• Tweets

• Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I need help with argos please, ive been argoosed !

2ltr16valve
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just re-read your letter and I hope you don't think I'm too picky.:)

I have highlighted some bits in blue that I think shouldn't be there and the bits in red is just alternatives or punctuation

Dear Customer Relations, Dear Sir/Madam

Order Number: 77******

I am contacting you today further to my telephone conversations with your department on 05/02/2010 and 08/02/2010.

I ordered a Servis washing machine from your company sometime in January 2008,(Full stop here) As you will see from the notes relating to the above order number I have had numerous failures and damaged appliances delivered to me.

The latest replacement for the item I ordered from your company that was sent to me has again failed. On speaking to a manager by the name of C***** I was informed that I needed to provide an engineer’s report to detail a manufacturing fault/inherent fault with the appliance in order to be entitled to a refund.

I have now had an engineer inspect the machine and he confirms that the part that has failed is due to a manufacturing/inherent fault with this appliance and informed me that this brand suffers with this fault very often. Please find a copy of the report enclosed with this letter.

I request a refund offer for this appliance and compensation seeing the repeated replacements all either failed or were damaged. I also seek reimbursement of my costs of laundry and engineer’s report which are detailed below.

Proposed Refund amounts.

Washing machine purchase price £179.99

Laundrette costs washing/drying £ 36.00

Engineers report £ 20.00

While my current machine does not dry clothes, it is impractical to try and carry home 5 large sacks of wet washing from the launderette along with three young children, so is quite necessary.

I would like to refer you to the following section quoted from the “SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979 as amended.

14. Implied terms about quality or fitness

(1) Except as provided by this section and section 15 below and subject to any other enactment, there is no implied term about the quality or fitness for any particular purpose of goods supplied under a contract of sale.

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.”

As it goes, (IMHO) it's not a bad letter. Short is always better (one of my many failings) You got to the point.

It's just a case now of send it and see what they offer.

Edited it :) Cheers for the pointers :D

Going to get it sent tomorrow, recorded post :) Will see what they offer an if they start to be a pain in the back end I shall send letter to the person put above :)

cheers all

• 1 month later...

Argos agreed to refund the full price of the machine, £179.99, laundry costs and £50 compensation (good will) Cheek !

Anyway, you would think that would be that ! NO such luck !

originally agreed this on 8/2/10 .... was told cheques were raised.... I informed them that they needed to be made payable to my brother... as my bank account is in dispute and the money would not actually reach me, my brother is also the person who paid for the machine originally...

They took his details, and said not a problem.

10 days later i receive a cheque, in MY name ! so, phone argos and they deny that they said they would send them in my brothers name.... after going through to the manager i had spoken to before... she then agrees that they did agree to this prior.... and re-issues the cheques...

Cheques arrives, in MY name again ! FFS... by this time i am losing my patience.... Call again and am told it was an admin error in finance.... they will issue the cheques again in the right name... this was beginning of March...

NOTHING yet !

Called them today and they are doing a "Chase up" on the cheques and will get back to me.

would it be worth filing a money claim ? I have waited over 5 weeks now for this refund...... You would think a company as large as argos could at least get this right after all the other issues :(

Are you close to an Argos store? If they still haven't send out the damn cheque you might be able to get the £179.99 refunded as cash if you demand it on the phone (If they do agree you MUST take in ID).

With regards to raising an MCOL they have provided you with the money, and could easily say that admin stopped it for fraud prevention reasons. So I don't believe a claim would help, instead try the above..

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Are you close to an Argos store? If they still haven't send out the damn cheque you might be able to get the £179.99 refunded as cash if you demand it on the phone (If they do agree you MUST take in ID).

With regards to raising an MCOL they have provided you with the money, and could easily say that admin stopped it for fraud prevention reasons. So I don't believe a claim would help, instead try the above..

Never thought of a store refund, there are a number of stores around me :)

with regards to MCOL, could that be the case even though I the manager had told me that the cheques had been issued.... on about two occasions since and said that they have had to stop one set of cheques as they did not come, what if they were just not sent ? lol

Well IMHO if you did MCOL and did win, they could still just send cheques out in your name :/

Argos direct can authorise a store to provide a cash refund, ID is essential, the compensation would most likely still come as a cheque but you can ask.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

anyone got a email for ceo or telephone number ?

