Bailiffs and council tax

kimmcgeoghan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone help me. Have today had a hand delivered letter from Equita bailiffs concerning my council tax arrears. Have been paying my council tax over the automated phone line and am now only behind by this month, 79.00 pounds. I have also had a, notice of seizure and inventory of goods, which states that i owe 569.50 pounds for council tax, and 162.00 bailiff costs. This is their first visit. Their have put on there my vehicle registration and a description of my car, but the car is on hire purchase. Could anyone please give me any advice on what to do next, or who i should get in touch with first. The letter says payment due in full - 24 hours. Thanks.

This is WRONG.

Do NOT let the bailiff into your home.

Can you please send me the name of the actual bailiff who's name is on the letter. I will check to see if he is certificated.

Please send this by Private Message ONLY.

I

I agree with tomtubby, do NOT let them in. In order to carry out a levy of goods they first have to gain peaceful entry to your home. They cannot charge you for a levy if they cannot carry one out. The fees seem a little high, their first visit should be £24.50, second visit £18.50 totalling £43.00 if my memory serves me well?

They CANNOT charge for any further visits. They can charge for a levy once it has been done or walking posession, I'm pretty sure they cannot charge for a van either unless a levy has been carried out and they return to take goods with a van which can only be charged at a reasonable rate.

They cannot force entry to your property and if you have been paying the council by automated phone line you should advise the bailiff of this if he returns.

Hope this helps

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

Unless you have let them into your home previously they cannot have a walking posession, they need to list items within your property which you then have to sign, if they havent been in your home then they cannot charge for a walking posession, seems like these cowboys are trying it on. It may well be worth writing to them asking for a full break down of costs on your account. You will then be able to see what they are actually charging you for and contest the charges if they are not correct. This could also buy you a little time.

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

If you have a garage, put your car in it and keep the garage locked, they cannot break into your garage or park well away from your property until the matter is sorted out.

Hi Kim,

if your car is on finance they cannot take the car. If they return, show them the HP agreement, that will prove to them the car is on finance. So long as you can prove anything is on HP they will not be able to take it. It still remains though "do NOT let them in"!

Your welcome :D

If your car is on HP they are not allowed to remove it, although your name is on the log book it still technically belongs to the finance company. So long as you can prove its on HP they cant do diddly. :D

I look forward to your next chapter :D Good luck!