• Tweets

• This is a ridiculous situation.  The lender has made so many stupid errors of judgement.  I refuse to bow down and willingly 'pay' for their mistakes.  I really want to put this behind me and move on.  I can't yet. 
    • Peter McCormack says he has secured a 15-year lease on the club's Bedford ground.View the full article
    • ae - i have no funds to appoint lawyers.   My point about most caggers getting lost is simply due to so many layers of legal issues that is bound to confuse.  
    • Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same.   Yes.  But every interested buyer was offering within a range - based on local market sales evidence.  Shelter site says a lender is not allowed to wait for the market to improve. Why serve a dilapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease.   The dilapidations notice was a legal first step.  Freeholders have to give time to leaseholders to remedy.  Lender lawyers advised the property was going to be sold and the new buyer would undertake the work.  Their missive came shortly before contracts were given to buyer.  The buyer lawyer and freehold lawyers were then in contact.  The issue of dilapidations remedy was discussed..  But then lender reneged.  There was a few months where neither I nor freeholders were sure what was going on.  Then suddenly demolition works started.   Before one issues a s146 one has to issue a LBA.  That is eventually what happened. ...legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease   A s146 was served.  It took 3y but the parties came to a settlement.   (They couldn't revert as they had ripped out irreplaceable historical features). The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there.  That's not the case   One can ask for another extension.  In this instance the freeholders eventually agreed with a proviso for the receiver not to serve another. You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension.  Correct.  But receiver lawyer was an idiot.   He made so many errors.  No idea why the receiver instructed him?  He used to work for lender lawyers. I belatedly discovered he was sacked for dishonesty and fined a huge sum by the sra  (though kept his licence).  He eventually joined another firm and the receiver bizarrely chose him to handle the extension.  Again he messed up - which is why the matter still hasn't been properly concluded.   In reality, its quite clear the lender/ receiver were just trying to overwhelm me (as trustee and leaseholder) with work (and costs) due to so many legal  issues.  Also they tried to twist things (as lawyers sometimes do).  They tried to create a situation where the freeholders would get a wasted costs order - the intent was to bankrupt the freeholders so they could grab the fh that way.   That didn't happen.  They are still trying though.  They owe the freeholders legal costs (s60) and are refusing to pay.  They are trying to get the freeholders to refer the matter to the tribunal - simply to incur more costs (the freeholders don't want and cant's afford to incur)  Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to.... The property does not qualify under 67 Act.  Their notice was invalid and voided. B petition was struck out. So this is dealt with then.  That action was dealt with yes.   But they then issued a new claim out of a different random court - which I'm still dealing with alone.  This is where I have issues with my old lawyer. He failed to read important legal docs  (which I kept emailing and asking if he was dealing with) and  also didn't deal with something crucial I pointed out.  This lawyer had the lender in a corner and he did not act. Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been ....  Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at?   I could.  But the evidence is clear cut.  Receiver email to lender and lender lawyer: "our strategy for many months  has been for ceo to get the property".  A lender is not allowed to influence the receivership.   They clearly were.  And the law firm were complicit.  The same firm representing the lender and the ceo in his personal capacity - conflict of interest?   I  also have evidence of the lender trying to pay a buyer to walk.  I was never supposed to know about this.  But I was given copies of messages from the receiver "I need to see you face to face, these things are best not put in writing".  No need to divulge all here.  But in hindsight it's clear the lender/ receiver tried - via 2 meetings - to get rid of this buyer (pay large £s) to clear the path for the ceo.   One thing I need to clarify - if a receiver tells a lender to do - or not to do - something should the lender comply? 
    • Why ask for advice if you think it's too complex for the forum members to understand? You'd be better engaging a lawyer. Make sure he has understood all the implications. Stick with his advice. If it doesn't conform to your preconceived opinion then pause and consider whether maybe he's right.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sue V Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can you not claim the £120 back?

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I got it back today with the rest of my settlement.

It wasnt there to cover the dd's and cheques during the week though.

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

sorry...misunderstood what you were saying...it's late on a friday....never a good combination.

you'd think they'd let you have these charges back....especially now they know you're serious about court proceedings etc

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

CONGRATULATIONS

Don't forget to complete the SURVEY please..!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Congrats - Im surprised how quick they paid out actaully! :) Good for you

Barclays - Success. Total £3000.

Barclaycard - Success. £2500

Barclays Brother - Success £500ish

Vodafone - Default removal + claim for distress. Settled default removed = £1000 in compensation + £120 court costs paid. :D

-------------------------------------------------

Barclays using fowl play - Here

Here we go AGAIN!

The charges that were applied to my account last week have been debited, despite me emailing Halifax and practically daring them to!

I have just emailed again!

