• Tweets

• I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.    Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.   The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved.  Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
    • I was referring to #415 where you wrote "I was forced to try to sell - and couldn't." . And nearer the start in #79 .. "I couldn't sell.  I had an incredibly valuable asset. Huge equity.  But the interest accrued / the property market suffered and I couldn't find a buyer even at a level just to clear the debt." In #194 you said you'd tried to sell for four years.  The reason for these points is that a lot of the claims against for example your surveyor, solicitor, broker, the lender and now the receiver are mainly founded in a belief that they should have been able to do something but did not. Things that might seem self evident to you but not necessarily to others. Pressing these claims may well need a bit more hard evidence, rather than an appeal to common sense. Can you show evidence of similar properties, with similar freehold issues, selling readily? And solid reasons why the lender should have been able to sell when you couldn't.
    • You can use a family's address.   The only caveat is for the final hearing you'd need to be there in person   HOWEVER i'd expect them to pay if its only £200 because costs of attending will be higher than that
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Citi Cards - *****WON & PAID IN FULL****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have sent DPA request letter on 17th March 2006. I got sent back a subject access request form (23rd March), they require passport or poof of identity plus proof of my address sent with form. Well seeing as I have an active account and they send my statement to the same address I applied for the DPA from I refused to supply them.

I phoned customers services (27th March) and requested the statements I am missing (only six in the last 4 years). I phoned customer services again (18th April) as still no statements they say they have been sent out but nothing arrived so they are being resent.

2nd May and still no statements so I have sent repayment request letter one with the sum I have form all my other statements also stating that I am still awaiting my DPA request for missing statements.

Reply received saying they are aware of the OFT statement about charges they [Citi group] are not party to the OFT investigation. They [Citi group] believe the charges are fair, transparent and lawful etc. They are waiting the industry response to the report but will be in forcing their T&C etc until Citi group review them.

Should you wish to take your complaint further contact the Finance & Leasing association.

So letter two final request for repayment sent.

Claiming £700.00 plus interest over last 4 years.

Citi Cards - £800 - N1 Form logged at court

Defence entered

£279 refuned £521 outstanding on claim

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

March 07 Bailiffs called in to collect

20/4 Cheque for £549 - I WIN

Abbey - Setteled in full 9th Nov 2006 £3,300

Abbey - Data Protetion Act informtion

ICO complaint logged

Abbey - N1 Logged - 12/02/2007 £933

FOS Complaint logged 07/03/2007

£180 refunued -Good will Gesture 01/04/2007

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Egg - Data Protection Act request

Returned charges £80

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Times up off go the court action forms.... .. .

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

God luck! They'll cough up in the end :rolleyes:

Just take a look at my thread..should give you some hope. They offered me a settlement within 5 days of filing the claim on line.

Just stick to your timescales you'll be ok :)

God luck! They'll cough up in the end :rolleyes:

Just take a look at my thread..should give you some hope. They offered me a settlement within 5 days of filing the claim on line.

Just stick to your timescales you'll be ok :)

Thanks for the advice, just read your thread ... much like mine.

They too have refused to re-issue my card. I have cleared the balance and they owe me 47p as I’m in credit. I get a statement every month with £0.47 credit and credit limit £2000 available to spend Nil.

Just give me back my £800 and close the account...

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Don't think you'll have to wait too long morsy.

Like Tink says, stick to what you want and see what's been achieved by others:-)

Smile: £2,522 full payment received,

Citi Cards: £693.71 balance written off. Full value of Court claim,

West Brom Building Society: DPA request sent 15.05.06,

Capital 1: £220 claimed LBA sent 15.05.06.

Barclaycard: DPA request sent 16.05.06

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Had a few issues with local county court getting the forms logged mainly due to fee exemption so hopefully sorted out now just waiting for them to get processed.

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got the court papers filed before I went on holiday.

I have been away for just over a week so not been able to keep up with things online. I have today received a defence from CITI and a cheque for £279. Basically they have refunded me the difference between what they have charged me and the OFT ruling of £12.00. My claim is for £615.00 (I have copy of their full defence in PDF).

The defence in brief is that:

• Citi denies that the charges are unlawful

• The OFT statement says the level of the charges was unfair not the principle

• Citi say this is not a money claim but a damages claim and interest is not applicable to this action.

• Interest is claimed from date of breach not date of payment.

What should I do now? Bank the cheque as it doesn't seem to be a full and final settlement. Continue with my claim for the rest? If so what should I do / what should happen next?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Hi Morsy

Take a look at my thread-- the more support we give each other the better!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/12913-rich2568-citicards-interesting-development.html

We will beat them -- no matter how long they hold out for!!

Any feeling that I`ve helped you today- then add to my reputation and click those scales!

Thanks for the link.... looks like we are in the same boat!

I have not had a request as yet to move the case but then again maybe they won't as I filed mine at Reading CC which is where their reqstered office is.

As they have entered a defence and refunded me part of the claim. I'm not sure what to do next. Do I need to write to them or do nothing?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Just carry on as normal-- thats if you are not happy with the amount refunded?

