Ethernet over electric plugs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is anyone using those ethernet plugs that plug into a plug socket? Are they any good?

I've just moved, and we have 3 floors now. I'm quite happy to run ethernet cables up and down the stairs but the GF isn't.

First thing she said when we moved in was "I'm not having bloody cables all over the place like last time!"

Yet, she will of course, still expect to be able to stream videos and music to any room in the house. Wireless just isn't good enough, despite having a 270mg wireless router - it's just too fickle for my liking, so was looking for alternatives.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I've not used them myself, but I have some friends who have them plugged in all over the place in their 4 bedroom house and they say they're extremely good. Apparantly, they offer a very stable, fast connection, even between floors.

Thanks for that, I'll have to give them a go I think.

Just been looking on the Internet and the 200mgbit ones are about 100 quid.

Walked round to PC world at lunchtime expecting to see hugely inflated prices and they are 89.99.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

I am glad you started this thread as have been looking at these for a few months now but am lost on what ones are the best to buy ...these are the ones I have been looking at so don't know if they may be any use to you ?

Customers also give feedback on them on that site and after reading loads of them they seem to be ok .

Dave let me know how you get on with whatever ones you decide on

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

LOL...seems that we are all looking to this new tech development...I hate all the ethernet spaghetti too, and get really peeved when my wireless signal degrades in the garden...

I tried the USB wireless dongle...it is fairly pants...

The one I like the look of is the single "receiver" plug that goes near your router, and then lots of "transmitter" plugs that go in the rooms you want...all plugged into the mains sockets...

I guess the effect is a wireless signal version of an amplifier...the only problem is that you get one of each plug in a set, when what you really want is one "receiver" and a few "transmitters"

Anyway...subbing to this thread to see who finds the best deals and/or combinations...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yep - they were the same ones as the ones in PC World.

I was about 20 quid short at lunchtime or else I would have bought a pair.

Still, there's always tomorrow.

Personally, I'm more than happy to run cables everywhere as I intend updating my switch to gigabit very soon and these are only 200 mbps, but I'm not 'allowed' to ;-)

------------

------------

...also, while we're on techie stuff, does anyone know of a system where I can convert a 5-lever mortice-locked door into a camera entry system?

I'm getting fed up with running up and down stairs all night, and whilst I have the camera system sorted, I still have to either throw the keys over the balcony or get off my sorry a**e and open the door!

------------

------------

LOL Spicey can you say it in a non tech way :confused:

.ie this make is best or I'l just get lost and I really really need a pc connection that very easy to set up in my loft , without wires .

I'm not saying wireless as my wireless is just SH*T .

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

LOL Spicey can you say it in a non tech way :confused:

.ie this make is best or I'l just get lost and I really really need a pc connection that very easy to set up in my loft , without wires .

I'm not saying wireless as my wireless is just SH*T .

LOL - I think what Dave is looking for is a way to plug machines into these sockets, and connect directly to the network...what I am looking at is a way of boosting the wireless signals around the house and garden for the laptop...

Both technologies use electric plugs to boost and deliver the connection...I want wireless, haven't found any good ones yet...I think Dave just wants to plug a PC into a socket upstairs...

The wireless method: you sit near your router with your wireless laptop, the signal is good, you go in the next room, the signal is weaker, you go upstairs the signal is almost non existent...

Plug a receiver into the electric socket near the router, it picks up a strong signal...plug in a transmitter into the socket in your bedroom, it sends a wireless signal that is almost as strong as if it was coming from the router itself...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Exactemondo!

------------

------------

Exactemondo!
Rather than using ethernet sockets, why not try the wireless sockets, with a wireless dongle for the PC? That way you cover all bases...your desktop is wirelessly connected, and any wireless enabled lappies also get access to the network signal too...

It is no help that I have no examples, but it is something to consider...the wireless/ethernet signals are both going to be strengthened, so why eliminate wireless connectivity at this point?

...oh, and you get absolutely zero spaghetti...

right .. cheers for the explanation spicey ..

what I need is what Dave needs so seen as he is a tech I'l wait for his verdict :D

doubts.

Wireless just doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

I have a usb dongle, pcmcia cards etc... My router is an 'N' generation, so should provide 270mbps for 100mtrs (trust me, it doesn't!), but I was looking at repeaters - but it seems like an expense that I don't need.

When the kids are watching a film in the living room, and I'm downloading something as well as playing music and the misses is watching something in the bedroom, the network starts to stutter as it is, and that's over 100mbps wired. Wireless just isn't good enough to compete just yet, plus I have had trouble getting it to work under Linux (I had trouble under Windows too) and what with upgrading very soon to gigabit, I'd like to find a way to take full advantage of the switch - presently only possible with cat-5 (or 6), so was just looking at those plugs as an option really - if they really can provide 200mbps, then I'll gladly take the hit and use those instead.

------------

------------

Wireless - Dongle - Linux...don't even go there with all those words in one sentence...

I am currently reformatting the PB desktop again...the combination of the above three has managed to completey bugger the system, so now I have to "tattoo" the boot sector once more, format the partitions again, and go through the six monthly process of getting my machine how I want it once more...

I didn't have much trouble getting the wireless to actually work, just connect at any reasonable speed.

Sometimes the router wouldn't even be seen, and othertimes the signal was so weak (or so it reported) that it was just easier to plug an ethernet cable in.

It was better in Windows, but not a lot. If I was right next to the router, it would fly along, but then the garage gets a little cold in the winter ;-)

------------

------------

So, whatever happened to the wire/foil/pringles tube contraptions you used to rig up in the early days of CAG...you know the ones I mean...2,000 users, all wanting to log on, all overloading the systems...

That was a matter of emergency! ;-) I had no phone line, no TV, no mobile signal etc...

Wasn't very fast though - I have thought of doing the same where I am, but I only have until next Tuesday and finally BT are coming out to give me a phone line.

------------

------------

Thanks for those - I already checked on Misco for them, a pair is about 30 quid dearer than PC World. I know it's hard to believe, I could hardly believe it myself, but I suppose PC World MUST be cheaper for some things!!

Overclockers are a tenner cheaper, but then I can just pop round the corner and pick them up in time for the weekend, so it might just be worth doing.

The other thing is, I have no bank account, so paying for things on-line is a bit tricky. We deal with Misco here at work, so we have an account. I can buy things and have the money taken straight from my wages. I can't do the same with overclockers sadly :-(

------------

------------