• Tweets

• Write to the IPC complaining that UKPC have not observed the requirements of PoFA . IPC  Waterside House, Macclesfield SK10 9NR Dear IPC, I am writing to complain about a serious breach of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 by UKPCM. I feel that as it is more a breach of the Act rather than not just  complying with your Code of Practice which is why I am bypassing your operator. Should you decide to insist that I first complain to your operator, I will instead pass over my complaint to the ICO and the DVLA . My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA. You will be aware that this is not the first time that UKPC have fallen foul of the DVLA and presumably yourselves. I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPC to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I would think that should be sufficient for the IPC to cancel your PCN though  you should await comments from the Site team before sending your complaint. Don't forget to include both PCNs.  
    • Hi DX, Sorry, fell asleep as I was up all night last night writing that statement. Yes, I attached the rest of the witness statement on post 50, bottom of webpage 2. That's the important part.  It looks like the lawyer who wrote Erudio's Witness statement does not work for them any more. So, I'll have another lawyer representing instead. Not sure if I can use Andy's hearsay argument verbally if that happens.... I did not put it in writing. Apart from not sending deferral forms, my main argument is that in 2014 Erudio fixed some arrears mistake that SLC made and then in 2018 they did the same mistake, sent me confusing letters. What is the legal defence when they send you confusing material?
    • Chinese firm MineOne Partners has been ordered to sell land it owns near a US nuclear missile site.View the full article
    • That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

fed up of brum v LLOYDS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All.

this is my first posting. I have been reading around the site for a few days now, and i have to say i am really encouraged by the messages i have read.

Lloyds have charged me thousands of pounds of the past few years, most of the charges as a direct result of their actions.

In the last 3 months they have taken over £250 pounds from me. This week, as they have on many other occasions, they took £65 in charges from my account. This has taken me past my overdraft limit, and will incurr an excess overdraft charge. It will probably result in another couple of transactions not being completed as well, incurring further penalties and the whole snowball effect starts over again.

Well enough is enough, time to fight back!!!

I will be sending off DPA letter as per the template. let battle commence!!

fingers crossed

PS do i use the same template letter for store cards/credit cards??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a seperate template for store / credit cards for the prelim letter but i would use the standard DPA template with some minor alterations to get your charge info first. before sending the credit card prelim letter.

there is a seperate template for store / credit cards for the prelim letter but i would use the standard DPA template with some minor alterations to get your charge info first. before sending the credit card prelim letter.

Hi adamski, thanks for the info. Sending letter to lloyds today, recorded delivery. Also sending one to GE capital bank as well

posted DPA letter to lloyds last friday. Lets see how long it takes for the statements to come back.

Had another letter on Saturday telling me they will be taking £125 in charges from me next month!!

Will be going to set up a parachute account on wedensday just in case. Any suggestions anyone? will they be likely to ask why i am setting up an account with another bank?

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the grass grow while waiting for repsonse from lloyds!! I have had no acknowledgement of them receiving my Data Protection Act letter yet. I have checked the post office web site and the DPA letter delivered on the 12th June.

In the meantime i decided to keep myslef busy by checking the online statements that go back three years start adding up the charges. So far i have only gone back 12 months and the charges already add up to nearly £600 pounds!!!

Surprising how much it adds up, aint it :)

As for your earlier question (sorry noone got back to you!), the Natwest Step account is a fairly safe bet. If you apply online they ask for no credit reference details, although they'll ask for proof of address/income - likely a recent paycheck or similar.

Hope it helps :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Reload,

thanks for the reply. I have just completed the online application for the ntawest step account.

I received my information back from LLoyds today. It included a summary of charges on the account going back 3 year, and copies of statements for the 3 years prior to that. They have also include a set of customer contact notes and a key to explain the abbreviations and letter codes (I seem to recall reading a thread where somebody was asking for details on what these mean)

So i will spend the next few days going over this information and see if i can make sense of it

keep you posted.

I have finished looking through the charges and totalling them up. £3686, i was gobsmacked!

I knew it was would be high but never guessed it would be quite that high.

I tried to make sense of the customer notes using the list of abbreviations that lloyds included. As it turns out the list was far from comprehensive..many of the abbreviations being used were not on the list..more smoke and mirrors!!

From what i could see, as we all know, most of the letters are automatically generated, in fact some of the older notes actually state this. About 20 items on the list have names against them and a code number. As the same code numbers appear against different names i guess this could be a branch or terminal code. Where names do appear it does not state this was manual intervention.