Just called to chase this up, to be told exactly the same as i have been told for the past 4 weeks !!!!! "were looking into it" .... then when i say i deem this as theft, they say "not at all mr xxxxx" and hang up !!!

Also asked for cash store refund, to be told thats not going to happen as I did not pay by cash..... ! i really do not see how that is relevant here, as was paid by card and they are meant to be sending cheques.... !

Sick of this now....

no email or telephone number unfortunately (Its even missing from the employee phonebook). Letters addressed to the below should get a response though

Sara Weller, (Managing Director)

Argos Ltd.

489-499 Avebury Boulevard,

Milton Keynes,

MK9 2NW.

Greg Ball (Managing Director)

Customer and Financial Services

489-499 Avebury Boulevard

Saxon Gate West

Central Milton Keynes

MK9 2NW

no email or telephone number unfortunately (Its even missing from the employee phonebook). Letters addressed to the below should get a response though

Sara Weller, (Managing Director)

Argos Ltd.

Milton Keynes,

MK9 2NW.

Greg Ball (Managing Director)

Customer and Financial Services

489-499 Avebury Boulevard

Saxon Gate West

Central Milton Keynes

MK9 2NW

Cheers for that :)

Its now been escallated again, to a senior manager who cant understand why there has been such a delay.... if even a senior manager cant understand it, no wonder the lower mangers dont know what to do lol

She has asked that I give her until tomorrow to get back to me as she has too look into this, and chase up finance etc.

I shall wait until tomorrow, then type off a letter and send to each of those above :p

I told this senior manager that I will now never deal with argos again, and hinted that I feel the £50 "goodwill gesture" is now laughable considering the extra month of hassle I have had.... to be told, that any extra would only be issued in vouchers...! what fooking use are they to be, I never want anything to do with these fookers again.

I do apologise if you feel that way, there are a few of us out there who do know what we are doing, and are willing to help.

Its been a week since your post, just checking up to see if you managed to get things sorted in the end?

I do apologise if you feel that way, there are a few of us out there who do know what we are doing, and are willing to help.

Its been a week since your post, just checking up to see if you managed to get things sorted in the end?

Ello bud

Got a refund in store in the end, then got home and phone rings "argos customer safety dept, can I speak to mr **** please"

I answer, yes speaker...

"we can see on our system you have received a refund for your washing machine that you purchased recently, but you still have the machine"

I answer, yes I do still have the machine because this is not the machine the refund is for !

God do these people get anything right ! lol turns out, they had refunded on the account of the newest machine ! so no doubt, "when" this one breaks Im going to be told I have had a refund !

Cheers for all the help guys :)

• 3 weeks later...
HI all, im new to the site. Like to say hello first and thank everyone in advance for a great site:)

right, long read warning lol

the story is..!

got a washing machine back in November 2007, machine was damaged by there driver... so got a replacement, this one turned up damaged.. 3rd machine, turned up damaged.. got a 4th one, was damaged.. got a small amount of money back (£25 i think) to keep this one.. 01/01/08 this machine breaks... had to wait 2-3 weeks for a new machine !

heres the letter i sent them:

23 January 2008

Reference: Order Number 77******

Customer Service Manage

Milton Keynes,

MK9 2NW.

Dear Customer Service Manager,

SUBJECT: COMPLAINT

I have to write this letter with great regret, I feel I have no other choice now. I purchased a washing machine from your company in November 2007, the washing machine turned up on the correct day but much earlier than our allotted delivery time slot of 12-3 I believe. The delivery driver left the machine with my disabled next-door neighbor completely blocking her hallway.

When I returned from shopping at about 1030 on the day of delivery I had a card in the letterbox saying the machine was next door. I knocked to find the machine blocking her hall way as above, I then had to call your customer service number at excessive cost to me as I only have a pay as you go phone; to get your driver back to move the machine to my property. I could not move the machine as I have a back problem resulting from shattering 2 vertebra's in a car accident in 2002.

Upon the driver returning his first words were “if you had answered your f**king phone you would of known we were here”, Firstly this is totally unacceptable and quite frankly rude. To which I replied, “the number you have is my brothers, who will be here for 12 to let you in had you got here when you were supposed to”. Your driver then said “do you want this f**king machine moved or not”, He then grabbed the machine by the packaging straps very aggressively and banged the machine off a radiator and the staircase post. When I unpacked the machine, I found it to be damaged (dented) that in my opinion was caused by your drivers neglect to my property.

