• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hotpoint Washing Machine Faulty

miniba
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a new Hotpoint washing machine from an independent retailer in February 2006. The machine has now stopped working, and is showing a fault, the error code is related to the motor.

The 12 month guarantee is up, but I do not think it is acceptable that it should breakdown after only 16 months.

I have phoned the retailer to ask for someone to repair of replace the machine free of charge, and not surprinsingly, they are not prepared to do that. They explained that as it is out of guarantee they will only repair the machine if I pay the callout fee, labour charge and parts.I explained that I wasn't happy with that and followed up my phonecall with a letter sent by recorded delivery explaining my position.

I have had no response by letter or telephone to my letter, and now want to call in Hotpoint to do the repair. I have allowed the retailer 7 days so far to respond and will make another phonecall before going ahead with the repair.

If I get Hotpoint to repair the machine it will cost £90.00, this is their standard callout charge as any parts are covered under Hotpoints own 5 year warranty. I will then attempt to claim that charge from the retailer, through the small claims court if necessary.

I would appreciate any advice about what I am doing.

I have just recieved a letter in response to my letter.

They will not inspect or repair the machine free of charge.

They have suggested I use Hotpoints repair service at a cost of £89.98.

I think that I will now contact Hotpoint, have them repair the machine and then take action to recover the charges from the retailer.

Any advice?

Whilst I agree that 16 months isn't a great span of life washing machines do often have a hard life and I think you may be unsuccessful in any claim, particularly as it's the motor itself that has failed. My washing machine is used maybe twice a week and is still going well at 24 months old but a washing machine used for a family of 2 adults and say 3 kids may be running as much as twice a day.

It's most likely that the brushes on the motor have worn out and these can be gotten for about £5 and anyone with a little mechanical knowledge could replace them easily. I'm not advocating that you do it yourself and it's possible that it could be a bigger problem than that but it's certainly what I'll be doing if my motor fails. :)

Anyway back to the point, I think it will be very hard to argue that the motor hasn't failed prematurely as it depends on what sort of life the machine has had and proving that it hasn't been worked heavily wouldn't be easy and motor brushes (which is what I suspect the problem to be) do have a finite life cycle dependant on how often the washing machine is used.

The machine is used on average 5 times per week, which I don't think is excessive for a washing machine.

If I thought it was only a case of changing the brushes, I would do it myself, as I have with a previous machine, however I believe this model of machine has a brushless induction motor.

Ooh - I use mine twice a week at most (for two people). the only way you can rely on something like this is to show that you needed a machine for such usage (e.g, large family), and requested a suitable one. One was sold to you on that basis which is now not performing. However, I am with Parva on this one. I would follow that advice.

just been reading the posts about washing machines and thought that i would share this with you. some years ago, i knew a chap who was an engineer for electrolux. he said that if a washing machine was used more than four times a week which really is nothing if you have a family, then you need an industrial machine because the normal machines aren't built to be up to it. he also said that they are made with built-in faults - things are are meant to break down in a short period of time. i know that when my five children were all at home, my machine was going non stop every day of the year!!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I can't believe that using a machine 5 times week is unusual. If the machines are not built to last 18 months then I can only think it is not fit for the purpose it has been sold for.

On Hotpoints own website, the machine is described like this:

Ultima

Sleek, stylish and packed with innovation,

Ultima is the premier choice for those

who demand style with substance.

Ultima’s sophisticated features include

Super Silent Wash, interactive LCD and

LED displays and the best ‘AAA’ Wash,

Energy and Spin Performance.

Top of the range for Hotpoint, 16 months?

he also said that they are made with built-in faults - things are are meant to break down in a short period of time.

I have heard this before but cannot decide the truthfulness of it. I personally wouldn't put it past companies to do this, but I think the existence of deliberate in-built faults is yet to be proven in court. If it is true, it is a disgrace and would demonstrate the contempt that manufacturers have for consumers and the law.

I don't think it's built-in faults, it's built-in obsolescence.

In other words, the technology advances coupled to our consumption society means that products are not meant to last, and are therefore not built as solid as they could. Cheap(er) materials, less attention to details, etc... Not quite built-in faults, just not quite good enough for durability.

That aside, I would disagree with you guys that OP should be content that she got 16 months out of her w/machine, especially if it is meant to be top of the range. For most families, a w/machine is quite a big investment, and not one that one should be expect to replace every 18 months or so! I expect OP has paid upward of £250 for the w/machine, no small amount by anybody's standard.

I personally, like OP said in her first post, would send one more letter, advising that unless they carry out the repairs, you'll have no choice but to get Hotpoint to do it, pay for it and pursue them (the retailer, that is) for the costs. Give them 14 days to respond, then do it. That's what I would do, anyway.