• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shelley v Associates (Citi)Judgment awarded but Citi apply for S/A ***ONGOING***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you Andy. I have delivered it to the courts today and we'll see what happens.

Will post any response naturally.

Regards

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have spoken with my local court in the interim and they advised me to give it until today before contacting the Bailiffs in the area where the Warrant will be issued.

I have telephoned the switchboard of the court where the Bailiffs are based only to be told they have not yet done anything with it!!! Is this for real?

I don't understand the process involved and feel out of my depth here. Can someone please advise timeframes involved etc?

We have also received a letter from Robinson Way chasing the original debt on behalf of Capquest and I have advised that the account is in dispute and to go away. (politely of course). Should they be chasing this debt at this stage?

Please help.

Shelley

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Having been on here until almost 4am this morning researching for my various claims, I managed to get up early to phone the Bailiffs to check on how this case was progressing. Call went to answering maching and I left two messages - none have been returned so I guess the Bailiffs in London don't work on Wednesday's???

I am somewhat frustrated that I have won Judgment by default, submitted Execution of Warrant and no one has the courtesy in the court system to tell me what's going on.

What does someone have to do to get a response or update on their case?

End on rant...................

Shelley

I have spent many hours researching this site for similar cases but not having much luck.

I have spoken to the bailiff today who tells me that he has written to Citi and they have requested my bank details but the bailiffs reckons that payments are usually made payable direct to the courts, processed, taking approx 14 days and then the courts refund me. Don't know how long that will take to process.

On a monatory claim, how are payments usually made from a defendant to claimant? Surely the defendant could write a cheque payable to the claimant for them to post, or is that too simple?

Can someone please give me an opinion on this matter?

warrant of execution

To issue a warrant of execution (recovery of a sum of money)

£100

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Would appreciate your opinion on the recent messages on this thread please.

I telephoned Citi today (recorded of course) to be advised that they are aware of the court action and have been asked to provide calculations for the legal department! I don't understand why they needed to do that when I have already been awarded Judgment by Default so I have sent an email to the solicitors acting on their behalf to ask why this information hasn't been forth coming. As I know he works rather late (he sent me an email at 7.30 pm) the other evening requesting copies of judgment etc, I expect to receive something today. Will obviously post accordingly.

I telephoned Citi today (recorded of course) to be advised that they are aware of the court action and have been asked to provide calculations for the legal department! I don't understand why they needed to do that when I have already been awarded Judgment by Default so I have sent an email to the solicitors acting on their behalf to ask why this information hasn't been forth coming. As I know he works rather late (he sent me an email at 7.30 pm) the other evening requesting copies of judgment etc, I expect to receive something today. Will obviously post accordingly.

I have also sent an email to BBC Watchdog programme to highlight my case:)

I have this received a reply to my email see below:

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS

Dear Mr xxxx

xxxx -v- CitiFinancial Europe Plc

Claim No. xxxxxxx

I have now had an opportunity to discuss the position in this claim with my client and I would comment as follows.

I have recommended to CitiFinancial (“CFE”)that it should apply to the Court for an Order setting aside the Judgment entered in default on the basis that CFE has grounds upon which to defend the claim.

The sum Mr xxxx is seeking to recover comprises the premium payable in respect of his PPI policy plus interest calculated at a very high compound rate. In fact, the interest claimed forms the vast majority of the sum Mr xxxx is seeking to recover.

Aside from the merits of the claim to recover the premium in respect of the PPI policy, in my view, Mr xxxx would not recover compound interest and would not recover interest at 29% or anywhere near this rate. The rate of interest awarded by the Court is discretionary. However, bearing in mind that the Bank of England Base Rate is currently 0.5%, I would expect the Court to award interest at a rate of 6% or less.

In the event that CFE is successful in its Application to set aside Judgment, this matter would proceed as a defended claim. This would generate legal costs for CFE which CFE would prefer to avoid. Consequently, I am instructed to put forward the following offer of settlement to bring this matter to an end:

1. CFE will pay the total sum of £xxx.xx inclusive of interest and costs in full and final settlement of this claim.

2. This sum includes the premiums paid by Mr xxxx in the sum of £xxx.xx, contractual interest charged on the premiums in the sum of £xxx.xx and interest at the rate of 8% in the sum of £xxx.xx;

3. Mr xxxx will sign a Consent Order which provides that the Judgment would be set aside by consent;

4. The settlement money referred to above would be paid within 14 days of the date upon which the Court approved the Consent Order.

I should be grateful if you would let me know if you are prepared to accept these terms, failing which CFE will apply to the Court immediately to set aside the Judgment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I do have a couple of questions on this case namely:

What's the point of sending in the bailiffs when they (bailiffs) haven't properly liaised with me or them (Citi)? I take it that this is playing the 'legal game'?

Are there any time constraints on when they can apply to 'set aside judgment'?

I am refusing this measly offer and will be researching the 'Set aside' rules but I would sincerely appreciate any comments my family of Caggers have.

Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Update - The defendant has increased their measly offer twice as I have advised them (nicely of course) that I intended to bring in the High Court Law Enforcement Officers to recover the outstanding monies from the CCJ. I declined the first (above offer) I declined the second offer because it was hardly an increase to he first but I am sleeping on the latest offer.

I expect to have problems getting the mony paid to me anyway once we agree on a settlement amount but I have the info available to advise them (again nicely) that they can't pay it to the DCA. And, as this is for the PPI part of the claim I still have the unfair charges to present to them. Perhaps they think I don't know how to claim those? Ha! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Having had the bailiffs invloved we have finally agreed a settlement. However, they have sent a Tomlin Order through to conclude proceedings which they have filed at court and they await its sealed return before they will release a cheque. Today, I have received a slip from the courts which says;

"The Debtor states that you have been paid direct and he saw the document (s) detailed below. The warrant is now considered to have been paid. Please let the court know within 14 days whether the information given to the bailiff is correct. If you do not do this, the warrant will be filed away and you may have to pay a fee if it necessary to re-issue it. The proof shown to the bailiff was as follows;"

There is nothing shown!!!

Firstly, I haven't been paid yet and probably won't be this side of Christmas and secondly, the courts that are dealing with the warrant do understand the concept of 'communication' because I struggled like hell to get them to give me an update. They'd had the warrant a month and I heard nothing unless I chased them. So i guess I will be chasing again tomorrow?

Dont sign that until you have recieved payment Shelley.Even then dont sign it.:-)

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Dont sign that until you have recieved payment Shelley.Even then dont sign it.:-)

Andy

Forgive me for asking Andy, but why?

I thought you had Judgment, have they set a side?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I had judgment and sent in court bailiffs. I was just on the verge of sending in High Court Enforcement Officers and Citi caved in and they drafted up the agreed terms within a Tomlin Order.

I did make sure that I was not agreeing to the confidentiality clause first though.

They have said that once they get the sealed Tomlin Order back from the courts setting aside the judgment, they will send me the cheque in settlement.

See pm

Does it state within the TO if payment not received by xx xxx xxxx you will have recourse to enforce the Judgment?

Andy

No

Suppose it couldn't really if you have agreed to set a side.

4. The settlement money referred to above would be paid within 14 days of the date upon which the Court approved the Consent Order.

The above inclusion is just as good anyway.

Lets hope its sorted before Xmas then Shelley.

Andy

What was said was " The Defendant shall pay the sum of £xxxx (the settlement sum) to xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx within 14 days of the date of this sealed order".

Can't imagine how long the courts take to process these things if my local court is anything to go on.

Last I heard was 4 weeks behind, keep chasing them up, would be nice to have it through in time. Insist its a priority:wink:

Andy

Which court would be responsible for processing the TO? my local court becasue that is where the Judgment originated from or the court nearest the bailiffs involved? What am I thinking? It's got to be my local court. I will speak to them in the morning and jog it along.

Thank you Andy for dropping in and your support.

The court that issued the judgment Shelley.

Andy

I will get more sense from staff if I actually visit the court tomorrow - the counter staff are much more helpful than the telephonist.

I will post back here tomorrow when I hopefully have more info.

Thank you so much.

Hugs, Shelley

The courts have confirmed receipt of the Order but have returned it to the Defendant's Solicitor as they failed to enclose the £40 fee. I guess they have done that deliberatley to frustrate, but is there anything I can do to speed things up or do I just return the compliment when I submit my next claim to them for the Unfair Charges?

Easy oversight Shelley, not intentional Im sure!!:roll: