• Tweets

• It seems the solicitor has got your case listed for this “appeal” but not for the Stat Dec(SD). You need to ensure you can perform your SD on the day. If you are able to make your SD in court, the situation you are in now is more straightforward than if you made your SD via a solicitor. You have been convicted of two offences (and two were dropped) via proceedings of which you were not aware. The way to remedy that is to perform an SD. No appeal is necessary (nor is it available via the magistrates’ court). If you are able to make your SD this is how I see it panning out: You will make your SD to the court. The court must allow you to make it as it will have been made within 21 days of you discovering your convictions. You will then be asked to enter pleas to the four charges again. At this point you should plead not guilty to all four but make the court aware that you will plead guilty to the speeding charges on the condition that the FtP charges are dropped. The prosecutor will be asked whether or not this is agreed. In my opinion the overwhelming likelihood is that it will be. If it is you will be sentenced for the two speeding offences under the normal guidelines. In the unlikely event it is not accepted,  the speeding charges will be withdrawn (they have no evidence you were driving). You have no viable defence to the FtP charges and so should plead guilty. This will mean 12 points and a “totting up” ban (as you have already suffered). You can present an “Exceptional Hardship” argument to try to avoid this (explained below).   Because of this, I don’t see any need to make an argument to ask to have any ban suspended (pending an appeal to the Crown Court) unless and until you are banned again. The only reason I can think the solicitor suggested this is to secure a (Magistrates')  court date. I was surprised when you said you had an appointment so quickly; a date for an SD usually takes longer than that. However, if you can use it to your advantage, all well and good. I can’t comment on the argument that the two speeding offences were committed “on the same occasion” as I don’t have the details. That phrase is not defined anywhere and is a matter for the court to decide. It’s an interesting thought (and only that) that such an argument could equally be made for the two FtP offences. If the requests for driver’s details arrived at your old address at the same time, with the same deadline for reply, it could be argued that you failed to respond to hem both “on the same occasion” (i.e when the 28 days to respond expired) and so should only receive penalty points for one. Hopefully you won’t need to go there. I think you have information about avoiding a “totting up” ban. But here’s the magistrates’ latest guidance on "Exceptional Hardship" (EH) which they refer to: When considering whether there are grounds to reduce or avoid a totting up disqualification the court should have regard to the following: It is for the offender to prove to the civil standard of proof that such grounds exist. Other than very exceptionally, this will require evidence from the offender, and where such evidence is given, it must be sworn. Where it is asserted that hardship would be caused, the court must be satisfied that it is not merely inconvenience, or hardship, but exceptional hardship for which the court must have evidence; Almost every disqualification entails hardship for the person disqualified and their immediate family. This is part of the deterrent objective of the provisions combined with the preventative effect of the order not to drive. If a motorist continues to offend after becoming aware of the risk to their licence of further penalty points, the court can take this circumstance into account. Courts should be cautious before accepting assertions of exceptional hardship without evidence that alternatives (including alternative means of transport) for avoiding exceptional hardship are not viable; Loss of employment will be an inevitable consequence of a driving ban for many people. Evidence that loss of employment would follow from disqualification is not in itself sufficient to demonstrate exceptional hardship; whether or not it does will depend on the circumstances of the offender and the consequences of that loss of employment on the offender and/or others. I must say, I still do not understand what the solicitor means by “As a safeguard we have lodged the appeal and applied to suspend your ban pending appeal due to the time limit for being able to automatically appeal without getting leave of the Judge.” When they speak of “leave of the judge” I assume they mean they have lodged an appeal with the Crown Court. I don’t know what for or why they would do this. It seems to follow on from their explanation of the “totting up” ban. If so, I’m surprised that the Crown Court has accepted an appeal against something that has not yet happened. But as I said, i is no clear to me. Only you can decide whether to employ your solicitor to represent you in court. If it was me I would not because there is nothing he can say that you cannot say yourself. However, I am fairly knowledgeable of the process and confident I can deal with it. That said, I do have a feeling that the solicitor is somewhat “over egging the pudding” by introducing such things as appeals to the Crown Court which, in all honesty, you can deal with if they are required. I can only say that the process you will attempt to employ is by no means unusual and all court users will be familiar with it. I can also say that I have only ever heard of one instance where it was refused. In summary, it is my view that it is very unlikely that your offer to do the deal will be refused. If it is accepted, you may be able to persuade he court that the two speeding offences occurred "on the same occasion" and so should only receive one lot of points. Let me know the details (timings, places, etc) and I'll give you my opinion. Just in case your offer is refused, you should have your EH argument ready. Whether it's worth paying what will amount to many hundreds of pounds to pay someone to see this through is your call.  Let me know if I can help further.    
    • This must be part of the new tactic from Evri.  They know they are going to lose. They take it to the wire and then don't bother to turn up in order to save themselves costs and of course they don't give a damn about the cost to the British taxpayer and the extra court delays they cause. This is a nasty dishonest company – but rather in line with all of the parcel delivery industry which knows that their insurance requirements are unlawful. They know that their prohibited items are for the most part unfair terms. They know for the most part that a "safe place" is exactly what it means – are not left on somebody's doorstep in full view. They know that obtaining a signature means that they have to show the signature not simply claim that they received a signature. They are making huge profits especially from their unlawful and unenforceable insurance requirement. Although this is less valuable than the PPI scandal, in terms of the number of people who are affected nationwide, PPI pales into insignificance. I hope the paralegals working for Evri are proud of themselves and they tell their families what they have done during the day when they go home.
    • Your PCN does not comply with the Protection of freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9[2][a] (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; The only time on the PCN is 17.14. That is only  a time for there to be a period there would have to be a start and and end time mentioned. of course they do show the ANPR arrival and departures  times but that is not the parking period and their times are on the photographs not on the PCN. They also failed to comply with S.9[2][f] as they omitted to say that they could only pursue the keeper if they complied with the Act. That means that they can only pursue the driver as the keeper cannot be held liable for the charge. As they do not know who was driving and Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person they will struggle to win. Especially as so many people are able to legally drive your car and you haven't appealed giving them no indication therefore of who was driving. Small nitpicking point-the date of Infringement was 22/04/2024. They appear to be saying that they can charge an extra amount [up to £70 ] if they have to use a debt collector. You do not have a contract with a debt collector so they cannot add that cost. You paid for four hours so it can only be the 15 minutes they are complaining about. You are entitled to a ten minute minimum grace period at the end of the parking period which would be easier to explain if the car park had been bigger. However if you allow for two minutes to park and two minutes to leave that gives you one minute to account for. Things like being held on the way out by cars in front waiting to get on to Northgate or even your own car being held up trying to get on to Northgate at a busy time. then other considerations like having to stop to allow pedestrians to walk in front of you or being held up by another car doing a u turn in front of your car. you would have to check with the driver and see if they could account for an extra one minute things like a disabled passenger or having to strap in a child . I am not advocating lying since that could lead to serious problems [like jail time] but there can be an awful lot of minor things that can cause a hold up of a minute even the engine not starting straight away or another car being badly parked as examples. Sadly you cannot include the 5 minute Consideration period as both IPC and BPA fail to comply with the convention that you can include that time with the Grace period.  
    • Defence struck out not case struck out...you have judgment  Well done topic title updated Regard's Please consider making a donation if not already to support us to help others.   Andy.   .
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Abbey must think I was born yesterday!