On calling the customer service line again, costing me more money. A replacement machine was arranged for about 2-3 days later, this machine also turned up damaged. I then had to call in again, yet more cost to me (at this point had cost me £25 in call time credit) to arrange delivery of yet another machine. This machine was delivered and on first inspection looked ok, then I looked closer and found the plastic panel where the control buttons are on the front to be cracked. I called customer services again and was advised that you had no more of the model I have, and could not replace it. In the end after much discussion about different machines, I kept this machine and was given a £25 refund by cheque to compensate for a damaged machine.

On 1st January 2008, this machine broke; one of the plastic tumblers inside the drum broke off from the drum. This time, due to having no phone credit I emailed your company (your Ref: ARG2580626X) on the 02/01/2008. I received a reply on 04/01/2008 telling me that this machine was over 30 days old and that an engineer would have to come out and then I would have to wait another 7 days for a report, Now im pretty sure that this final machine was not outside the 30 day period so the information was wrong. Furthermore, I had asked for a manager to contact me on my phone as I had no way to call your company in the first email; of which im still waiting for to date.

I then replied to this email on the same day, I then did not receive a reply until 13/01/2008, which I find totally unacceptable (ref ARG2601934X). This reply again, told me to call in to arrange a replacement this time; even though I had already told your company that I have no way to call in. I did call in, and arrange for another new machine. This machine was delivered on 21/01/2008, a whole 19 days since I had contacted your company.

The delivery time agreed on the phone was between 0700-0900; we waited in until 0930 but had to leave to go to college. The driver called me at 0950 to say that he was on his way, when told they should have been there before 0900 he then proceeded to argue with me that it was not possible I was told that. I then terminated the call; luckily my brother has a key for my property and come over to take delivery.

On inspection of this machine everything looks ok im pleased to say.

Now this has cost me unacceptable costs from using a launderette and transport costs to and from the launderette, also damage to some of my clothing from the machine when it broke.

I will break down what costs we have incurred due to this delay and unreliable goods.

Launderette costs.

Each wash load costs £4.00 x 2 loads a day = £8 per day.

Each drying load costs £0.50p per load (half load of washer) x 4 = £2 per day.

Transport by bus £1 each x 2 each way = £2 x 2 for return = £4 per day

Total = £14 per day extra costs.

We had to do this for a total of 18 days (Machine broke on 01/01/2008, we went to the launderette on 03/01/2008 up to 21/01/2008 a total of 18 days)

£14 per day total costs x 18 days = £252.

This total is not including the phone credit I have used to contact your company about problems that should not of happened, Had the delivery driver for the first machine done his job correctly then its very likely my machine would not of been damaged so all these other problems would not of occurred.

I feel we should be compensated the extra costs we have had to pay out due to gross incompetence of Argos in this instance. We are very sad that a company so large and well known as Argos has treated us in this manor when we spent our money with you.

We feel very very let down and will think long and hard before we purchase anything from Argos in the future.

Sincerely,

Received this today of the cheeky fookers....

Thank you for you recent letter.

I was very concerned to learn of the difficulties that you have experienced with out delivery personnel. On behlaf of Argos transport department I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies for any distress this incident has caused.

Our drivers are trained to privide a consistently high level of customer service and if we receive any information to the contrary, we consider it to be extremely serious...bla bla bla...

In light of the current situation I can offer gift vouchers to the value of £20.00 as a gesture of goodwill. Any increase on this amount would have to be fully substantiated with relevant supporting documentation detailing any financial losses incurred, forwarded to the address below..

Now since when do unmanned launderette washing machines and dryers give receipts ? since when do you get a receipt on a bus when you use your oyster card credit ?

what to do now peeps ?

New to this site, YOU HAVE OVER 500 POSTS!!:-o

That was posted two years ago when (s)he was new!

New to this site, YOU HAVE OVER 500 POSTS!!:-o

look at the post date and join date

8th February 2008, 23:08 post date

I am sure you can work out the join date !

That was posted two years ago when (s)he was new!

Quite correct Blitz :)

look at the post date and join date

8th February 2008, 23:08 post date

I am sure you can work out the join date !

Quite correct Blitz :)

God yeah, sorry. Ya been at it for 2 years. My mistake

Lots happened since 2008 aye..........:)

• 2 years later...