• Tweets

• We purchased our Mercedes in September 2023 from Doves in Horsham for £21000, paying half cash and half on finance. We also purchased warranty for life via Ramp as recommended by Doves. On 12th May 2024 the car failed to recognise the key and wouldn’t not open, the AA could not identify the problem so via our warranty the car was taken to Mercedes in Croydon. After 3 weeks the problem was finally identified as water ingress in the drivers side footwell which has corroded and blown various components. After further investigation it was discovered the windscreen was date stamped 2019 (all the windows are 2018 - therefore not the factory fitted windscreen) The leak has developed due to incorrect sealant being used assuming when this was replaced and also water leaking from the seam. The warranty company do not cover water ingress so we are now faced with a bill of £3635. As we are now at 8 months since purchase (problem started at just over 7 months) we are not covered by the consumer rights acts. Would we be covered Sale of Goods Act? We have all the reports for the works being completed but unsure if this should be taken to the finance company or Doves who we purchased the car from. Do we pay for the works and then try and claim it back or should they be paying? Any help would be much appreciated
    • im also wondering if back billing applies here too . from looking at like threads around this SSE to ovo compulsory switch, it must be evidenced by the claimant that bills were regularly issued for the period of the supply the debt they claim covers. there are no threads here that show they could ever produce them, so back billing rules (12mts) might also play a part.
    • Vodafone have reported that they are having issues with their Credit File APIs into the Credit Reference Agencies where aged accounts over 6 years are being readded to Credit Files. In some instances, people are having defaults rescinded and changed to late payment status making the account live again!    --- Have you been affected? Please keep an eye out on your credit file for any  new Vodafone Account appearing where there shouldnt be any reason. If you are a Vodafone Customer - Check that the information is correct. check for Late Payments and Defaults.    Don't forget to consider the financial impacts this could have on you.  ---   If you are struggling - Post below and we can guide you to get the result you need!    Its been reported that Experian and TransUnion seem to be where these appear.  They are able to remove the information relatively quickly and it will reflect on next Credit File Refresh.         
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BerryN -v- NEXT

BerryN
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

A few years ago, I defaulted with NEXT and they put it on my credit file. ANyway, to cut a long story short, I ignored them for ages and they went away. I then decided that I would deal with my debts (many on here! thanks guys) and wrote to NEXT with a copy of my credit file showing their default asking them what it was and how to sort it out. They sent me a letter back stating they knew nothing about it so I thought happy days and left it.

Today, a few years later, I have received a letter from Robinson Way & Co stating the following:

Amount Due: £146.80

YOUR ACCOUNT WITH NEXT DIRECTORY

Please note we have purchased and are now wholly responsible for administering your account noted above. All future payments and correspondance must be sent to us, Robinson Way & Compnay Ltd at Scottish House, Carolina Way, Quays Reach, Salford, M50 2ZY

To prevent further action being taken to receover the full sum due it is essential that you agree a repayment plan to pay your account, immediately.

Please note for Data Protection purposes we are now the data controller for your controller.

Yours faithfully

Collections Manager

OK - first things first - why are they chasing this years after they left it alone. Also, I have a new NEXT account with £1500 limit that I don't use so surely they could have used their brains and added it onto that - not a great deal i could have done to dispute that!

Do I CCA them as they are a catalogue or what do I do now??

Hello!

A few years ago, I defaulted with NEXT and they put it on my credit file. ANyway, to cut a long story short, I ignored them for ages and they went away. I then decided that I would deal with my debts (many on here! thanks guys) and wrote to NEXT with a copy of my credit file showing their default asking them what it was and how to sort it out. They sent me a letter back stating they knew nothing about it so I thought happy days and left it.

Today, a few years later, I have received a letter from Robinson Way & Co stating the following:

YOUR ACCOUNT WITH NEXT DIRECTORY

Please note we have purchased and are now wholly responsible for administering your account noted above. All future payments and correspondance must be sent to us, Robinson Way & Compnay Ltd at Scottish House, Carolina Way, Quays Reach, Salford, M50 2ZY

To prevent further action being taken to receover the full sum due it is essential that you agree a repayment plan to pay your account, immediately.

Please note for Data Protection purposes we are now the data controller for your controller.

Yours faithfully

Collections Manager

OK - first things first - why are they chasing this years after they left it alone. Also, I have a new NEXT account with £1500 limit that I don't use so surely they could have used their brains and added it onto that - not a great deal i could have done to dispute that!

Do I CCA them as they are a catalogue or what do I do now??

First thing i would do is write to them asking what the hell this line means .

Then have a read of all the wonderful threads on here about robinscum way , and most importantly RELAX , these people are vermin who pray on the weak and defenceless (like they thought we all were at one time )

With the help of the good people of CAG , you will find the confidence to fight your corner and win.