mooboo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

mooboo vbmenu_register("postmenu_782495", true);

Basic Account Customer

reputation_pos.gif

Hi

So, following my previuos thread below whe I first received my 4 weeks fob off letter, I since sent in my LBA. At exactly 4 weeks after the initial fob off letter I receive another one that reads like this;

"As you know, we are currently invetsigatinbg your complaint that you raised with Abbey four weeks ago. I am sorry for the delay you are experiencing and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continual patience.

Our research is taking longer than expected becuase we want to make sure a full investigation is done. If we are unable to complete our investigation beforehand, we will write to you again in four weeks time to let you know how we are getting on.

I am sorry that it is taking longer than originally thought and would like to reassure you that your complaint is important to us"

:mad:

Signed Richard Harris Head of Complaints

:mad:

Now - what Bull, I emailed this to him...

Dear Mr Harris,

I am writing in response to your letter dated 18th May 2007 explaining the delays to investigating my complaint. Firstly I wish to point out that my case is not a complaint and I am simply claiming back unfair penalty charges applied to my account.

With respect Sir, you must think that I was born yesterday. Your letter is nothing more than a delay tactic employed by the Abbey to retain the funds longer and discourage those who are not fully committed to seeing through process to the courts to quit.

I am very committed to this course of action and will indeed see this through. Your letter states that it is taking longer than expected to investigate, and could take up to another 4 weeks or longer. I find it difficult to believe that it takes this long to investigate the charges when it took me two hours to look through my statement, highlight the charges, enter them onto a spreadsheet and write my initial letter. It seems that your department’s excuses are as over inflated as your bank charges.

So far I have been very patient, I was indeed hopeful of resolving this with speed when my statements were sent to me quickly and without complaint, however my patience is running thin and I wish to have this matter resolved within the next 7 days. I require repayment in full of this money by cheque made payable to **************. If you do not comply fully by the 1st June 2007 then I shall begin a claim against you in the county court for the full amount plus interest (from the date filed in court, not from my initial claim to you) plus my costs (time for preparation of the court bundle, lost working hours) plus court fees. This of course will add more money to my claim and I will not accept anything other than a settlement in full once I begin the court process. I would be willing to come to a settlement agreement with you within the next 7 days.

I calculate that you have taken £3,290.50, plus £613.56 interest at the statutory rate under the s.69 County Courts Act, total £3,904.06. This amount is likely to escalate to over £4,200 once court costs are added as well as further interest.

I look forward to your response,

I was having a bit of a rant really as this last fob off letter really annoyed me.

I will file at court next week if I haven't heard anything further, which I fully expect not too. I sit worth me continually contacting them or should I just stop now and file?

Thanks in advance

4 weeks fob off letter thread:

I sent in my Prelim letter to the Abbey on Thurs 19th April and they replied pretty much immediatley stating that they are very sorry about my complaint and that they are making one member of the team responsible for investigating my claim and this could take 4 weeks. As i asked for a response to my letter within 14days can I do anything at the end of this week, or do I just need to wait for them to get their act together and send me the outcome of the investigation? I really want to get this moving. Also can I expect a go away letter in 4 weeks - has anybody else had this letter? I've being looking through other threads but cant find anything similar.

Thats a new one-making a member of staff responsible for your claim!!!

If every bank did this then they could solve the UK's unemplyment problem overnight.

You need to wait until your 14 days are up and then proceed to the next step-ignore rthe 4 weeks

Thanks PPMAN159

Should I acknowlege their first letter when I send the LBA or just ignore it?

Personally I would ignore it and carry on to the next stage in the process.

MooBoo

Abbey National: Successfully received statements and microfishe copies of statements with no trouble and within time limit.

Abbey National: £3904.06 Claim begun, 1st claim letter sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha!

I think my email rant could have had an impact. I received a letter as follows....

" Thank you for your letter dated 23rd February 2007 and subsequent correspondence about the charges to you bank account. I have now carried out a full investigagtion on your behalf.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the charges and I understand you would like these refunded. Although the charges were correct, as a gesture of goodwill, I am happy to refund £348. You account will be updated within the next 10 working days.

I appreciate your feelings on this matter but we are satisfied that the charges do not contravene the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999. We also comply with the office of fair trading, in dealing fairly and openly with our customers.

When opening your account you were provided with information detailing the terms and conditions. We also sent you regular updates and tarriff of charges, which details the amounts of our charges. I have enclosed a further copy for you."

The rest is just blah.

It is remarkable that the amount they are paying into the account is the amount of the current outstanding overdraft. As soon as the moeny is in there I will close the account.

I have also drafted a letter of rejection to them thanking them for the offer and accepting it as a first installment and reminding them of the further costs to be incurred by themselves should I take them to court and win and giving them until 15th June to make a further offer.

lets see what happens, quite excited now as I am taking the "gesture of goodwill" as a sign of submission and the scabbgy shall be beaten!

MooBoo

Abbey National: Successfully received statements and microfishe copies of statements with no trouble and within time limit.

Just one point MooBoo-in your original post you have mentioned your own name.

Suggest you go back in and edit the post, just to be on the safe side.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

I have recieved identical letters to ones above. Even the £348 figure is the same! I have thanked them for the first instalment. I have already initiated court proceedings which they were aware of when paying me this money.

Just one point MooBoo-in your original post you have mentioned your own name.

Suggest you go back in and edit the post, just to be on the safe side.

Cant believe I did that! Thanks, had top read the whole post several times before I noticed it.

MooBoo

I have recieved identical letters to ones above. Even the £348 figure is the same! I have thanked them for the first instalment. I have already initiated court proceedings which they were aware of when paying me this money.

How odd that it is the same amount, I thought mine was that becuase of the overdraft amount but maybe it is just a coincidence. PLease let me know what their next offer is and we can work out their game plan!

MooBoo

Hi

I am sending out my rejection letter of their offer and would like to send them a list of cases won against them in the county court, is there such a list available for download on the forum?

Thanks

MooBoo

I sent my letter refusing to accept the £348 and I get a letter back by return of post that says they are very sorry that I am still not happy and that they will investigate further and let me know within 4 WEEKS! Ridiculous, they're just stalling. I will send back another letter saying that's again ridiculous and then start court proceedings. I have warned them that it will cost them more in the long run, but they obviousley dont care!

MooBoo