• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFC fined for PPI misselling - game over for them!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another One Bites the Dust... Who will be Next ???

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

The great thing with the Misrepresentation Act is that, once it is shown that the policy is unsuitable, it switches the burden of proof on to the seller to show that they acted correctly.

The fact that it has now been established that HFC were misselling policies between 2005 and 2007, it will be very difficult indeed for them to persuade a court that before then everything was fine.

It is worth noting that HFC could have appealed this decision, but they chose to accept the findings.

Can you tell me if Swift Advances have been fined for PPi Miss-selling.

Many thanks

No - this is the full list, courtesy of MSE:

Who’s been fined so far?

• HFC Bank, also trading as "Household Bank" and "Beneficial Finance": Fined £1,085,000, the highest fine to date, in January 2008 for putting customers at an unacceptable risk of being sold PPI when it was not suitable for them. Failings took place in branches between Jan 2005 and May 2007. More Info: HFC Bank
  • Hadenglen Home Finance Plc: Fined £182,000 in September 2007 for inadequate systems and controls when recommending re-mortgages and PPI. PPI failings took place between January 2005 and November 2006. More Info: Hadenglen Home Finance Ltd
  • Capital One: Fined £175,000 in February 2007 for failing to ensure that 50,000 customers buying credit cards and loans between January 2005 and April 2006 received important information about the policy. More info: Capital One
  • GE Capital Bank Ltd: (supplies cards for Asda, Comet, Debenhams and Topshop among others): Fined £610,000 in January 2007 for inappropriate sales of its store cards and credit cards. More info: GE Capital Bank Ltd
  • Loans.co.uk: Fined £455,000 in October 2006 for not having appropriate systems and controls to minimise the risk of unsuitable sales. More info: Loans.co.uk
  • Redcats: Fined £270,000 in December 2006 for also not having adequate systems and controls in place to minimise the risk of unsuitable sales. More info: Redcats
  • Regency Mortgage Corporation: Fined £56,000 in December 2006 for not collecting sufficient information during a PPI sale to ensure its recommendations met customers' demands and needs. More info: Regency Mortgage Corporation

Hi,

Yes its great news for us all, my PPI is aprrox £7000 incl interest, which of course was mis-sold as i was not advised that i could go through a different insurer, i was not told the true amount of the PPI ie payments on top of the loan,the tatal APR charged, and i did not think the person who sold me the loan had my best interests at heart as i explained that i was self-employed and she didnt advise me otherwise.

Good luck to all claiming........"Bring it on"

Regards gordon

Hi,

just to extend the years that HFC have been mis-selling, my loan with the PPI i didnt need was sold to me in August 2004. It we be very interesting how what may HFC try to prove that my PPI was not mis-sold. I am prepared for anything and have nothing to loose as its all gone thanks to HFC, so they are in for 12 rounds of resentment.

Good luck.

Regards

Gordon

I may be able to test the waters with this, as I made a Part 18 request in relation to my claim which dates back to 1998. The information I asked for was regarding their internal procedures, commission, bonus structures, incentives, disincentives etc. - of course, they ignored it.

Earlier this month I filed an application for a Part 18 Order, and it has been listed for a hearing in mid-February. As yet, I have not had the paperwork, but as their defence has also been filed I am guessing it will be a full Case Management Conference.

If it is a CMC, then I will be asking the judge to consider making an order for full disclosure of issues regarding their PPI sales in 1998 based on the FSA findings for 2005-7.

It is definitely time to turn the screw.

Just as soon as I get confirmation through of the hearing I will post more on my thread.

Hi Alan,

Sorry for not replying, i`ve been away. Anyway that part 18 order sounds interesting and should state a few aspects of their selling paractises/ procedures " A NICE TASTEY COOKIE", on another note, i`ve recently recieved my CCA and with that a copy of my PPI or PPI`S as it were, meaning that i paid a seperate preminum for my PPI incl ASU from Hamilton (part of HFC) i`ve also been charged £3600 from HFC for PPI which is solely for ASU from HFC, and they are really going have to justify why they can and have sold me PPI and charged me twice for the insurance against the same PPI product, and obviously the PPI including ASU from Hamilton is a vastly tiny proportion to the later of the charge

I`ll keep you up to date as my case continues.

Regards

Gordon

Hi Alan,

This is my HFC CCA, and as a reply I sent the letter (one of the links below)on the date of issue, i think this explains my stance and what i expect to recieve.

Regards

Gordon

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/nodrog1972/CCA1a.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/nodrog1972/CCA1b.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/nodrog1972/responsetoCCADaramola.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/nodrog1972/responsetoCCAdaramolaa.jpg

Yeah that sounds about right!! as it says just above the boxes "tick as applicable", once i`ve recieved a reply from the letter i sent ( if i get a reply) it will all be documented and fully explained to the governing bodies i spoke about posting a complaint to. They cant say anything to avoid those details especially as i've been charged twice, the argument still and will continue to stand until i get a FULL REFUND WITH INTEREST!!!, so you just keep plugging away it takes time but the reward of justice will be complete when your happy with the result your looking for.

Regards

Gordon

No probs:) ,it's gonna be a long one though, as the same person who mis-sold me the PPI give me mis-represented advice on what to do about payments as i had a change of circumstances back in april 2005, and subsequently due to that ill advice, HFC defaulted me in oct 2005 (did not find out till jan 2007) i have all details that an arrangement to pay was in place before HFC changed details on my credit file, i have all my payment history via bank statements etc etc, so they can "get s*****d", i aint goin anywhere, let the fight begin i say, it's their move now.

Regards

Gordon

Hi All,

Just to say HFC have until 05/02/08 to come up with my request. If they dont then it's off to the OFT the FOS the information office, trading standards, then as of now i will be preparing my case in the small claims to fight a successfull 300 Battle. I am ready, let the fight begin.

Regards

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone has missed the announcement at the top of the forum regarding the class action against HFC, this is now gaining momentum.

I have been personally involved with the formation of the committee of claimants that will be driving the action forward, however if anyone else wishes to get on board then either contact me, or the PPICG (Payment Protection Insurance Claims Group) via the addresses given in the announcement.

We are looking for anyone who believes they may have been missold PPI by HFC, and is either at an early stage with their claim (perhaps up to exchange of AQ's) or has not yet commenced action.

Should your claim meet the criteria for joining the group, the solicitors (Clyde & Co LLB) have guaranteed that any adverse costs will be covered.

We are happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have, and of course, any discussions will be treated as confidential.