• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help Please re: CCA decision

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I presume that’s another version of the template that you have so kindly posted? The reply from Amex regarding the above letter arrived this morning – stating that they are dealing with my “complaint”.

Yes, except the one that I posted points out the technical and legal flaws in their response.

Surely, if they do hold a signed by me document, they would have sent it wouldn’t they?

Not necessarily. Depends on how they store their documents, really - if they can find the original agreement and it is enforceable, they can then enforce the debt as though they had never even been in default of the request.

The more time that lapses, the less and less likely that seems though, I agree.

Don’t worry, neither Amex nor Credit Solutions Limited have access to my telephone number. When I moved some 18 months ago I did not have a telephone number at the time to give them, only my address. I never (thank goodness) got around to furnishing them with my new number. I find it stressful enough getting the creditor nasties (letters) without telephone harassment.

They can still harass you by post or coming to your door, though. Let us know if that happens.

Two days after Amex sent me the “it is correct and that’s all you’re getting” letter, CSL wrote again. I have totally ignored them, haven’t had anything since.

Is that their "final response"? If it is, you definately have a case to go to Court to have the debt declared unenforceable. If they suddenly come up with an agreement, the Court will frown on this reply as they are suggesting you aren't going to get any more from them.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

paulwlton: Thanks for your reply, as I said, I’ve only been paying a token £1, but will cease from now on until they get their act together. I agree, I would have thought that they would have sent me a signed copy if they had one too.

Car2403: Thanks again for your reply.

Should I send the template letter you have posted then or wait to see what they come up with next?

When I wrote the part about “it is correct and that’s all you’re getting” letter from Amex, I was sort of reading between the lines (if you see what I mean!!), the actual wording was:

We take pride in treating our customers with the utmost respect and I am sorry for the difficulties you have encountered recently. Please be assured that we strive for superior service, and I regret that we have disappointed you in this respect.

I can confirm that the information you were given was correct and regrettably, I can only reiterate the details again.

The statements that you have received are the validation of your debt, and the credit agreement we sent you in May agrees to the terms and conditions of the account, and is the contract between us.

We have fulfilled the conditions of the consumer credit act and therefore, I hope you will understand and accept our position in this matter, and begin to pay your outstanding balance.

I hope I have clarified this matter; however should you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to call us on the telephone number below.

After that was received from Amex, I sent the letter that I posted earlier and received the following reply from Amex today:

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 16 June 2008, received in this office today.

As you have indicated that you are dissatisfied with our initial response, your complaint has now been escalated and will be investigated further.

Please be assured that you will receive a response as soon as possible.

I have sent the “doorstep” letter to a few of both creditors and DCA’s alike. Most have heeded the “do not visit me” letters except Power2Contact (Citi Cards). They came to the house the first time and put a postcard half in, half out the letterbox (it wasn’t posted, this was around 5-5.30pm), less than a week later they came back and actually knocked. I told the agent to go away and that I had stipulated to his company that I will not accept doorstep visits, all communication is to be in writing only and if he didn’t leave I would call the police. Off he trundled, nothing since.

But as I said earlier on in this thread, I have two (as yet unresolved) complaints and a CCA request lodged with Citi cards. I was going to make a formal complaint to the OFT regarding Power2Contact’s visits, but have been feeling really low and haven’t done so, I suppose it’s too late now. This was around a month ago now I think.

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to help me :)

Forgot to say, one of my complaints to Citi Cards was in relation to doorstep visits (before Power2Contact's visits). I explained to them that I have been medically diagnosed with PTSD (part of the reason I recieve a War pension) and that these doorstep visit threats were giving me added stress. They probably had a good laugh about that!

Edited by Misterzeus
spelling!

Forgot to say, one of my complaints to Citi Cards was in relation to doorstep visits (before Power2Contact's visits). I explained to them that I have been medically diagnosed with PTSD (part of the reason I recieve a War pension) and that these doorstep visit threats were giving me added stress. They probably had a good laugh about that!

Chalkitup posted the following extract from the OFT Guidelines for someone else who has a health problem. It might be good for you to have this in your armoury so to speak.

"The OFT Debt Collection Guidance July 2003 (updated Dec 2006) actually states for a start....

2.12(B) Unfair practice would include ... visiting a debtor when it is known they are vulnerable, for example, when a doctor's certificate has been provided stating debtor is ill."

