Delta microwave - Aldi

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Delta combination microwave from Aldi in January 2007. From the start it did not work properly - it worked only on the microwave and not on the combination. I took it back to Aldi, together with the receipt and was told that I would have to ring the manufacturer.

Well, what with one thing and another I didn't get round to ringing and used the microwave on the microwave setting only but very soon it developed a fault - it continued to work even when the door was open and the only way to switch it off was by turning off at the mains.

Eventually there was a loud bang and a hissing and it stopped working altogether.

As this was our only means of cooking (we were having extensive building works and had no kitchen at the time) I had to make alternative arrangements for cooking.

Eventually today I decided that it was taking up too much space in the kitchen and I either needed a new microwave or the space. There is a 3 year manufacturer's warranty with the product. I rang the manufacturer and having described the problem they told me exactly what microwave it was and to take it back to the shop.

Unfortunately, since I took it back to the shop originally I seem to have lost the receipt although I do still have my debit card receipt which shows a total (£64.99 for the microwave and about £10 for groceries).

I went back to Aldi and they said there was nothing they could do without the actual receipt (despite the fact that I took it in when I originally took it back, albeit over a year ago).

Do I have any rights at all without the receipt, bearing in mind that it does seem to be Aldi's own make?

If not, would there be any point going to Health and Safety?

A recipt is the best, but not the only form of proof of purchase. In fact, they could very well be committing an offence by refusing to do anything without it.

Get them to check stock records. Have you got the box? I would report it to Consumer Direct. Stores should not be insisting on a receipt - only proof of purchase in general.

Thanks for that information. Will ring head office first and then check with Consumer Direct. I still have the box and will have the original receipt somewhere but have not been able to find it since I took it back to the shop the week after I bought it.

Well, rang Aldi this morning and related story - was told that I needed a different department so put me through to someone else and related the story again. Was told that the person dealing with this was at lunch and would ring back.

Anyway, she rang back while I was out and spoke to my husband and said that it was a "return to store item" and to take it back to the store. She mentioned that the manufacturer had gone bankrupt.

I was not sure whether she was aware that the problem was that I didn't have the receipt as my husband did not mention it so did not want to take it back to the store again and for them to think that I had tried to hid the fact that I did not have the receipt.

So, spent another hour hanging onto the phone, related the story again and was told that "the department you want finishes at 4.30" so back to square one again - will have to start again in the morning.

In the meantime the replacement microwave I bought from Tesco I am having to throw out as well - only had that a few months but that seems to heat up the receptacles/ glass jugs etc. - they just get very hot. Have had microwaves now for over 24 years and never known it to heat up the receptacles. My first lasted over 22 years and there was nothing wrong with it other than the switch broke - it worked perfectly. Wish I had not thrown that one out now.

• 7 months later...

Just an update - after writing to Aldi's head office they wrote to me and told me to take the oven into the local Aldi store which I did and received a full refund - so happy ending after all.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I have a Delta Microwave ovan model MW9001 for the last three years and never had a problem.

Yesterday I used the convection facility for the first time and it cracked the glass plate supplied

with the ovan. I contacted ALDI this morning as I beleive the Manufacturer has gone bust, having been transferred to England and back again to Ireland and listening to over 5 EURO worth of music

I gave up.

I was just wondering if any of the people who had complaints about this item might have this glass tray or plate still? I would be willing to pay and cover transport.

Yours

Michael Dowling.