Talking of emails.............I sent moneyclaim one last week to say that Halifax had settled, is that enough, or do I need to put it in writing?

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

I won! :D

Sent Data Protection Act Letter 06/06/2007

26/07/2006 Received 33 envelopes containing statements. (33 letters for a fiver .... bargain lol)

:o

27/07/2006 Sent Prelim Letter via email to halifax

10/08/2006 Received Halifax letter offering me £178.00 (goodwill gesture):rolleyes:

11/08/2006 Sent LBA letter out excepting goodwill gesture but not as final settlement. Persuing the rest in court.

01/09/2006 Taken the claim to County Court.

05/06/2006 Claim sent back by the courts... I hadn't put the court address in the top right hand corner :x Took it back to the court 06/09/2006 won't get issued until tomorrow ........... if I'm in luck!

08/09/2006 Received 2nd offer of £524.00. 09/09/2006 claim is served :D .

13/09/2006 I WON, I WON, I WON. Full monies paid back.

GO GIRL!!!!

WELL DONE

AND CONGRATULATIONS!

I miss the thrill of it all already! lol

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Dollies01

Similar thing happened to me. Got all my charges back then got more. £78 up until now. I rang the people who delt with my claim and she said "no we will not refund it, our terms and conditions still apply and you refuse to accept them so go straight to court.............." I took her name and sent a LBA as I did not want to fall foul of the law. I did not go through with it (to my shame) as I thought it was not enough yet to bother. If I incurr more I will. But I still do recommend a LBA first.

Anyway Congratulations to all who have won XXXX

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Well I emailed three different people in customer relations at the beginning of last week, and asked nicely that they refund the latest batch of charges, and I've heard nothing.

I have pondered all weekend what to do about it, and have come to a decision to send a preliminary letter and start all over again. After all the charges are still unlawful and the worse they can do to me is close my account, but I would fight that course of action all the way aswell, after all they are acting unlawfully, not me.

Here we go again............

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

• 3 weeks later...

In reply to my preliminary letter, I recieved a letter from Halifax :

Thankyou for your recent letter and email.

As you are aware your complaint was settled in full and final settlement of your claim against the Halifax and that any future charges would stand. As a result we will not refund any further charges you have incurred on your account.

I am sorry I cannot be of any further assistance to you.

blah blah, leaflet complaints, blah blah.

your sincerely

Phil Giaramita

mm.....I didnt sign any conditions with my settlement, so Lba is going today.

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

I am sooo pleased for you! I have just decided to reject my offer (£900 on £1800 of charges) and it is threads like this that make me keep going!! WELL DONE!!!

Just a thing I have read on previous threads. It seems that if you claim more than once, the Bank is very likely to close your account. Sorry to appear negative when your thread was so happy, but I noted getting another account may be an issue for you, so just wanted to alert you to it.

Congratulations again!! xoxox

Springer :p

Hiya Springer,

I realise they might threaten to close my account, but I have powers of persuasion, and it would be a bad public relations move to do this to me, as I haven't been to the local papers with my story..........YET!

My argument on the latest lot of charges, is that they were incurred whilst my claim was in the court stage, I have had none since, and don't plan on having anymore either.

At the end of the day, if I lose the debit card, and cheque book (with no guarantee card) then so be it, who wants to bank with anyone that steals and cheats anyway?!

lol

good luck with your claim

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Hi Guys

I have been reading about your problems re statements, I received mine within 3 days of the £5 Charge being taken from my account, I have also asked for them in the past and they have all come within a week I am wondering if they are actually ordering them for you at all, another way of stalling. I must say I have now figured out the amount I am claiming back and it is very little compared to most people on this forum but it would be nice to see it before Christmas.

I have heard that the Halifax are the hardest bank to receive these claims from, my sister has an account with HSBC she received her monies back within 4 weeks of sending her prelim letter.

If only they were all that good!!

Anyway good luck one and all.

robinson-clan

• 2 weeks later...

Yayyyyyy!!!

Halifax have agreed to return my £195 to my account, they originally refused, but I wrote again, saying that they had added charges whilst the account was in dispute and I believed it was inappropiate (wasn't sure of my facts at this point!)

Since my refund, I have become much more organised with my account, I don't envisage getting anymore charges, so the forms they want me to sign for FULL AND FINAL payment, aren't a problem. There is no threat of them closing my account either..........at the moment anyway.

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

• 3 months later...

Congratulations!!!

I am now waiting for my court date - so it mean that I will have my money back soon too, doesn't it? wink.gif

If I helped you click on my scales (on the bottom on right hand site). Thanks

July 2006 - DPA sent - never got reply

September 2006 - First letter sent, got offer for half of charges, Thanks but no thanks reply with LBA sent in October 2006

January 2007 - filed Small Claim on-line

after some mix-ups on 14 February 2007 Small Claim pack served to Halifax

they have 6 weeks (Claim from NI take longer) until 28 March 2007 to respond

See my thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/71700-kecimot-against-halifax-learn.html

Direct contact for Halifax

Matthew Ingham

Team Leader - Regulated Sales

Customer Relations - Halifax

HBOS Plc

CB/2/CR/26527

Direct Dial: 01422 326 527

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone!

I'm new to this site - joined up today. I read about you on the MSE website and thought I'd see what you're about.

I'd really like someone to 'hold my hand' as I 've just sent off the first letter to the Halifax requesting repayment of my charges over the last 6 yrs. I sat downa ndw orked out that over the last 12 months ALONE they had almost £3,000 (YES!!!!) off me...talk about daylight robbery. And during all this time my husband and I have had several talks to the bank and asked them to help us get back on track as we could not cope with the constant round of charges each month. Of course our requests for help (as responsible customers) fell on deaf ears and we have been spiralling further in to debt. I really hate the bank for what they have done to us and I'm so so angry that they think they can charge what they like - and we don't even get letters posted to us any more - they are all online!!

Anyway I was feeling brave until I posted the letter and now I'm not sure what they will do. We already have a new bank account up and running so they can't threaten us with closing our account.

I guess we just wait and see now.

Debbie.

12th March 2007 - sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and £10 to Halifax.

3rd May 2007 - LBA sent to Halifax.

15th May 2007 - £2,500 offered over phone (full amount asked for is £5,300) - OFFER DECLINED.

17th May 2007 - Filed claim via MCOL.

18th May 2007 - Claim request issued.

Notice of Issue received from Court - 22/5/07.

Claim deemed to have been served as of 23/5/07.

Notice of Acknowledgement received from Court - 31/5/07.

Halifax now have until 20th June to file defence or whatever......

Hi Debbie,

don't worry to much. Just sit and read a lot from this site. You can learn a lot!!!!

Do everything as is described in stickers - if you want read my thread as well http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/71700-kecimot-against-halifax-learn.html

and you can find few points to hold on.

I wish you luck and

go on - get them :D

that you have other account ready is wise, mine was closed after few months (don't worry about this months - in my thread you'll learn why it took so long for me - I made few mistakes - but hey interest was groving anyway :p)

If I helped you click on my scales (on the bottom on right hand site). Thanks

July 2006 - DPA sent - never got reply

September 2006 - First letter sent, got offer for half of charges, Thanks but no thanks reply with LBA sent in October 2006

January 2007 - filed Small Claim on-line

after some mix-ups on 14 February 2007 Small Claim pack served to Halifax

they have 6 weeks (Claim from NI take longer) until 28 March 2007 to respond

See my thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/71700-kecimot-against-halifax-learn.html

Direct contact for Halifax

Matthew Ingham

Team Leader - Regulated Sales

Customer Relations - Halifax

HBOS Plc

CB/2/CR/26527

Direct Dial: 01422 326 527

[email protected]

I think you misunderstand the charges structure: the 2 lots of £39 would have been for either passing or bouncing your cheques and d/d (either way you get charged) and on top you now get the unuathorised monthly charge. It's not an either/or situation, it's ALL of it! And it's timed so that the £28 charge, unless you're very very vigilant, will automatically put you in the red again onto the next month, which in turn,... if they bang the charge on 31th of may, it takes you into june, there goes another month "overdrawn" , ok? but THAT charge will not go on until the end of JULY, whereas the May charge will go at the end of June. At that point, you may well think you have paid your charge, but you forget they'll still charge for the june "overdraft" and so with a bit of luck, they'll be able ot take you o/d again at the end of July when they take their charge... which will then generate.... I'll stop now...

PS: There is no way for them to "stop it" as you fear. Unless they find a time machine, It would take an act of Parliament to revoke the law, and that would take a lot more than 40 days.

Now buck up, stay angry, it helps focus. Re-read my little explanation above, it usually helps staying really realy p!ssed-off at them.

Been there, suffered the same - I'm going to have them back for all that suffering!!

Hello, This is my first post on this forum! Excuse me if this question has been asked previously.

Last year (In May) my wife and I made a claim against the halifax of £2800, We managed to get £1300 back off them at that time. If we knew then what we know now, we would of held out for the rest!

However since last May we have attracted a further £1200 of charges, Not clever I know, but my wife is disabled and unable to work and our Son is at University (these facts of course do not interest the Halifax). Our question is simple ... Are we entitled to go back and claim this £1200 of unfair charges? I have written to our local (Crewe) branch manager, asking this question and would you beleive, 3 weeks later i receive a standard computerised letter from Newcastle on Tyne! advising that we can only claim once! ... Is this correct? I hope that there is someone out there who can help.

Regards Andy