Perhaps you could get your GP to provide a certificate for you. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Should I send the template letter you have posted then or wait to see what they come up with next?

When I wrote the part about “it is correct and that’s all you’re getting” letter from Amex, I was sort of reading between the lines (if you see what I mean!!), the actual wording was:

I think the letter I've posted up a few posts ago is an apt response to their reply, yes.

You can always follow it up with the other one once you get the, sadly inevitable, response totally ignoring everything you've said. :evil:

Thanks for your replies.

citizenB: Yes, I had read that in the OFT guidance and it could be an avenue worth pursuing. I will see how things progress and act accordingly should I deem it necessary. The Power2Contact agent got no further than stating who he was and scuttled off after I told him to go. He made no further attempt to say anything, then again that just be because I shut the door – lol!!

car2403: So I’ll wait and see what response I receive from Amex and if it is not favourable and they are sticking to their guns that the original CCA is sufficient (in their opinion anyway). I will then send the template letter you have given. At the very least it will tie them up in knots!

Thank you once again to all of you for all your help :)

Hi all,

I have just checked my Amex file and as they have failed to produce a “valid” CCA, and their deadline (12+2 working days) expired on the 2nd June, am I correct in thinking that another 30 calendar days expires on the 2nd July?

I have been looking for a template letter to send them once their additional 30 days have expired but can’t find it! It’s probably just me not looking properly, but can anyone point me in the direction please?

I will keep it safe as Citi will be the next to get the letter, they have ignored my CCA request so far, their 12+2+30 days are up a couple of weeks later.

Any help appreciated as always, thank you :)

To be honest, if they havent replied within the next 30 days, which is as you say up on the 2nd July, then I guess they arent going to. I personally wouldnt send any other reminder to them.

Your next step I guess would be the FOS and or Trading Standards. The letter you posted above sounds pretty much to me like it is their final response.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for your reply citizenB.

I think you are right, Amex are not going to “produce” any other CCA other than what they have already sent. So, Once the 2nd July has passed then I should write to the FOS and/or Trading Standards to complain or would it be best to “let sleeping dogs lie” until they either provide a properly executed CCA or attempt to set Credit Solutions Limited on to me again?

After my original CCA request (sent to CSL and they passed onto Amex) was met with their first answer, CSL sent a letter, well a notice really, telling me that their client Amex had added further interest and late payment charges. Also, there was the usual mantra about calling their office regarding settlement.

Thanks for your reply babybear39.

Very interesting link concerning the new directive and will no doubt be of great help to me and countless others.

The date is for offences committed after the 26th May 2008, so I am presuming that although my original CCA request sent to CCSL dated the 15th May 2008, the directive would still be applicable?

Thank you again both of you for your replies. I promise as soon as I am financially able, I will make a contribution to this forum as I know that without the great help that has been given to me, I would have most definitely been “walked over” by my creditors and the even scummier DCA’s! :)

My own understanding of the new directive is that any offence committed after it came into force, in your case if they don't supply your CCA after the further calendar month, is covered and can be reported to Trading Standards who really should start using this new legislation to prosecute!

I've been skirmishing with Amex over 4 accounts for some time. In each case they produced, in response to CCA requests, wholly unenforceable application forms, but for months continued to maintain the pretence that they were enforceable - their failure to fulfil their threats of court action gave the lie to their position, however.

In relation to Amex 'file referral' fees, I challenged these because they are clearly collection fees, and because they do not conform to the requirements of the OFT Guidance, they cannot be enforced.

In my case, Amex appear to have given up - after using RMA/NCO (fell at first hurdle), Newmans (sent file back to Amex as soon as dispute mentioned), AIC (now tried three times, and failed each time. Compliant to FOS now in process), and Moorcroft (also gave up when dispute mentioned). Amex's behaviour changed when I told them that I was making a complaint to FOS about their flagrant disregard for the law and OFT regulations - they went from demands and threats of legal action to 'please settle' requests.

Had the new CPUTR been around earlier, I'd have nailed them earlier. They are persistent, but can be beaten.

• Haha 1

Thanks for your reply ScarletPimpernel,

Your reply gives me great encouragement and the confidence to keep fighting, Amex has been a royal pain in the backside from the start.

Amex insist that file referral fees are totally legit and within their “terms and Conditions”, did say they would waiver them on that occasion, but they never did as they and further charges are showing!

You are not kidding when you say they are persistent, but hey, as they are finding out – so am I!!! Perhaps I am to expect another DCA to be assigned as RMA/NCO did not suceed and CSL are not getting anywhere with me.

It does get you down sometimes doesn’t it? But if we fight them, it may make it that bit easier in the future for others (who get into debt through circumstances beyond their control) to be able to deal with it. :)

Thank you

In one stunning display of incompetency, Amex wrote that their fees were 'as shown in the enclosed terms and conditions'; not only did the T&C they enclosed not bear any apparent relation to any of my accounts, it didn't mention referral fees!

I suspect that these fees are collected from anyone foolish enough to pay them; otherwise they seem to use them as a basis for negotiation. It's rather like Gordon Broon threatening to invade Zimbabwe, then telling Mugabe that if he behaves Broon won't send the troops he hasn't got.

Amex certainly are a joke, when I’d seen off RMA/NCO, Amex prattled on about (although I had stated time and time again that I would only communicate in writing), that they believed RMA R€solve could have been a great help to me – but those cretins just wanted me to phone them!

I wrote back to Amex and told them to visit the CAG and its sub forum – The Debt Collection Industry and read the many harrowing tales of how people have been treated over the telephone. I said to them that perhaps then they would understand my reluctance to speak with them.

I like your Gordon Broon theory – very pertinent! :)

Mr Zeus, re their insistence on you phoning them, there is a nice letter drafted by Davefirewalker in post 128 inthe link below (I think the link will take you straight to it) It might be worth sending:lol:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/148387-help48xxx-mbna-7.html#post1587823

BCOBS

Personally I wouldn't bother sending a letter about not phoning them. Their letters are simply templates, and are almost certainly sent automatically.

Even after I'd established a correspondence with an individual at Amex, I received, in addition to (rather poorly written) 'personal' letters, they continued to send the 'please phone us' nonsense templates as well.

Thanks for posting that link citizenB, really appreciate your time, but all of my creditors/DCA’s have received the harassment / only communicate in writing letters and where applicable the doorstop letters. I just ignore their standard threats of what will happen to me if I don’t phone them. I use to worry constantly when those letters and lots of them arrived almost daily, now, while of course it still concerns me, I have become more hardened and don’t fret quite as much!

Mind you, last week I was only thinking that I don’t seem to be getting many threatograms – perhaps lots of staff are on their holidays?? The next day I received the CCJ from Northampton CC re Co-Op which I posted a thread on the legal issue forum for help.

ScarletPimpernel, yes I seem to get the same responses from Amex, their “personal” letters can be very condescending at times though! I agree, very poorly written indeed! Still, I like to think I give as good as I get thanks to the CAG and its very helpful members!!

Thank you both, posting on here helps to keep me sane :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I am Mrs Zeus and I am posting on behalf of Misterzeus as he is now working, I hope you don’t mind. I am obviously aware of all that’s happening re the threads my DH has submitted.

I have a couple of queries:

Amex is now out of time for CCA request (12+2+30 days); the 2nd of July was the precise date. This morning, a letter from Credit Solutions Ltd arrived; it is an “Interest /Late payment charges (courtesy of Amex) notice!

As I am dealing with the admin now, should I send a letter to CSL to tell them to wind their necks in as it is in dispute with the OC? From what I’ve read, I thought when a debt is in dispute, no further interest and charges can be added or am I mistaken? Also, aren’t they in breach of OFT guidelines?

A CCA request was sent to Citi cards and their 12+2+30 days are up in less than two weeks. DH has posted a couple of complaints prior to requesting a CCA. This morning they have written (and very poorly drafted I must say) saying they are sorry he is unhappy with the collection company they use. The thing is the collection company they mention is not the actual company they used!

They make no mention of the CCA at all and have “as a goodwill gesture” credited his account with £20. They go on to say they have noted that token payments are being made by DH each month and to phone a 0870 number to have his financial situation reviewed and request to be placed on a payment plan! Needless to say they will not be getting any phone calls!! Everything will be in writing.

