TV licence fine forced to be paid but person not believed to be responsible for it?

Paulinuk2014
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have a friend who today got an on the spot fine of £650 for non payment of TV Licence in her previous residence

This information is a little vague at present, but I am hoping its enough to get a feel for the options available when I speak to her in detail tomorrow

She shared a house a with others in East London and vaguely recalls opening the door to someone whilst at that address and giving her name

She paid rent but was not listed on the rental contract. The person who was on paperwork appears to have not paid the license. She had no idea about any of this.

I can only assume that TV licensing tracked her down and sent the bailiffs round to her current address where she has been since last September, or perhaps someone at her old address gave them her details.

Due to the threats placed on her, she felt she had no option but to pay up on the spot which she did. Apparently she can appeal does anyone know where exactly she would stand? She has also mentioned that they want more money, but I am not sure how much.

If she appeals and wins I assume that she would get her money back?

Where does she start in terms of defence? I think she has a case in that she was not the owner of the TV set and was not specifically named to her knowledge on the license

If she can obtain a copy of the rental agreement for the property which does not list her name does this help her appeal?

For it to get as serious as it has doesnt this mean that TV licensing would have sent her several warning letters? She moved out of the property concerned in August last year, and so would not have seen any warning letters.

It seems to me as if the person who had overall responsibility for paying bills has stitched her up

Any rapid advice on this would be gratefully received. I believe that the appeal has to be lodged quickly

Likewise, if I have missed some key information, please let me know so that I can try to get it from her.

This is a very nasty situation for her she is not from the UK, although her English is good there are areas where she is naturally unsure of, like this.

She appears to have been penalised for something that was not her responsibility to pay. Does all of this have any impact on her credit score? Or does that only apply if she does not cooperate with the court? As she has already paid £650 am I right in assuming her credit file is not affected?

Paul

Hello

I have a friend who today got an on the spot fine of £650 for non payment of TV Licence in her previous residence

This information is a little vague at present, but I am hoping its enough to get a feel for the options available when I speak to her in detail tomorrow

She shared a house a with others in East London and vaguely recalls opening the door to someone whilst at that address and giving her name

She paid rent but was not listed on the rental contract. The person who was on paperwork appears to have not paid the license. She had no idea about any of this.

I can only assume that TV licensing tracked her down and sent the bailiffs round to her current address where she has been since last September, or perhaps someone at her old address gave them her details.

Due to the threats placed on her, she felt she had no option but to pay up on the spot which she did. Apparently she can appeal does anyone know where exactly she would stand? She has also mentioned that they want more money, but I am not sure how much.

If she appeals and wins I assume that she would get her money back?

Where does she start in terms of defence? I think she has a case in that she was not the owner of the TV set and was not specifically named to her knowledge on the license

If she can obtain a copy of the rental agreement for the property which does not list her name does this help her appeal?

For it to get as serious as it has doesnt this mean that TV licensing would have sent her several warning letters? She moved out of the property concerned in August last year, and so would not have seen any warning letters.

It seems to me as if the person who had overall responsibility for paying bills has stitched her up

Any rapid advice on this would be gratefully received. I believe that the appeal has to be lodged quickly

Likewise, if I have missed some key information, please let me know so that I can try to get it from her.

This is a very nasty situation for her she is not from the UK, although her English is good there are areas where she is naturally unsure of, like this.

She appears to have been penalised for something that was not her responsibility to pay. Does all of this have any impact on her credit score? Or does that only apply if she does not cooperate with the court? As she has already paid £650 am I right in assuming her credit file is not affected?

Paul

More info would be useful : I suspect it isn't an "on the spot fine" : not least as it is hardly "on the spot " from the time / date of the alleged offence.

It sounds like she was reported for watching TV without a licence, and found guilty at court in her absence.

A fine resulted, which wasn't paid, and bailiffs then pursued her at her new address.

If this is correct :

a) was she aware of any court proceedings

b ) did she receive a "further steps" notice about an unpaid fine

c) did the bailiff show her any paperwork, and if do what address was on the warrant?

So she handed £650 over to someone, a stranger in effect. How does she even know it was tv licence? Seems like the language barrier must have played a part for her to not know who she was giving money to.