its called "Assignment". They should at least have the courtesy to tell you, otherwise, any old Tom, Dick or Harry could come along and say you owe money.

Get it in wriring from your council, that it now belongs to Thug B before you do anything else. It might also be worth asking Thug A for a statement of account, so that you see how much has been paid (as well as using it as evidence, should it get nasty with Thug B).

As for the fact it's in Scotland, I'm afraid I can't comment on that, as it's already been mentioned, Scots law would be different.

Thanks for the replies, I will now be approaching glasgow city cooncil and asking them about about change from a to b. Also I will be offering to make the payments direct.

I have a feeling the switch from a to b is so they can attempt to ask for more. It appears the cooncil has not managed its budget well, the big cooncil they call an assembly has frozen any chance they had of increasing the council tax bills. So I s'pose its a strategy to increase the income from those who found themselves in arrears.