Personally, I think they are worried as

1: DH made two complaints to Citi Cards, in one of the letters he told them he has been diagnosed with PTSD and the DCA (Power2Contact) visited the house twice after the complaint was made, once just posting a card halfway through, the second time the agent knocked)

2: A CCA has been sent

Any help and advice would be welcomed on what I should do next, I thank you in advance :)

MrsZ

Send this to CSL:

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Your Reference:

Client reference:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I must admit that I am rather bemused as to why this account has been passed to you, as it is in dispute with ***DCA*** and has been since ***Date***

Not only is this a breach of OFT collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Data Protection Act 1998

As ***DCA*** is now in default of my Consumer Credit Act request, Office of Fair Trading Collection Guidelines and s10 Data Protection Act request, I consider this account to be in SERIOUS DISPUTE.

As you are aware while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default, enforcement action is NOT permitted; under s127 this constitutes a complete defence at law. Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Now I would respectfully suggest that this account is returned to ***DCA*** for resolution of these defaults and breaches, as ***DCA*** cannot lawfully pursue any enforcement activities.

If ***DCA***chooses to ignore my dispute and attempt enforcement, I will initiate legal action and file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action.

I hope that this will not be necessary and an acceptable solution can be accomplished.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

Yours faithfully,

Amend to suit, do not sign, print your name, send recorded and keep a copy with your postal reciept.

Request the OC's complaints procedure, give them the required 8 weeks to respond to your satisfaction and if they don't, report them to FOS.

Send this to citi and a copy to P2C:

Dear xxxx

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully/sincerely

Also via recorded post etc...

As Amex have now breached the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive and the CPUTR 2008, you should report them to Trading Standards and the OFT straight away.

Edited by babybear39
forgot a bit

I'm going to respectfully disagree with sending the 'account in dispute' letter; in my view the CCA default is more serious than a dispute because demanding payment is unlawful.

I refer to your letter dated xxxx, the content of which is noted. I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company you claim to represent. All communication must be in writing.

On (date) I made a formal request pursuant to s.78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Your client failed to comply fully and properly, and so remains in default. Therefore, the provisions of s.78 (6) apply, and your demand for payment is unlawful.

[The only document that your client supplied, which they averred was the credit agreement, did not comply with s.61 of the Act, which renders the agreement unenforceable by virtue of s.127(3).]

Clearly, the alleged debt is disputed. Your client has been provided with full details, but has failed to make any substantive effort to resolve the dispute. It should not be necessary to remind you that the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection is clear that failing to suspend collection activity whilst a dispute is unresolved is an unfair practice. Your activity also appears to be contrary to ss.3(b) & 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

Take notice that if you intend to send a representative to my home, I will not offer an appointment; any visit would therefore be contrary to the OFT Guidance and also CPUTR).

Yours etc.

Use the bit in blue if they've sent, as in my case, just application forms.

I've also been giving some thought recently to complaints. I now tend not to complain & ask for their compliant procedure on their first letter, since they can simply say that they weren't aware of the circumstances. If, having been informed, they continue, I think a complaint then carries more weight.

Thanks for that SC. The new legislation does mean that the templates and other letters need updating. May I 'borrow' your letter for future use?

Edited by babybear39
forgot something as usual

Thank you very much for your replies Babybear and ScarletPimpernel, that’s very kind of you.

So, I’ll send the letter SP kindly posted to CSL and should I also copy to Amex too?

Power2Contact have neither written nor attempted to visit since the CCA was sent to Citi Cards. The last communication from P2C was the visit at the end of May. Although, I have to admit that I am wondering that as now Citi has graced DH with a letter (our 8 year old grandson could have done a better job!!) whether Power2Contact will be set on to us again! They have had the letters telling them not to visit (Citi Cards twice), they can’t phone as they don’t have any telephone numbers for us.

After re-reading the letter from Citi Cards and checking the files, I see they have only addressed the first complaint letter – hence the different collection company they mentioned. They did send a letter stating that as there was no contact from DH to Citi (blatantly untrue) they would consider sending around one of their agents, DH wrote back with the template letter from this forum and heard no more from them! Then P2C came along, hence the need for the 2nd complaint to Citi.

I shall write a strongly worded letter to Citi Cards informing them that they have failed to answer the 2nd complaint and should I also remind them that they have not responded to DH’s CCA request or let them dig an even bigger hole for themselves by going the further 30 days?

Thanks once again for all your help, without it I’d be lost!!