It was also not that easy to cross reference the notes to the charges as multiple charges can occur from one letter as we all know, and there is often a gap of several weeks from the letters before charges are taken.

So i decided not to bother with that excercise. Simply claim back all of the charges and put the onus on llyods to prove there is any manual intervention.. and if they can then they would have to justify the cost associated to this. Is this the correct approach to take?

Assuming it is, and assuming i have followed the FAQ's etc properly, i will know send of the prelim approach for repayment.

I received and application pack for the step one account, so hopefully i will have a parachute account sent up soon.

Oh..one more question. I sent my DPA letter to Penny Berryman at the Chiswell street address in London. Where do i send my prelim approach for repayment? local branch or main Birmingham branch? Sorry if its a dumb question..

I believe this is the address you should use, someone correct me if i am wrong but this is where i am sending my prelim letter

Regards

adamski

Mandy Horton,

Assistant Manager

Customer Care,

Lloyds TSB,

125 Colmore Row,

Birmingham

B3 3SF

Preliminary approach for repayment of £3650.77 (£3202 charges and £448.77 in overdraft interest) sent recorded delivery 10/07/06 toMandy Horton, Colmore row, Birmingham. was i right to include overdrfat interest, (most of it was caused by lloyds taking charges anyway!)?

So, lets sit back and wait for the reply....we know what that will be though. LOL!!

As long as you were careful in calculating the overdraft interest, it should be fine :)

As mentioned in various other threads though, it could cause issues if calculated incorrectly - the only o/d interest you can claim is the interest specifically on the penalty charges, o/d interest on purchases/cashpoint withdrawls etc is, unfortunately, perfectly valid.

• Confused 1

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi reload,

couldn't be absolutely sure of that. It's not always that easy to see which are valid and invalid interest charges. Most of the penalty charges incurred on my account were in the last 4 of the 6 years that i have the statements for. I have basically included all of the major interest charges in that 4 year period.

I have seen lots of discussion re-interest charges and whether or not to include them, but as i saw some threads claiming back o/draft interest i did the same. I hope i haven't screwed things up!

The prelim approach letter has already been sent, should i just wait for a reply, and then remove any claims for interest in the LBA?? Or should i just leave them in and see what happens??

Advice would be much appreciated.

Myself, I'd remove the overdraft interest for certainty of the claim amount, just on the off-chance they spot an inconsistency and leap on it like a pack of hungry dogs. A simple amendment in the LBA along the lines of "I have re-calculated the amount you had deducted in unlawful charges, and the revised figure is £xxxx.xx" should do the trick.

However, the other mods/site helpers may well say differently, and many people have had settlement offers including the o/d interest they've claimed for - at the end of the day, it's down to the individual.

Did you have an authorised overdraft on the account? If so, it could complicate matters a bit more - as if not, it's almost guaranteed the interest is on penalties alone.

It is possible to calculate the o/d interest using a spreadsheet Vampiress prepared - in the Bank Templates Library - it calculates the figures proportionally. For example, £100 o/d balance, £10 o/d interest - £70 of that £100 is penalties, therefore you can claim £7 o/d interest back.

Hope that makes sense, and helps. As it is quite a large amount of o/d interest you may well want to take a look at claiming it back, but brew yourself a cuppa and be prepared for a long sit down :D

Hi Reload,

i have a gold account which comes with a standard £100 overdraft which is interest free. there was a period of time where i had an authorised overdraft above this amount (put ther by teh bank by the way, not at my request) the higher level overdraft is not free but charged at a reduced interest rate in comparison to the standard rate. I did change it back to the standard level a few years ago.

So, on reflection, taking your points on board, i think i have reviewed the interest only for the period of time where the overdraft went back to the standard £100 (at my request) which is free. Any interest in this period would definately be a result of charges levelled as the only time i ever exceed this is when the take charges which either put you overdrawn or past your agreed limit, or both!!! you know the scenario... They have done that to me 3 times in the last few months. Last week they took £125 pounds which took me from being in credit to exceeeding my overdraft..causing 2 DD's to be returned...incurring more charges etc etc.AAAARGHH...sorry off on a rant!!

Back to the point, if i just take into account the interest for the period of standard interest free overdraft that goes with the figure reduces to £161.32. If it simplifies the claim process i think i will probably ignore that and just go for the charges initially.

