• Tweets

• In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
    • My expectation was their WS would include the best paperwork, like at least true copies of originals, but these just look wrong somehow, perhaps the font and size of font... Not sending me the DN in CCA request but producing it for evidence I would argue could be a tactic used by them... - Page 11 with ticks - there is no reference to IP addresses - Home addresses are correct for dates in documents   Just looking up example Defendant WS's while awaiting your thoughts on this
    • Hello lovely, just posting to check in to see how you are feeling now? Hopefully your feeling better? 
    • Sorry my redactions made it harder dx. Tick dates are 11/12/2014
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Drew v Amex

andyford2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After everyone,

I am looking for a little advice with American Express.

I had held an amex card for a number of years, mainly using it for business expenses and the odd personal purchase. like most people i have missed payments and the like or occasions and if i remember right I was paying a payment protection plan with this card (could be wrong though until i find some old statements).

I lost my job in March 2005, unfairly dismissed i might add. I was unable to continue paying my card debt off. priorities being food and keeping the roof over the kids heads. I contacted amex and informed them of what had happened. All they were concerned about was there money and nothing else. Anyway after many telephone calls they wouldnt help me out and passed the debt over to a collection agency based in Leeds. I have explained that I was taking my old employer to court for unfair dismissal and i would pay the debt off asap, making a payment of £20 per month in the meantime, but still they passed the debt over to collection. obviously causing the usual stress that comes with it. The debt was paid off eventually when my money came through.

since then i have checked my credit report via experian and noticed that it states that it is settled in default or words along those lines.

what i really need to know from someone in the know, and what better place to ask than on here, is;

what can i do about reclaiming any charges the placed on my account over the period i had the account

and, is there anyway i could clear it off my credit report.

I know its a lot to ask

helpppppppppppppp

Andy

Hi andy

You can certainly claim any charges they put on your account for late payments. If the charges were a significant contributer to your having a mark on your credit history, you can request for it to be removed at the same time.

If you haven't got your statements, send AMEX an SAR for them. If you have them, calcualte the charges and any interest levied on the charges and send a prelim letter off.

Everything you need is in the templates librray and there are folks here to help

• Haha 1

Send SAR to

American Express Services Europe Ltd

Data Protection Office

Dept 2007 Amex House

Edward Street

Brighton

East Sussex

BN88 1AH

Your name and address(es) should be enough for them to find your account details (they would manage to send you a bill!)

would it be worth while asking to see my CCA aswell

I also cannot find my account number anywhere, as when we paid the DCA off. we shredded the old correspondance too.

if it turns out, that I never had a valid CCA, what can I do, ie can i force them to remove anything off my credit report or possible seek any kind of compensation.

thanks

Andy

yippee found my account number for amex, at least thats one good thing. noticed they too were taking PPI payments, another one maybe lol.

needs some advice regarding this;

when i lost my job in 2005, i informed Amex about this and they said i couldnt claim on my PPI. I couldnt remember the reason. But the did infact put my account in default and passed it over to a DCA to pursue. This did leave a nasty mark on my credit report.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pursue this and possible getting the defaulted remarks removed from my credit report at experian

they said i couldnt claim on my PPI.
It's funny how no one ever seems to be able to claim on PPI!

Two suggestions:

1) there is a whole forum dedicated to PPI on the main CAG forum page. Look there and see if you can make a claim for the PPI being mis-sold

2) claim back any charges for late payment, etc. If the charges are a substantial proportion of the amount you were defaulted for, then put the demand in all your letters that the default be removed. Don't settle until it is. All the template letters in the library have that option in them.

just got my statements sent through from Amex and they have sent my £10 postal order back.

they say they have supplied them free of charge as a gesture of good will. But have sent me a form to fill in if i want full disclose.

makes me think, what exactly is missing, the statements only go back to 2000, but i thought i had the card well before that.

I'm trying to get EVERYTHING from Amex. So far they've only gone back 6 years but I've insisted on EVERYTHING from 1995; and they said there was no charge, you can have info goodwill. I told them to stick and insisted that they cash my cheque.

• 2 weeks later...

14 days have now passed, so I believe am I to send a LBA to them.

I have also received a copy or my application back, which in fact is a 60second application. the terms are conditions are indeed 2007 lol

there is no signature in the Authorised American Express Signature Box or date. Hold on a min, just had a thought I actaully ask for CCA request and have received a copy of a 60 second application, am I right in thinking this is not my CCA agreement.

what I what to try and do is get them to remove the defaulted entry on my credit reference with experian. help on this would be most welcomed

also when I asked for S.A.R. they only sent then statements and information on it being sent to a DCA , is this right and should they in fact of sent that to me too.

I am starting to think there have been a number of breachs here

As I said a few posts before hand, I'm trying to get more off Amex than they sent. It's like getting blood out of a stone. My patience snapped on Friday and advised Amex that they have 7 days to advise on the whereabouts of the "missing" bits of my my SAR. If nothing is forthcoming then I will apply to the County Court for an order to enforce compliance, together with damages at the discretion of the court and where information is no longer available, I require a statement confirming how any information has been disposed of, removed, destroyed and the method of doing so, by whom, when and where.

What they have sent doesn't comply with CCA - if they have taken more than 12 days they can now be considered to be in default and the account unenforceable. If they let that state of affairs continue for anotehr month they committ an offence.

If you want the default removed (and the default consisted mainly of charges aor was caused by charges) then carry on with your claim but don't agree to anything that doesn't include default removal. Just stick to it, they will give in in the end.

so even though, what they have sent me is only a credit card application. and if i dont have a proper cca in place at the time of default, then they shouldnt have filed the information with a credit reference agency as they didnt have my authorisation to share any information with 3rd parties, is this right or am I wrong

so even though, what they have sent me is only a credit card application. and if i dont have a proper cca in place at the time of default, then they shouldnt have filed the information with a credit reference agency as they didnt have my authorisation to share any information with 3rd parties, is this right or am I wrong

Sadly you are wrong. I have the same issue with Amex. They can and will register your payment details and history with the CRA irrespective of the existence of an enforceable cca, this is their right under the Data Protection Act. There will be some people on here who will disagree but I have had confirmation from Amex, Experian and the Information Commissioner. The only scenario that would allow appeal would be fraud or if you can show that you were not responsible for the transactions that will be shown on your monthly statements. The application you signed would have given them permission to process your data but irrespective of this they have rights to show other prospective creditors of your history of payments.

Frustrating but true.........