• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DLC/Hillesden Citi Card please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bump.

Please can someone give me some advice. I don't want to get caught out napping, they are asking me to contact within 7 days otherwise they may take further action. Should I let them know they have not fulfilled my CCA request of 3 years ago. I have done a lot of reading on this site and it seems best not to ignore their letters in case they think you are ready to cave and go for a CCJ. The debt they are chasing is for a Citi Card that I never applied for, it was sent to me without any kind of Credit Check has anyone else had this happen?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The debt they are chasing is for a Citi Card that I never applied for, it was sent to me without any kind of Credit Check has anyone else had this happen?

That does seem queer.

If that was what happened, it would have been an offence contrary to section 51 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the OFT should have done something more about it than the traditional light chastisement with a feather.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rebel11,

Does the following paragraph from No 5 on your list still apply? Just need confirmation it has not changed so I can sleep at night.

1.2 The sanction under the Act for non-compliance with an information

request is unenforceability of the credit or hire agreement for so long as

the creditor or owner fails to comply with his duty.

Where there is such

a failure, the courts have no discretion to allow enforcement.

thanks

Eli:-)

Hi Rebel11,

Does the following paragraph from No 5 on your list still apply? Just need confirmation it has not changed so I can sleep at night.

1.2 The sanction under the Act for non-compliance with an information

request is unenforceability of the credit or hire agreement for so long as

the creditor or owner fails to comply with his duty.

Where there is such

a failure, the courts have no discretion to allow enforcement.

thanks

Eli:-)

Yes it does still stand

Rebel

Not sure if i got this right...

The judge summed up (carey) that the presscribed terms can be in another document even if the document they are in do not relate to the agreement... 173 (3)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Got another big envelope today with a letter from Citi to DLC in which they wrote "we enclose true copies of the debtor's original and final agreement." Also letter from DLC saying basically that due to the age of the account they can not supply the original agreement but just because they are prevented from enforcing they will still be chasing and reporting to credit ref agencies. Is this a stale mate situation?

thanks

Eli

Factually or in the eyes of the creditor???

Nothing really, true copy is the legal term in the Acts (CCA 74 etc) Reconstructed is when the creditor says we don't have the original but it will have looked exactly like this (Honest M'Lud).

I like the HMMM as you disagree... very diplomatic ha ha....

Well i see your point, however if the true copy does not contain the signature or various other items how can it be said to be a true copy as it can not be proved to have been signed by the debtor?

Which is where the "put to strict proof" comes in. If they can not produce the original how can it have been taken from the original, they clearly don't have it?

Did any of that rambling make any sense!!??

The reason I ask is in ref to my post below on another thread (don't want to hijack this one). The letter was in response to my 3 year old CCA request.

Hi Folks,

Got another big envelope today with a copy of a letter from Citi to DLC in which they wrote "we enclose true copies of the debtor's original and final agreement." Also letter from DLC to me saying basically that due to the age of the account they can not supply the original agreement but just because they are prevented from enforcing they will still be chasing and reporting to credit ref agencies. Is this a stale mate situation?

thanks

Eli

well am of the veiw that if it does not contain your signiture, then its not a true copy of the signed original, but a true copy of what it would have looked like without your signiture lol

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

The reason I ask is in ref to my post below on another thread (don't want to hijack this one). The letter was in response to my 3 year old CCA request.

Hi Folks,

Got another big envelope today with a copy of a letter from Citi to DLC in which they wrote "we enclose true copies of the debtor's original and final agreement." Also letter from DLC to me saying basically that due to the age of the account they can not supply the original agreement but just because they are prevented from enforcing they will still be chasing and reporting to credit ref agencies. Is this a stale mate situation?

thanks

Eli

Yep, they just admitted they can not enforce the debt in the court, though they can still ask you to make repayments

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.