I will add in the wording as you suggest in my LBA letter and include the latest charges they have advised (£160!!!!)

Thanks for the advice.

ps step one account now open.

Received letter of acknowledgement of prelim approach letter from a Simon Rogers. Seems to be the standard response letter from reading other threads.

"sorry to hear you are unhappy with us......one of our assistant managers will investigate...will take a couple of weeks....will respond fully at that stage...etc"

received response today from lloyds following my preliminary approach for repayment of charges. Seems to be the same as or similar to those i have red in other threads.

here is the response.

Dear mr xxxx

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I am sorry you are unhappy over your account charges.

Like any business, we do make a charge for some of our extra services. When a customer doesn’t have enough in their account to cover a payment, this always means additional work. We must either make the payment for you via an overdraft or send the payment back. Either way this needs to happen speedily. We feel it’s only fair to charge for the extra work involved

Of course it is only fair, too, that we’re completely open about any charged-for –services before you take them up. That’s why we take care to provide every new customer with the latest guide to our charges. You can also get up to date details of our fees and borrowing rates at all of our branches, via our helpline and on our website.

Just as importantly, we do everything we can to help our customers avoid charges altogether

I’m sure you know how easy it is to keep a running check on how much is in your account. You’re free to get an up to date balance at any of our cash machines, over the phone, online and even nowadays on your mobile.

If you know a payment is going to take you over the limit, you’re welcome to see if we can raise your limit- we can usually give you an answer straight away. You might know, too , that we only charge fees if it’s the first day in 12 months that you gone overdrawn without agreeing it with us beforehand. And we never charge for an overdraft excess fee more than 3 times in any month, however many times you go over your limit.

You’ve mentioned the new guidelines from the Office Of Fair Trading on credit card default charges. We don’t agree with the OFT’s thinking on this and we’re still talking it through with them. But the important thing is that the guidelines only concern default charges. The fees we charge for going over an overdraft limit and for returned payments are not any kind of default penalty. They are fixed standard prices for the service we provide in these situations. So according to our legal experts, the OFT’s guidelines on credit card default charges do not in any way apply.

I do hope you can see that we make our charging system as fair as possible- and why I cannot agree to cancel your charges.

If you’re still unhappy please do not hesitate to tell me what more you would like me to do. If we cannot agree a solution at that point , I can help refer you to the Financial Ombudsmen Service for independent review.

So long as you feel I’ve dealt satisfactorily with the points you raised with us , there’s no need for you to reply. If I have not heard back from you by 12th September 2006 I will take it that matters are resolved between us – though of course I will be happy to hear from you should you come back at any point afterwards

Mandy Horton

Assistant Manager

So, its all our fault for not staying in credit and causing them all this extra work. Denying the fact that they are penalty charges, and as they insist these are not penalty charges but charges for services. Some service!! take money off you in charges which in turn send you over you limit and incurr more charges.

I feel the need to add some comments to the LBA. will post it up for opinions/advice before i send it.

Its just a normal fob off letter .Just go to the next step , LBA.They know as well as we do their service charge argument will not stand up in court.

• Confused 1

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Hi Janet,

i've taken your advice and done just that. Sent LBA today recorded delivery.Revised my claim removing the claim on overdraft interest as i couldn't be 100% sure which charges were legitimate and which were not. Claim amount now £3386.71,

• 2 weeks later...

Received letter from lloyds over the weekend. the standard response stating the bank will not be changing its position etc, will not be refunding charges. So, on to next step now through the courts. Will read the FAQ's again before i do this to make sure i get it right.

I have a query but its not strictly to do with this thread on my lloyds charges..but i dont seem to be able to start a new post for what i want to know!!

i have received information back from GE money,(river island store card) and i am looking to claim back £246 pounds in charges. The only template letter i can find for store/credit cards appears to be the LBA template. So do i send the standard prelim approach letter as for the bank charges?

why dont i seem to be able to start a new post?, am i looking in the wrong place...can anyone put me right please......

managed to sort out problems with starting new threads. will start a new one for ge money in the right forum.

so, back to lloyds. so now i need to take out the court action. From the FAQ's i see i have two routes, money claim or filling out the n1 forms etc. Which is the best route or are they pretty much the same. If i go money claim, is the interest calculation within the money claim online forms or do i need to complete the spreadsheet in the templates library?