urgent AA inspection repot advice

khoshtip_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I have taken out AA inspection in a vehicle so I get an idea on whether to purchase the car or not. Unfortunately the repost seems to be very confusing/misguiding and useless for following reasons.

• In many parts of the report it has been suggested that I take the car to main dealer for further investigation and diagnoses (sounds like they don’t want to be responsible for what they suppose to do )
  • Comparing my report with another report which was done for a friend ( both are same model and year) and both were services between 6-7 month ago. On my report it has been suggested to take the car to dealer for full service and brake test as this may reveal more info where as on the other report it has been confirmed that there is no immediate service required and recomended to ollow manufacturers recomendation … note both cars have done 5000 miles since last service…

I phoned Jaguar main dealer and they confirmed that service is not required for this car yet, service is required once a year or every 12,500miles! it looks like their advice is not professional and reasonable?

• Engine check section of report indicates there has been no Excess fumes/smoke (=No) where as under Road test section Excesss smoke = Yes. As part of essential report there is note saying Exxess smoke present on final drive – investigate & cure

under essential repairs section: There are at least 2 other occasions where I have been asked to investigate and cure. for first component same item has previously been marked as satisfactory where as on the second occasion same item has been marked as essential repair required prior t purchase on the main report too.

I’m really disappointed because I thought taking their inspection will guide me to right direction but its not. Spoken to garage they think there is nothing wrong with the car however they will have a quick word with their mechanic about my concerns and see if work is required ... and not happy to refund my deposit .they are also saying report is mainly asking for further investigation for some of the issues …. There is no point for me to pay hundreds of pound to do further diagnoses as garage will not fix the issues anyway …

I’m very much confused and donno which way to go. I still have a copy of car advertise which claims this car is very reliable and in great condition through out . it was also verbally confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the car and I shall receive refund incase of any major major issue found.

Can I push garage and ask for deposit as well as money which I spent on AA inspection on the basis that their car is not as described as per AA's inspection ?

Or can I push AA at all?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by khoshtip_uk

I belive when it comes to Banks,Insurance and Phone Company's we should challenge them hard even for a penny!! yes, even a penny !! they dont deserve much ! Legal Robbers !!!

Just some more update. Taken the report to Jaguar to estimate cost of labour and parts as per report. They are not able to give me estimate cost as report is too generic and needs further inspection to find what’s exactly wrong. .they also told me that I should have taken the car to them to inspect in first place rather than AA as no point of paying twice for inspection…. Spoken to AA engineer they agree that Jaguar needs to inspect again too ….

Thanks for your advice

I belive when it comes to Banks,Insurance and Phone Company's we should challenge them hard even for a penny!! yes, even a penny !! they dont deserve much ! Legal Robbers !!!

Unfortunately I don't think you will have any luck asking the AA to refund you. You asked them to inspect the car and they have done that. I don't think the garage has any liability to refund the fee either, they didn't tell you to get the AA involved.

Despite numerous bodies recommending that you should get a car inspected before purchase, the motoring associations are not the best and you will see on their report somewhere a disclaimer. I'm not sure what qualifications their inspecting engineers hold.

You can't expect a used car to be perfect in every way, the original owner probably wouldn't have sold it if it was perfect.

If you want this car, then negotiate a warranty (in writing) with the selling dealer that will make you happy and see any faults repaired at their expense.

Don't forget you also have the sale of goods act to back you up.

• Haha 1

Hi Conniff,

Thanks for your advice; I think garage has misrepresented the car in first place, as it was not as described. I wouldn’t have risked paying AA if knew it wasn’t in good condition in first place.

With regard to the AA, I understand that they were there to give me their opinion based on visual assessment.

Saying this we shouldn’t forget the amount of money we paying and service to expect from AA’s qualified engineers. I could have paid £20 to the guy working in garage down the road and took him or a friend too,

I think the fact that Jaguar itself is rejecting the engineer’s claim that car needs service shows that either engineer is trying to be too smart or not qualified. Which makes the report look less worthy to me.

Im trying to put this down in writing and see what happens.

Thanks