• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

uk_joe v NatWest ***WON***

uk_joe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cobbetts have changed scare tactics slightly using a 'window of opportunity' between acknowledgement and allocation for a CPR part 18 request, but now with the added threat of being struck out.

The main thing is to reply and not to ignore the letter and inform the court, which is what you've done.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply and for putting my mind at rest! I'm just glad we've got knowledgable folks like you in our corner :)

My original 2006 claim - Victorious!

13/06/2006 - Sent Data Protection Act Request (NatWest), recorded delivery.

19/06/2006 - Sent preliminary letter, requesting £3483

17/07/2006 - Sent LBA for revised figure of £3601 (after finally managing to open a parachute account with Lloyds TSB!)

07/08/2006 - Filed Moneyclaim for £4401

11/09/2006 - Defence received from Cobbetts

25/09/2006 - Sent AQ to court and CPR18 response to Cobbetts

30/09/2006 - AQ due at court

25/10/2006 - *WON* Cheque for full amount received from Cobbetts

"Things are made of littler things that jiggle"

- Richard Feynman

Thats a useful link, thanks. I've had a brief read and will read more thoroughly when home this evening.

I have noticed that Cobbetts had requested my CPR18 response by 22nd September, however I was ill for the latter half of last week and could not get out to post so they will have received it several days late (Today hopefully) - although better late than never I'm sure. Would it be worth phoning Cobbetts to explain why my response was several days late do you think?

In my letter to the court, I did say that I had previously sent a breakdown of the charges I am claiming to Cobbetts. I'll wait and see how both parties respond now - its out of my hands for now!

17/07/2006 - Sent LBA for revised figure of £3601 (after finally managing to open a parachute account with Lloyds TSB!)

- Richard Feynman

Just so you know, Warwick Court are now 5 and a half weeks behind in Judges looking at AQ's and now mine has finally been looked at they have stayed it for 4 weeks to allow my bank time to settle, even though I did not give my consent to this. I hope for your sake that Nat West are better at settling than Yorkshire Bank.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the update on the courts Caro :) and I hope your case gets resolved soon. Sounds like Yorkshire bank are pretty stubborn :mad:

Ouch, 5 & half weeks behind - they must be real busy! Well the final date for my AQ is this Friday, so hopefully going to have an (below par) offer from Cobbetts next week sometime. Although I'm not too fussed if it does take a while to resolve - I know I'm going to get my money back at some point, be it sooner or later.

I'll post here when I hear back from the court. I guess they'll contact me fairly soon even if just to say that my AQ won't be dealt with for 5 more weeks, or is it advisable to contact them in a couple of weeks if I haven't heard anything?

- Richard Feynman

I heard nothing at all. They just took their own sweet time despite a couple of phone calls.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well, AQ due at the court today. I posted mine off earlier this week as well as a copy to Cobbetts, but I've yet to receive a a copy of their AQ. Are they obliged to send me a copy of their AQ?

Wonder how lenient the court will be if Cobbetts haven't sent their AQ through by the deadline...

- Richard Feynman

Received completed AQ this morning, along with another letter from Cobbetts objecting to my claim that their CPR 18 request was intimidatory. They also kindly remind me that I haven't properly partcularised my claim, even though they have had several copies of the completed charges spreadsheet. I'd be quite happy explaining my claim in great detail to them in front of a judge, but doubt they'll let it get that far.

- Richard Feynman

I'd be quite happy explaining my claim in great detail to them in front of a judge

..and I would be there cheering you on!:p

Nice to see they are following the same pattern! I too have had the "intimidation" letter from Cobbetts!! Those people are being paid a fortune for churning out the same stuff over and over! Makes you wonder why Natwest dont just cough up, their legal fees must be nearly as much as our claims put together! You'd have thought the penny would have dropped by now!

Good luck, I'll be watching your progress closely! I'm at the court in Tamworth, so I assume their timescales are about the same as Warwick - at least we know we will get our money back, its just this waiting game, its driving me CRAZY!!