If-- and that`s a BIG IF-- the case goes to court-- you just explain to the court there has been a partial settlement, but are seeking the remainder of the claim!

I have read that you could write/ phone the court explaining the partial settlement-- just to keep the case up to date.

Any feeling that I`ve helped you today- then add to my reputation and click those scales!

Ok so i don't need to do anything just await the allocation questionnaire, complete and return it.

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Yep-- hold on in there for the long term!!

Like I said you could contact the court just to let them know what Citicards have given you BUT you are seeking the remainder of the claim.

I`m sure when the questionnaire comes we`ll help you further!

Update...

Well Citi filed a defence and forgot to sign it. The court sent it back to them and not had any defence back from them as yet. The 14 days are up so I have filed for judgement in default. Case of which gets processed first according to the admin dept at the county court. If I get judgement by default Citi could always appeal it so watch this space.

I have notified the court that my claim was for £720.05 (£610.00 plus interest £100.05) they have paid £279.00 so I’m asking for judgement by default for the difference which is £441.05 plus daily interest

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Thanks for the advice, just read your thread ... much like mine.

They too have refused to re-issue my card. I have cleared the balance and they owe me 47p as I’m in credit. I get a statement every month with £0.47 credit and credit limit £2000 available to spend Nil.

Just give me back my £800 and close the account...

I have started a claim against Citi on behalf of my late Father. I wonder if they will threaten not to re-issue his card?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Citi finally got there defence sorted out and logged.

Court questionaire on the way ... watch this space!

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Allocation Questionaire (N149) arrived today. Is there anything in particular that I need to put on this form?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not going to well at the moment

Got a letter today from Citi's Solicitor - Brian Smith

Basicly Citi will not settle out of court they are only offering to refund me my court fee in adition to the money (differance between charges and £12 OFT ruling) they have already refunded. There reason is that doing so would entitle card holders (in there words) ... 'to breach your contract with [citi] at any time with utter impunity. That is not what the OFT report meant to imply when it recognised that only the amount of default charges was unfair not the default charges themselves. The logical upshot of you and all other cardholders seeking to recover all such legitimate charges is the end to free banking in the UK, hardly a position the OFT would endorse.

[citi] has recognised the OFT report as has the rest of the industry and refunded the differance in the amounts. To do more would suggest cardholders may simply run their accounts as they see fit. That is neither a responsible nor a tenable business proposition as I am sure you would, upon reflection, agree. I believe the court will also accept the logic of this and the OFT reports finer and overlooked implication that some form of default is acceptable.'

The AQ has been before the judge and further info requested from the defendants and is now back before the judge.

Claim was for £821.05. Repaid £279.00 Amount left to reclaim £521.05 (charges & interest) + £80 court fee.

Any thoughs on what to do next?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

of course I am willing for them to recover their actual costs which we all know is not £12 per item / defualt.

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

I'm reading this thread with interest I sent my LBA off recently

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

you are of course willing to pay the "actual" cost incurred by citi, if they say it is £12 let them prove it in court

dont think a defence of we need to fleece the "poor" to give the rich free banking will wash either, citi also dont provide free banking only credit cards AFAIK

of course I am willing for them to recover their actual costs which we all know is not £12 per item / defualt.

then proceed with the claim its who blinks first :)

tbh you would expect better arguments from lawyers:p

Well today I got a notice of allocation to the small claims track, hearing in 3 months.

Looks like citi want to go to court and are not prepared to disuse the matter or try to settle.... Shame my mum filed her N1 against HSBC and they offered full amount (over 5k) straight up.

Looks like citi want a fight. I don't like the idea of going to court, looks like I got some reading up to do and preperations to be doing!

Any one else had problems with citi? I'm only after £500 any way surly it’s going to cost them more in legal fees then to pay out now.

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Well today I got a notice of allocation to the small claims track, hearing in 3 months.

Looks like citi want to go to court and are not prepared to disuse the matter or try to settle.... Shame my mum filed her N1 against HSBC and they offered full amount (over 5k) straight up.

Looks like citi want a fight. I don't like the idea of going to court, looks like I got some reading up to do and preperations to be doing!

Any one else had problems with citi? I'm only after £500 any way surly it’s going to cost them more in legal fees then to pay out now.

Citi are playing hard - sad letters I had from Brian Smith and all. I have issued claim on 11th it will be deemed to be served on 19/08 and they have until 04/09 to reply. Will keep you updated but if they want court action then that is fine let them prove that £12 is fair - be interesting if this actually gets to court.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I`ve just read through this thread as we have received a letter from Citi lawyer Brian Smith. It is as previously stated they say that default fees are not unlawful and that if we breach our contract they are entitled to levy a default fee, just not one in excess of £12.

He goes on to state that in line with the OFT statement he recommends that Citi write off £279 of our £615 claim and that accordingly our account has been reduced by that amount.

He then goes onto state that should we wish to proceed for the full amount that they will defend the action on the basis of the OFT`s statement and that they will have the right to have claim transferred to Salford County Court.

We are in Scotland and would pursue this in our local court or is he correct.

Any advice gratefully received,thank you.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks