• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MBNA a new tactic

scousepie

As seen at: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/116833-mbna-letter-world-record.html#post1184827

Utterly, utterly ridiculous. Just what do MBNA hope this risible nonsense will achieve?

Mine was sent several weeks after they'd sent an unenforceable agreement, but since MBNA don't appear to be able to find their arse with both hands and the light on, nothing surprises me about them. This week I have received 2 loan offers and a pre-approved credit card form from them as well. Cretins.

My Wife received this letter today and we could not believe it, we are still waiting for the CCA agreement request to be sent us .

your thoughts! welcome.

http://www.uploadone.com/images/scousepie/letter2.jpg

you are going to get bombarded by more of these "types of correspondences" keep them to use as evidence

we think there are up to about 8 stages in these "bools*ite" letters

it would be a good idea when you have the full set to scan them onto a single thread to display the evolution of their tactics

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

Wel, THAT little missive should certainly be reported to Trading Standards and the OFT. How many rules does it break????? :D

Oh yes; it's in the file I'm building up for TS and OFT - I intend to hit them with one complaint about MBNA's dodgy practices. The loan letters could be an attempt to encourage further lending in order to repay them, or a try at getting me to phone. On the other hand it may just be MBNA's admin vortex at work, in which case it would appear to be evidence of irresponsible lending.

Vulture -

I am in the process of setting up a site to show just that sort of thing, with scanned examples of ways in which DCAs and creditors fail to comply with law and regulatory rules. Primarily it is to give the lie to the CSA's drivel, but will also be useful to show people what they can expect.

the next letter says

mr xxxxx i haven't given up on you

don't ruin your lifestyle

it shows a large pink piggy bank bottom right corner "could this be your new next friend"

sorry you have to wait about a month for the next letter -

we have various clients communications at various stages in the office.

piggybank.png

PC

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

This is terrible, thank goodness I found this site and I am wise and informed about my rights and what little power these types of cretins have, this time last year something like this would have left me panic stricken, now it would get filed .... with the rest !!!

This is terrible, thank goodness I found this site and I am wise and informed about my rights and what little power these types of cretins have, this time last year something like this would have left me panic stricken, now it would get filed .... with the rest !!!

and write the date you received it at the top !!

PC

That was one of my favourites. I think you'll get one of these next (with or without the "Final Notice" added)

6nqdf8m.jpg

I like the way they specify a time, you can just imagine them watching the big clock on the wall and wondering if you are going to call.....

Oh that is quite a scary looking piece of paper:o. What worries me is the people whose lives are being destroyed by this sort of behaviour who haven't found out that it is utter bullsh*t.

MBNA rang my neighbours because I would not answer the phone:mad: So when they couldn't find my CCA or indeed any paperwork at all regarding my alleged debt to them it was a very happy day for me. They deserved it.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

That was one of my favourites. I think you'll get one of these next (with or without the "Final Notice" added)

6nqdf8m.jpg

I like the way they specify a time, you can just imagine them watching the big clock on the wall and wondering if you are going to call.....

This is a work of art, it is a form of Bullying?

Abbey Settled 3,600:cool:

Just started battle with

EGG

Virgin CC

Abbey

MBNA

I have seen the 'even if not read by you' bit before.

What in heaven's name is that supposed to mean? After all if you hadn't received it you could not have read the damned thing?

And how are you supposed to seek help from them? I tried that a long time ago - they don't do help....

BANK CHARGES

Others

Hmm made me chuckle reading that wonderfully worded letter

the "valid even if not read by you" part, true stroke of genius isn't it

Bit like Robbinson Ways Pseudo Court Letter. Valid Even If Not Read By You What utter Bullsh!t

Send One Back:

Lets Get Right To The Point...No Agreement=No Enforcable Debt:D

HAK

Yep! That's the sort of thing I now put in my letters.

It couldn't be clearer could it!!!?

Regards, Jeff.

MBNA rang my neighbours because I would not answer the phone:mad: So when they couldn't find my CCA or indeed any paperwork at all regarding my alleged debt to them it was a very happy day for me. They deserved it.

OMG - that's outrageous they're surely not allowed to do that!!! isn't that bullying? Did you report it to any authority - if so what happened.

I'm appalled!:-x

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

No but OH shouted at them a lot!!! As they have gone away with no money I think they got what they deserved but they were threatened with being reported to everyone OH could think of while speaking to them on my neighbour's phone:o

BANK CHARGES

Others

LOL - a Valentine from MBNA, just imagine it :)

MBNA seem totally out of control - unfortunately after you've been bombarded with their moronic letters, postcards, and other rubbish they then sell the debt to a DCA. It doesn't matter if they haven't provided a CCA and have committed an offence - they'll still do it and default you in the process :mad: . Why do they do it? Because they've got utter contempt for the UK consumer and know that UK consumer law is toothless. Typical behaviour of an American company really ;) .

WOOLWICH -S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 :cool:

LBA sent for non-compliance with Data Protection Act 28/04/07 :mad:

ABBEY - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 8)

I had similar from them, wasn't it a great delight when I was able to close 3 cards I had with them in one swoop when they refunded £2K of charges to my account after one phone call (they didn't meet the time limits of the DPA which made it a straight choice for them!).

I would avoid them at all costs - being in debt to them means 20 or so attempted automated dialler calls a day. Horrid to be so scared of your own front room.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress