• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet Prestige PRT 325 FFCS - fridge/freezer broken after 15 months

Homesgirl123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, i would make the following amendments. Hope this isn't too late.

If they do not respond, contact Consumer Direct again and ask that a TSO contact you (as you have already written to the company).

It is down to you to prove the fault, which my mean an engineers report, but the 2nd paragraph in red should prove to be OK. And let us know how you get on.

I have a Prestige fridge freezer, I bought it 2 and a half years ago. All was going well until a month ago when the freezer temperature started to struggle to stay to -18. My boyfriend found this sight and we were amazed to see how many people had the same problem! I've defrosted it and now it won't even freeze!

I did ring the helpline once (I have not got warranty cover) but there was a 17 minute wait to speak to an engineer so I did not hold (calls were 10p per minute).

Am I ok to try this template? I feel angry that I've been sold something that breaks after 2 and a half years, especially as it cost me £430...

PB

PS. I called the helpline this morning and got through after a 10 minute wait. Guess what? The call out is now £69! Is this a lot for an engineer to visit? I'm sending a letter and going to have to find a local engineer that hopefully doesn't cost as much.....

PB

Edited by Homesgirl123
additional info

own thread created

there are lots of threads on these

most got them sorted under soga

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I got a response back by letter from Comet, not good news I'm afraid. The letter states that as the unit has been working for 30 months with no previous repair history and with no evidence to indicate that it was sold with a manufacturing defect they are confident that it was of satisfactory quality when I purchased it, therefore they will not repair or replace it free of charge. Obviously I'm not happy about this and feel that they are in breach of the SGA with regards to the durability of the product. I want to fight this with them but am I fighting a losing battle?

thats what you'd expect sadly

we do have a comet rep here

and there is also a very legthy thread here of several unsatisfied customers

prestige say they dont make them & the comet have just stuck their badge on them!

funny how its sold by other retailers under that badge

when oh when it this company going to start respecting customers rights under SOGA.

wriggle wriggle wriggle.

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/Prestige-Appliances-PRESTIGE-PRT325FFCS-Reviews/42028541.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?183674-Comet-fridge-freezer-broken-after-15-months-Prestige-PRT-325-FFCS&highlight=Prestige+PRT

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've got absolutely nowhere with comet. I've reminded them of my rights and their responsibilities under the SOGA but they've just sent their latest e-mail to me stating

in the event you wish to refer the matter through the legal channels Comet will act upon any court paper received. I don't know whether it's worth fighting this anymore, I've got a borrowed fridge and no freezer as the appliance gave up the ghost! I'm thinking of getting an engineer out to look at it but am I just throwing good money after bad? The engineer will probably tell me it's beyond repair anyway looking at a lot of the previous comments.

that sadly and very bad

can i suggest you follow the info of post 5 here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?333387-Comet-aftercare-warranty&p=3676152#post3676152

dx

and they

Hi

I got a response back by letter from Comet, not good news I'm afraid. The letter states that as the unit has been working for 30 months with no previous repair history and with no evidence to indicate that it was sold with a manufacturing defect they are confident that it was of satisfactory quality when I purchased it, therefore they will not repair or replace it free of charge. Obviously I'm not happy about this and feel that they are in breach of the SGA with regards to the durability of the product. I want to fight this with them but am I fighting a losing battle?

Hi homesgirl ,

The answer to your last question in your post is most likely yes .

An inspection charge would be made also , either by COMET or an Independant dealer most likely in the £70.00 region.

Irrespective of SOGA or anything else the grey area once more is your FridgeFreezer has worked okay for 30months therefore the onus is on you to prove your product has had an inherent fault since new .

Yes indeed you can take COMET to a small claims court and fight your case regarding the FridgeFreezer now not working and quote SOGA but also in this equation you have had the use of your FridgeFreezer for 30 months or so which will be taken into account .

As COMET have stated they will contest any court action raised against them regarding your faulty FridgeFreezer and COMET are in these courts every day up and down the country fighting similar cases , unfortunately they do win more often than not.

It is now nearly 2 months on and you have got nowhere regarding your issue and to get to a end with this could take many more weeks.

