Starting Point, Nationwide.....

Hannahmuddiman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone!

What a fantastic site this is - I have never found so much helpful and informative in pne place before.

Here is my situation.... Any feedback/comments/help would be much appreciated...

I am a student coming to the end of my studies in Cardiff. I have a job lined up to start on the 1st August which is pretty exciting. Until the end of August, however, I am pretty tight for money. So time to claim back some charges....?

(That sounds very frivilous - I can assure you that I am not going into this with a blasee attitude)

I have a savings account and a current account with nationwide, a student account and an online saver (empty now!) with lloyds TSB and a student account with Natwest.

I was charged £60 by Nationwide in march (unpaid direct debit for a £15 phone bill while I was out of the country) and as this is the only account that has been very well maintained and is not overdrawn I thought this would be the best way to start. As I also have a savings account with Nationwide would there be and mileage in sending a more friendly letter before progressing onto the standard letters in the library? I feel that as it is a one off charge I might have more of a chance? I remember reading in the forum that someone had done this and been paid back straight away but now, of course, I can't find the post! Any ideas for a letter would be great.

I think I may have to get more tough with Lloyds and Natwest but I think I need to build up the confidence for that - I really don't want to get myself into a situation that I can't get out of for the sake of about £150.

I realise that the amounts I would be claiming back are relatively small compared to some of the amazing battles/success stories in these forums - is it really worth it do you think? I feel like I am being petty to try and get this money back - I did go over the limits/have insufficient funds etc... Is it any easier to claim back smaller amounts do you think or is it still alot of work/risk?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Hannah

It's not petty or frivolous, it's your money taken from you unlawfully. I thought banks were keen to court students because you will be the money earners of the future.

For the Nationwide a/c if the amount is only £60 you could try ringing up. They will often repay one or two charges over the phone with a stern telling off and a comment about no more refunds for the next 12 months. You can ignore all the latter though. If the won't refund it all just tell them you will deal with it in writing if they prefer but assumed they would prefer the cheaper option of refunding them all now!

It's your call as to how you do this but my feeling is to try a phone call first.

Let us know what you do and how you get on.

• Confused 1

Hi i think the best way is a phone call first be friendly but be strong in your convictions.

if then they refuse then take it futher after all they took money from you unlawfully.

good luck

I tried this this morning - was really begging and innocent, but was told to write a letter - so I have!

A six minute phone call to a local phone number and hey presto - I had no idea it could be this easy.

I was friendly on the phone and the lady on the other end responded really kindly. She imediately said that she would fill out a refund form and that I would hear from her head office in writing within the next few days.

Very lucky that this was the only charge on this account I suppose - she said I was 90% certain to get the money refunded.

I have a feeling that Lloyds and Natwest won't be so forthcoming but I think I'll just enjoy this feeling of success for a few days first! Thankyou very very much for giving me the nudge I needed to get the ball rolling.

Well done you. Having just had a letter telling me my account is to be closed, I do still have my doubts about Nationwide so I would recommend that you keep on at them if you don't get written confirmation. Otherwise, it's a good start and you are very right to feel pleased with yourself!