CAG v dca

CAG EVERYTIME .....

KEEP RIGHT ON TILL THE END OF THE ROAD ........

Unlikely Next will have a CCA, try having a search on here, there are a few threads about Next.

Now, also have a look at Diskmandave's threads re Robinson Way, absolute menace's to society but generally buy unenforcable debts anyway.

CCA Robinson Way, make sure you clearly spell out to them about not using your £1 fee against the balance, as they generally turn around and say that your payment is insufficient!

Also, use a postal order so they cannot get your bank details from your cheque and please don't sign your letter as they will superimpose signatures onto agreements.

Keep us posted, likely to be a battle but one you probably will win.

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey!!! Just received another letter in the post from R, W & C:

NOTICE OF LEGAL PROCEEDINGS

This is not a court document

To: BerryN

From Robinson, Way & Co

agents for

NEXT DIRECTORY PLC

Reference: .....

This is a notice of intended court action, valid even if not read by you.

Take notice that documents are being prepared for proceedings for recovery of debt details of which are given below

Account ........

What are you required to do

Pay the full amount due by 10.0am on 05/03/08

Payment must be sent quoting this reference ......

This is a notice of intended court action, valid even if not read by you.
:lol::lol:

Oh Dear

they really dont get it do they,if you dont read a LBA how can it be valid.

these letters really make me want to repeatedly bang my head on the desk in frustration

wait and see if they comply with the CCA request first, then we can look at what step to take next

Send them a reply that says this is for you but it doesnt matter if you read it or not as its still valid .Doesnt make any sense but then theres doesnt either ,more threatomatics , what a waste of paper .

regards

LB

CAG v dca

CAG EVERYTIME .....

KEEP RIGHT ON TILL THE END OF THE ROAD ........

haha! think I will save the money for the recorded delivery of waste letter but good thoughts none the less! have filed INTENDED COURT ACTION letter. thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Letter received dated 6 March 2008:

Dear BerryN

We refer to your recent correspondance requsting a signed agreement relating to the above account.

As with most home shopping accounts, you will not have signed a credit agreement. You are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions of the credit, which were relayed in the catalogue itself, when you placed your first order.

By requesting goods in exchange for money, you are liable for payment of those goods. If you are denying responsibility for the credit, we would ask what steps you have taken to return the goods if you did not intend paying for them?

As a simple assignee from the original creditor we have acquired the rights but not eh duties of the creditor as defined 189 (1) of the CCA 1974 and accordingly are entitled to pursue the customer for the monies that remain due by reason of section 136 of The Law of Property Act 1925.

As for this account it was opened on 23rd September 2003 with the last payment of £25.00 being made on 15th July 2005.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Cooper

Bought Debt Correspondance Manager

encl. £1.00 cheque

now what do i do?

Most of their letter is bullsh!t, designed to distract from the essential fact, which is that they have no agreement and so the debt is unenforceable. I'd be inclined to send Robinson Way a nice 'feck off' letter:

Dear Curs

Re: NEXT a/c no. xxxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxx in which you confirm that no executed credit agreement exists in relation to the above account.

You will be aware that the alleged debt is, without a properly executed agreement, unenforceable under s.127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

In the circumstances, I do not expect to hear from you again; any further contact will be viewed as harassment and reported accordingly.

Yours etc.

If you wanted to, you could insert (or keep for the formal complaint you will make when the next demand from RW arrives):

You state that you are not the creditor as defined by s.189 (1) of the CCA 1974. This would mean that the assignment is equitable. However, you then go on to mention the Law of Property Act 1925; since this deals only with absolute assignments (i.e. of both rights and duties), I can only assume you are attempting to mislead me. It should not be necessary to remind you that communicating in a deceitful and/or misleading way is contrary to the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Letter from R, W & Co: dated 11/4/8

We refer to your recent communicaion requesting a signed agreement relating to te above account.

As with most Home Shopping accounts, you will not have signed a credit agreement. You are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions f the credit, which were relayed in the catalogue itself, when you placed your first order.

By ordering goods from the catalogue, you are liable for payment of those goods. If you are denying responsibility for the debt, we would ask what steps you have taken to return the goods you did not intend paying for?

The debt remains outstanding and we require an offer of payment by return.

One final letter, I think.

Dear Sirs

Re: Next

I refer to your letter dated 11 April 2008.

You have admitted that no credit agreement exists in relation to the alleged debt. This means, as I am sure you know, that it is entirely unenforceable.

In addition, as you remain in default of the formal request I made pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, your demand for payment is unlawful.

Take notice that I am not prepared to enter into further correspondence in this matter.

Yours etc.

you have to weigh up which you would prefer? Months of correspondence and worry or for a piffling £148 paying them and damning their impudence..

I know which one I would choose

:)

Although I would send it direct to Next and cut out the monkeys at the DCA.