Second Hand Mondeo Nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new to this and would be grateful for any help/advice anyone can give me.

We bought a second hand mondeo from a garage in Edinburgh in middle of March. It is a 2002 reg with 78k miles and we paid £3k for it.

Two weeks ago the car started cutting out at various times, various speeds and so on. We've had the AA out three times and they're diagnosis was a faulty crankshaft sensor although various other codes were coming up aswell. We took it to our local Ford garage for repair. They were havin difficulty finding the exact fault and after a week they changed a clogged fuel filter and said the car was now fixed. The next day, driving home from work, the car cut out again on my husband. Called out the AA who advised to take it back to Ford once again. Ford phoned my husband at work this morning and they've found the real fault. The car has the wrong type of injectors fitted!! They suggested that this would be done by someone in an attempt to cover up the fact that the car needed new injectors at a cost of approx. £1200 + labour which can only be done by Ford as they are the only ones who can code the new injectors to the cars computer. They're recommendation was to take it back to the garage where we bought it to get our money back. The manager at Ford wasn't even sure that if the proper injectors were fitted now by them that the car would work due to the damage that has been done. So we could be talking about a write off!!(?)

We contacted the garage tonight (mobile no's only hmmm..), spoke to one of the partners who has flatly refused any help and told us we are not getting our money back!:mad: I told him I had been in contact with consumer direct and know my rights (which I had done this afternoon). He's still refusing. :mad: :mad: I've to phone back Conumer Rights tomorrow to let them know what happened.

Does anyone have any experience of the same thing with a garage and were they successful in getting a refund or a satisfactory replacement car? I would be most grateful for any help as I'm completely stressed out - we took out a £3k loan over 5 years to pay for this and now have no car to show for it and can't afford to buy another.:(

I would go to ford's and try and get something in writing from them to use in your complaint to the dealer who sold you the car.

Then go to your local trading standards office and explain your complaint and you have been told by ford's the problem etc.

Did you get a warranty with the car?

they may act on your behalf ..... or call them politely to come to a reasonable outcome.

If you still don't get the issue resolved then seek legal help.

I am not a legal expert but they helped me once against a car auction company....had full refund.

hope this get's sorted for you both, and also I would state any rental charges for a hire car etc, you will seek to claim from them also, as you can not do without the car that's why you purchased it.

Thanks for your advice. Good to know someone has had a similar experience and got back what you should have - all your money.

We didn't purchase a waranty with the car but we have obtained a copy of the Sale of Goods Act which states that we are covered by the act as a consumer and a warranty is only viewed as an addition to these rights.

I spoke to Consumer Direct this morning and they've advised me to write to the garage asking that they either have the necessary repairs done to the car or give us a refund. Ford have supplied us with a report stating the problems with the car and the manager there has offered to speak to the seller on our behalf if needs be. Ford don't often get a good write up on these types of forums but they've been a fantastic help to us.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a positive outcome. We'll see.

By the way, thought I'd add that if anyone is sold a car by a trader and they write 'sold as seen' on the sale invoice - this is a breach of criminal legislation ie. illegal and should be reported to Consumer Direct.