In the meantime you have no FridgeFreezer in operation.

You may have to pay for a repair to get it fixed but if it is found to be uneconomical to repair you may have grounds for some sort of redress with COMET if this was to be the case it is obviously a major component fault.

I would get back on to COMET and pay the inspection charge and take it from there .

I would suggest anything else would be a lost cause and stilll no FridgeFreezer for sometime .

Once again though your issue has been raised here on CAG and that can only help .

Good Luck and keep us informed .

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

the PRT 325 FFCS is KNOWN to have un acked manu faults

just look at the number of them reported on here.

others HAVE been replaced or repaired under soga.

thats 2 posts now where i suspect gorgie

you have somethin to do with these people and customer returns.

you advise in both cases is very iffY>

dx

and they

the PRT 325 FFCS is KNOWN to have un acked manu faults

just look at the number of them reported on here.

others HAVE been replaced or repaired under soga.

thats 2 posts now where i suspect gorgie

you have somethin to do with these people and customer returns.

you advise in both cases is very iffY>

dx

Sorry dx totally wrong !

I have nothing to do with " these people or their customer returns " but I do know a great deal regarding White goods , Brown goods and especially how COMET work regarding faulty goods .

I know even more regarding inherent manufacturing faults , stock faults and anything else you care to mention and have been invoved in this trade for 40 years as an Engineer .

I also know how these retailers operate and yes you can quote SOGA till your blue in the face but the day is not here yet that these retailers adhere to these regulations .

That is why I reply to these threads with a different angle rather than bang the SOGA drum , more of thats how it is at this moment in time rightly or wrongly.

Regards

GorgieBoy

ok GB

thanks for outlining things

however we are here to try and help people not put them OFF complaining

whatever your 'reality' experiance IS , and it is very welcomed,

that not what should rightly happen.

if we bend over and accept it,

consumer rights will get nowhere.

comets have certainly changed recently since the buy out

and appear to or are trying

to get rid of the old school that screwed the customer.

we've had many past managers and staff here

that swear blind what THEY were told was the truth

sadly it is NOT.

looks like you and me in the past have disliked their old customer service to an equal level.

dx

and they

I have had a similar problem with Comet, a Fridge Freezer bought in a box, went home to find that the Fridge was empty inside, no shelves or drawers!!

I took the item back and now two years trying to get my money back and I could not!

Shame on Comet!

I have had a similar problem with Comet, a Fridge Freezer bought in a box, went home to find that the Fridge was empty inside, no shelves or drawers!!

I took the item back and now two years trying to get my money back and I could not!

Shame on Comet!

i'd start your own thread

dx

and they

This link may be of some help and interest regarding an obvious inherent fault with this and similar Prestige models which many owners are now experiencing .

All COMET customers ..........http://www.lydiard.plus.com/owners.htm

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi GeorgieBoy

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get an inspection done and see what the engineer says. I'm reluctant to give up, especially as they're STILL selling these fridge freezers after so many people have had the same problems which I really find unbelievable! I would be happy to settle for a part refund taking into account the usage I've had. I could kick myself for not reporting the initial problem I had with the bottom of the fridge freezing up....

Thanks for the link team, unfortunately I've contacted them through this site and the reply I got was the one I mentioned in my last reply....an inspection report seems the only way forward I will not give in....

regards

Homesgirl123

I've had problems from day 1 with this model, now 24 months old. Three times in the first year their engineer 'fixed it' (after a battle with Commet) only to break down again. Then the 4th time it broke (after 13months) they wouldn't send an engineer as it was 1 month out of guarantee. Quoting SOGA and everything else proved no good. I gave up with Commet as we have kids and didn't have a fridge (or was it freezer that time?!), and paid for it to be mended by an independant engineer (PCB). It again broke down recently - the diverter valve this time.

My own independant engineer says this time he can't even get the parts to fix it as Commet and/or Prestige is a closed shop........

I'm just going to give up and buy a new one. Not from Commet who will never get my business again as long as I live.

Avoid this model and above all, at all costs, AVOID COMMET!!!