• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCJ/Scotland issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all, thought I would get your take on the following situation.

In 1997 I fell out with a vehicle rental company based in England over damage to a vehicle. This resulted in the claimant applying for a CCJ against me...the only issue being that under the terms of the act i am domiciled in Scotland. Here is what happened:

July 2007 - his application is dismissed by St Albans County Court on grounds of being incorreclty served in Scotland and therefore incompetant

I thought that was the end of it and then moved houseonly to find out in December 2008 that he had registered an identical application at St Albans Court - once again! In this instance the judgement was granted by default. I called the court and a district Judge sitting on 22nd December set the case aside on grounds of jurisdiction - I did not have to apply for it to be set aside or anything.

However, early Jan 2009 I get a letter from the Court informing me that judgement had been entered against me by default and I now had a CCJ in my name.

I contacted the CAB who told me to write to HMC at St Albans and point o0ut the action was incompetant and the court has no jurisdiction over me and should be dismissed with costs in my favour - also to complain that the court had granted this judgement despite previously throwing out an identical claim.

In March 2009 I received a letter from the court dismissing my request and informing me I had to apply for a set aside hearing. I wrote back that to do so would result in admitting that the court had jurisdiction.

The court wrote back insisting that I apply to have the judgement set aside.

In May 2009 the cliamant has the enforcement of the judgement by defualt transferred to Scotland and I am presented with a payment order by the Sheriff Clerk's Officers. at this stage I contact my Scottish solicitor who points out to the SCO that they would be in danger of enforcing an incompetant judgement - to be fair to the SCO they hold fire on this. In the meantime my Scottish lawyers write to HMC highlighting the jurisdiction issue. At this time I also request my MP looks into the issue which he does.

The St Alban's court are inisitant however and tell me top apply for a set aside hearing which we eventually decide to do.

A court date is set in October but then i am informed by my scottish solicitor that we should not go to a set aside hearing so i cancel my cheque and write to the court.

We then engage an English lawyer who, working with my Scottish solicitor desides that a set aside application is the best way forward and a date for a hearing is scheduled on 28 th feb

the defence is straightforward -

the claim and judgement are incompetant on jurisdiction

the claimant did not complete the correct N form stating that I was domiciled in Scotland

I have not had the opportuinity to defend myself in court.

We were confident however on Friday afternoon the judge threw it out after 3 minutes on the ground that too much time had elapsed between the initial claim in 2007 and now.

I am very cheesed off about this because it is not exactly for want of trying to get a ruiling that this has dragged on so long. The judge saw no jurisdiction issues despite the clearly stated Paragraph 3 of the act.

All I want is the opportunity to argue my side of the claim in court but let that be in the court that has the jurisdiction to do so.

As things stand the claimant (a litigious fellow who is his own lawyer) seems to have had a streak of luck. My English lawyer is advising me to pay the man (about £5k) and walk away. My Scottish Solicitor is telling me to fight it as it is a serious quesion about jurisdiction that the english judge clearly does not understand and there is a good chance of winning an appeal.

I'm in 2 minds - but I have never put up with a bully before and I believe we have a just cause and a good argument if only we could get a judge to hear it!....

any ideas?

The “you might as well pay up” type of statement for a Solicitor is a typical cop out in my opinion. It is rather a case of “I don’t know how to fight this and if I do my costs will exceed the sun craved so you might as well pay up” on the other hand your Scottish Solicitor clearly understands the case, knows that you should win and as such can crave costs. I the unlikely event that you win but do not get costs then would you rather have paid your Solicitor to eradicate the JJA or pay this litigious fellow?

personally I want to fight the guy- Am furious with the English court - thier judgement is incompetant purely because the judge could not be arsed to look into the jurisdiction issue - if I end up running up 20k it is the principle at stake here and what is more I have a good case

I fully understand and would be much the same as you if I could afford to stand the costs and time.

As for your remark

purely because the judge could not be arsed to look into the jurisdiction
how smart does a Judge need to be to know that there is different legal system north of the border?

I spoke to a very expensive Sol last year who made a £500 per hour living off this issue - he said it was staggering how jurisdiction is not understood in England.

I'm very frustrated by this - essentially due to incompetancy I am faced with a costly legal battle - but hey so are lots of folk here

sadly, I have decided that I will have to pay this guy off - I am bitterly dissapointed as I simply do not owe him what he is claiming. An English Court with no jurisdiction has made a judgement against me and is ignoring the issue of jurisdiction:

This situation is particularly galling here's why:

in the summer of 2007 XXXXXX contact me following an RTA which happened when I was driving one of their vehicles - here was minor panel damage. As I had waived the insurance excess I was liable for this and agreed to pay it. What then happened is that XXX sent a demand for some £4500 of repairs and lost revenue to me for payment. The vehicle was repaired in their own workshops by their own staff and the costs were an estimate of this. In addition they claimed lost revenue for every day the van was off the road. I wrote back saying that this was unacceptable and I needed a break down of the costs together with independent quotes and I was not willing to pay for the vehicle being off the road. Rather than provide that XXX started a claim against me in St Albans County Court.