Hi Gailevans, I agree - their legal costs must be getting close, if not beating, the amount they end up paying out anyway. I can only guess that their tactics are still scaring people away, otherwise they'd stop.

Like yourself, the AQ date for me was the 30th, and I got their AQ today with a letter dated 2nd October. I only wish a Judge would bring them up on this sort of behaviour, but can't see it happening. Ah well, when I get my money back it will be enough satisfaction for me :D

Glad to hear from someone else local too - hope all goes well :) & Keep us posted!

- Richard Feynman

I haven't got as far as a court location yet, but I'm in Nth Warwicks so might be Tamworth aswell.....will let you know ! Hope so, don't want to get stuck in the queue at Warwick !!

M-Stanley, Marbles , Barclaycard,Cap 1, NW CC's x 3, NWest, MBNA , HSBC CC ALL WON

Outstanding

Halifax initial 11/10 acknowledged 19/10 LBA 25/10

LTSB initial 12/10 LBA 26/10

Barclays initial 3/10,response 9/10 LBA 17/10,MCOL 1/11, defence &AQ 10/12

Bof Ireland mort' S.A.R 16/10, initial 23/11, LBA 7/12,MCOL 23/12

NatWest home loans S.A.R sent 23/10,Initial 16/12, LBA 6/1

NatWest business a/c initial 9/11, LBA 25/11, MCOL 9/12, AQ 20/1,cheque recieved 17/2 but had to send it back !!

HSBC c/a AQ returned 17/2

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Well, my AQ was due in 5 days ago, so I was expecting a partial offer from Cobbetts and today one arrived! £2250 is the offer, and my claim is now £4560 (or there-abouts), so I'm sending the standard acceptance as in part letter, informing them that I will be pursuing for the rest.

I've seen it in others letters, but it still beggars belief that they can get away with this paragraph at the end:

Whilst this letter is written without predjudice save as to costs, in the event that you decline this offer, we will draw this letter to the Court's attention on the basis that we hold the firm view that this offer is entirely reasonable in the circumstances. This offer will remain open for 7 days blah blah.

Now thats cheeky! I've a good mind to tell them that I am informing the court of this addition to their letter, but we'll see.

Anyway, looks like I've got them on the run :grin: Will draft a suitable reply in a bit, or borrow one from the templates library, and see what happens next!

Cheers to all for advice and inspiration so far; I certainly wouldn't have got this far without you all :-)

- Richard Feynman

Hi!!

I too have received the standard 50% offer letter! I too have drafted a letter saying I will accept it as PARTIAL payment and will still be recovering the rest (with interest!!) Copy went to my local court too.

Having looked at other threads at this stage, I think we should both be expecting our cheques before the end of the week!!

CANT WAIT!!!

Its been great to have even the partial offer from them - it only proves that they're running scared and has given me loads more confidence.

I sent my partial acceptance off last Friday, and I think (hope!) you're right about recieving a cheque this week. Good luck and hopefully we'll both be posting success stories very soon!

- Richard Feynman

Well, I got home today to find a letter from the court:

Please find enclosed defence and request for further information as filed with the court.

And enclosed was a copy of the original defence and CPR 18 request from Cobbetts.

I have already told them that I consider the request intimidatory, but as a goodwill gesture sent them a copy of my statement of charges, all dated and referenced. I also sent this same info to the court.

Am I under any obligation to respond to this request? Although the cover letter came from the court, it merely states that the documents are enclosed and makes no mention of forcing me to comply. Rather than ignore it, I'm tempted to draft a reply, sending it to both Cobbetts and the court, stating that I would be more than happy to respond to each of the 5 points raised in their CPR 18 request, if requested to by the court.

I wasn't expecting this, especially as they've only just sent me a partial offer!

- Richard Feynman

Quick follow up question re: above. If Cobbetts have filed the CPR 18 request and defence at the court, is there any mileage in me filing a reqest for a breakdown of their bank charges, in order that I can properly detail my response to them?

