Advice on my minor knock

Beaker_smiles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in June I had a very low speed bump (5mph max) with a car in front of me. The total damage was just a small amount of plastic shaved off the bumper.

I gave them my details, but didn't have any paper to take their details (and they wouldn't let me have any), and offered to settle without going through the insurers as the damage was so slight. The other party agreed, and then we went our seperate ways.

In July, four weeks after the accident, my insurer contacted me to ask if I had an accident. I told them I had, and said that I had offered to settle personnally as the damage was so slight (I still can't beleive that they wanted a new bumber, but I hit them, my bad) and it would be cheaper to settle between ourselves. My insurer said they would handle the details as they had been contacted by the other insurer, but the information I had supplied was very helpful.

I have been in contact with my insurer about a month ago because I have heard nothing else, and I am starting to worry that the other party may be trying to exagerate the damage, but they gave me the same line, that they would ensure that the claim is reasonable, and I can refund them the money so I can keep my no claims bonus.

I have never received anything in writing, or had any communication from my insurer other than the initial call to ask if I had been in an accident (and I use the term accident loosely).

Should I be worried, as nobody is really giving me any information, or does it mean that the other party is probably going to drop the claim? Six months seems an auwfully long time for what is in escence a scratch on a bumper.

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

6 months is an awfully long time, however as it was such a minor knock, the third party just probably hasn't got round to booking their car in for repair yet.

To put it into context, I had a fairly bad accident in February, I caused £9.5k worth of dmg to my car, wrote off 2 other cars & caused 2 (minor) injury claims. I was going on holiday the following week, when I got back from holiday my car had been repaired & since collecting it, I have heard nothing more from my insurer, nor do I expect to. Although by now, they will have paid out for the 2 cars I wrote off, & also the injury claims - this is what insurance is for, insurers do it all for you!

If I were you, I would ring your insurers & ask them to get in contact with the third party insurers to ask them whether their insured still intends on claiming (for all you know, they may have sold the vehicle or anything in that time period). If they are still claiming, ask them whether they have had an estimate yet - they should have either a) had one of their nominated approved repairers assess the car or b) received an estimate from their insured for the repair. At least you will then know the costs involved, although i do fear they may well replace the bumper, as is so often the case with these sorts of claims. You are probably looking at a few hundred pounds at least.

You might also find that the repair has been carried out & the claim done & dusted. Just give them a ring, they will be able to give you all the info you need. :p