This initial claim was dismissed as being incompetent due to jurisdiction. I thought this would result in XXX brining the case to Scotland, we moved house in the summer of 2008 and next thing that happened was I received a judgment from St Albans Court in December 2008 finding in favour of XXX by default. Had I been aware of this claim I would have defended it. I contacted the Court and explained that I was resident in Scotland and the case had already been dismissed because of this - The court agreed with me and the Judgement was set aside.

In Mid January 2009 I received a letter from the Court informing me that judgment had been found in favour of the claimant once again by default. This despite the case having been set aside on 2 previous occasions. No one at the court could explain to me why the judgement had been entered despite being previously set aside. At this stage I contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau in St Albans and explained the situation to them. Their advice was to write the letter I sent in February 2009 clearly stating that the court had no jurisdiction as I am resident in Scotland. The court wrote back informing me that I had to apply to have the case set aside at a hearing. This however, would acknowledge that the court had jurisdiction.

In May 2009 XXX swear an oath at St Albans Court enabling the judgement to be entered into the Books of the Court of Sessions, the first I know of this is when the Sheriff's Officers serve this. It was at this point I contacted my Scottish lawyers

On their advice I immediately wrote to the court applying for a hearing to have the case set aside. My Solicitors wrote to the Sheriff's Officers informing them that they could be enforcing a judgement that had been made by a court without jurisdiction.

The first court date in October 2009 was postponed due to holidays.

The 2nd court date was last Friday.

I briefed an English Lawyer and our argument was going to be that under Paragraph 3 of the 1984 Act St Albans Court have no jurisdiction in this case. Also to highlight that the claimant did not complete form N224 - had he done so the court would have identified I was resident in Scotland and acted accordingly - also it would have triggered a process that would have informed me of what I needed to do to defend a jurisdiction case. Watertight you would think? Only on Friday afternoon the Judge dismissed the case - he had no interest in looking into the jurisdiction question and said that the case had been dragging on too long and the judgement stood - despite 2 previous judges throwing it out and the inability of HMCS to answer my queries over jurisdiction.

On Friday evening the claimant wrote to me informing me that unless I pay the full amount by 12th February he will instruct the SO to act.

Now the output of this is twofold. Were I a resident in England I would have the opportunity to have the case heard as it has been found against me by default. This would give the judge the opportunity to look into the amount claimed. Also, I would have the opportunity to request a time to pay order. The problem is that I live in Scotland and this judgement has been logged at the Court of Session which enables the SO to act on the claimant's behalf. I feel bitterly disappointed that I have not had my opportunity to discuss my side of the story in court despite my numerous efforts. All advice I have been given stresses the importance of a case being brought in the correct jurisdiction. I acknowledge my solicitor's advice that I should just settle now but am deeply frustrated at essentially having the best part of £5k plus costs screwed out of me when I don't owe it and by a court system that seems indifferent. However, as I do not have the wherewithal to fund such an appeal it looks like I am just going to have to swallow it.

Therefore the issue now at hand is how I pay XXX The formal written Judgement has not yet been published. XXX are aggressively demanding full payment to a tight timescale and from what I know of this man he will not settle for a lesser amount. I work away from home during the week and I do not want the Sheriff's Officers beating down the door on the 13th March. Is there anything I can do to force XXX to come to a time to pay order? The irony being that if I were in England this would be a simple process of going through the County Court - but as St Albans have no jurisdiction in Scotland then I can't go through the county court.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I guess I am going to have to pay them off but I don't have the means to raise £5k in 2 weeks - it would take me 30 days at least to release this amount. Can I get a time to pay order from the Sheriff Court?

I seem to have got myself pinned down by an unscrupulous and litigious individual who has had the luck of the court.

Any advice would be gladly received - I have asked my English Solicitors to see if there is anything we can do in St Albans.

does anyone have any ideas?

ok - I have spoken to a nice lady at the National Debt Helplilne who suggested that I appeal myself as there is nothing to lose. So, I have contacted the court who have sent me form N164 - apparantly I need to ask permission to appeal....

question for you legal seagulls - if I lodge an appeal can the claimant still take action or does he have to wait for the appeal?

cheers

I beleive they can still take action.

Can you say who the SO is?

certainly making them aware than you are appealing the ccj due to incompentent judgement should make them put it on hold

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 1 month later...