- Richard Feynman

I really think that it is in your best interest to comply with this. You must do all you can to appear reasonable and to have co-operated in full. Is there an explanation of what exactly is required of you? If you are not clear on anything phone the court. Don't worry how many times you supply the same information, because at the end of the day if they claim not to have it, they simply look inept, especially if you get as far as having to produce a bundle which will include copies of all the letters that you have sent.

I do think though, that it is vital that you point out that it will settle your claim very quickly if they disclose how their costs are calculated. If they can prove that it really cost them the amount of the claim due to your breaches, then you will withdraw your claim, as they will have proved that the charges are lawful, or amend it so that you deduct the actual (in bold) cost to the bank, and just reclaim the balance.

You will look reasonable and put the onus on Nat West to prove the amount it cost them. Somehow I doubt you will need to either amend or withdraw your claim, but you will show what a reasonable fella you are by making this generous offer.

This are just my thoughts, but I hope it helps.

Hi Caro,

Thanks very much for your reply. The request for more information is the infamous CPR 18, which I had previously received at the same time as their defence. I then replied stating that I thought that the claim would be allocated to the small claims court, and as such the CPR18 request was inapplicable in this case. I did still enclose a schedule of charges, and copy the court in on all this correspondence.

I'm thinking of sending the below reply:

I would like to advise you that I am a litigant in person in this matter, and so do not feel that I am adequately qualified to understand or respond to the points you raise in your letter. Consequently, I have decided that I will await the direction of the court, at which I will ask the Judge for guidance on the best way to respond to you.

In the interests of settling this case quickly, I would request that the defendant discloses how costs are calculated with respect to the charges incurred by the claimant. If the defendant is able to prove that the costs incurred to them, due to my breaches of contract, accurately reflect the cost of my claim, then I will withdraw my claim, as they will have proved that the charges are lawful, or amend my claim and deduct the actual cost to the bank, and only claim for the balance.

As before, I anticipate that the claim would be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative, at which point I will be happy to do so.

For clarity, I enclose a schedule of charges and I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name: xxxxxxxx

Account numbers: xxxxxxxx

Sort Code: xx-xx-xx

Amount: £3629

I was considering using the very detailed letter by Joncris here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/32948-cpr-18-requests-costs-2.html?highlight=Part+18#post258262

But don't want to shoot myself in the foot by providing any incorrect information which may later come back and bite me. I am somewhat concerned that seeing as, strictly speaking, the case has not not been allocated (I phoned the court and they said to wait for a letter, but gave no timeframe), I am obligated to respond to the CPR 18 request, and that my above reply may be considered inadequate. In my defence, the request is littered with legal jargon, and is obviously composed for those of a legal bent, not someone like myself!

Any tips or comments on above are appreciated :)

- Richard Feynman

Just wanted to let you know that I received my cheque today! So yours should be very close behind (even waiting for you on the door mat when you get home)!!

Usual things, dont disclose to third party, full and final settlement etc!! Will wait for it to clear before I stop the court proceedings!!

Good luck kidda, keep us posted!!

CONGRATULATIONS

Round of applause for Lynsey and Co.........see sense at last !!

Am moviong your thread as requested well done....now a JD to celebrate !:D

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Well I took my first driving test yesterday (practical) and passed by the skin of my teeth, go me! I had a sneaking suspicion that I would be hearing from Cobbetts on the same day, alas nothing. This morning, however, I receive a cheque for the whole amount :D With my run of luck this week I should get a lottery ticket! (Actually, I know its not luck that got me this far ;-) )

Mods - please move to successes forum :) (Been waiting to say that)

I shall complete questionnaire and donation will fe forthcoming as soon as cheque clears!

- Richard Feynman

I am so pleased for you Joe. Congratulations of getting your money, and on passing your test. Is a car the next step with this windfall in your pocket now.

Thanks for the donation by the way.