• Tweets

• Hi, I have found this group very helpful hence I am here seeking help and advice.   I got myself into a situation where I have now more than £50k in unsecured debts (personal loans & credit cards) and things are now getting out of control as I am struggling to make payments. This is purely my own created situation and I am taking 100% responsibility for it. I am keen to get out of this situation as soon as possible hence I would appreciate any help and advice in this process. I am employed at the moment and don’t want to risk going into IVA or bankruptcy as this would risk losing my job. Being sole bread earner of my family, I cannot afford to lose my job. I have been trying to keep up with the payments so far and had few missed payments instances until 3/4 months ago but got caught up with missed payments somehow using my savings. All my debts are still with original lenders. However I know I am getting into same situation again shortly and won’t be able to get out of it again. I have started exploring Debt Management Plan (DMP) option through StepChange but haven’t submitted it yet. Based on budgeting, I have around £820 available to make payments to all lenders after taking care of all other essential expenses. This is definitely lot more affordable than what I am currently paying to different lenders. 1. Is DMP right option for me in current situation? 2. what are the negative consequences of availing DMP? 3. is there something else that I can do to get out of this situation? I’m determined to clear out all my debts but need bit of breathing space and time. Let me know please if you need any additional information. Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance. MM  
    • Bookmakers use betting on political events to entice new customers, and say it is growing.View the full article
    • nope  and  neither dx
    • Ok Thank you DX will do just that . will keep you up dated.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cygnet/approved finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

New to forum and I would greatly appreciate your opinions/advice ......my ex partner and myself got a car off Approved car finance/cygnet at the apr rate of 72.3% which at no point prior to purchase were we made aware of .......Anyways I contacted them via letter in November My disabled son was having an eye op and was finding it difficult to pay so could it be refinanced or something ....They completely ignored this letter .....In January my partner and I seperated and it was decided that I have the car ( may I point out at this point I dont actually drive )Im also a single mum of seven one child is disabled .. I asked that the axa cover (£1600) be stopped as I dont want or need it on the contract it says i can do this at any point ...this still hasnt happened first requested in nov 06 .....

It is regarding my conversation with a representative from cygnet today that has distressed me the most......a week ago I was phoned to tell me that my payments were now £120 down from £188 and the first payment had to be there the end of the month which I agreed to and said I would try to pay it in two instalments on the 22nd and 29th and was told this is fine as long as its there for the end of the month.........Result !!! Or so I thought , today I recieved a notice of seizure .....I have little knowledge of the ammounts paid to date or ammount owing so shall be phoning tomorrow to request a statement of account including charges etc ....So upon recieving this notice of seizure I phoned them up .....I was put through to my accounts manager , she said that it was just to protect themselves incase I didnt pay ,which i accepted and asked if it would be inforced if I paid she said if we dont get payment by the 29th it would ....so I said ok I will pay the 29 th she said it has to be in BY then and it wouldnt clear ....so I asked if it was worth me paying .....to be met by a volley of abuse some of her little gems were " I dont believe you ll pay " " cygnet finance dont see the end of the month being the 29 th " " I believe you ve sold it " after i informed her actually she could view the car she said ok i ll come and look !!!! I informed her that she could check I havent sold it by contacting DVLA ......and at that point she said "no wonder your husband left you " .........then she said the manager will be contacting me and she d be reporting the car stolen ???

Anyway a few family members were visiting and like myself they were disgusted ( I popped the phone on speaker phone so they could hear how pleasent she wasnt )

My question is 1 )What can I do to either stop payments or carry on at reduced payments ...I cant afford to pay before the 29th ....

2) What can be done about the way I was spoken to......also Ive sent a e mail (letters disappear with cygnet ) at least i can prove i sent it etc

I detailed the issues and informed that I would be seeking legal advice

3) the car is parked in my dads garage ( safer as its not being used ) do I have do disclose its whereabouts before I get legal advice

4).....also I wanted to cancell axa cover december how can i get this ammount removed from my account

5)Does anyone know if they record phone calls and if so how do I go about getting a copy ...I do have witnesses who heard the conversation but obviously a recorded conversation would be better

...........the thing is Im prepared to pay for a car I may never use as I signed the contract and having only recently seperated from a 6 year relationship and suffering depression ,due to this ,this womans comments were perticually hurtful :mad:

Any ideas on how to get these people to at least acknowledge reciept of e mails / mail .......sent several e mails / one of complaint and one asking asking for all details of account movements conversations etc ......as of yet ive not even received an aknowledgement .....they re being a nightmare at present

Hi Lesley, send them a CCA request, asking for copy of your agreement. Enclose a pound postal order.

http://www.passprotect.studio400 .me.uk/Consumer_Credit_Act_1974. PDF

The whole act is here. They have 12 days in which to respond, if they fail to respond after a further 30 days they will have committed a criminal offence. The debt is unenforceable until they produce the original agreement.

See this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/83035-guidelines-requests-original-agreement.html

Hope this helps and good luck.

HI,

Cygnet have yet to respond to my CCA they said someone will be collecting the car tomorrow unless payment is made ... I ve told them i need written proof of arrangements as the person on the phone said it d be takien regardless .......i also said whilst a CCA was out standing the debt is un enfocable ...the women said she didnt know what im talking about and that Im wrong ....can someone let me know if I am or if in fact she is....also they are threatening me with police action if I dont disclose the cars whereabouts saying they will say the car is stolen ......can they do this ????????Thanks again Lesley

If she did not know what you were talking about, how on earth could she stae you are wrong. If uou have had the car more than 1/3 of the contract period they need an order to remove it.

Thanks again for responce I have had the car over a third of the contracted time ........so I shall hold tight and not just hand it over ...am I right to assume I will be notified of ant court action plus be able to put forth my argument ? thanks

THE DEBT IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO A REPO. they need an order from court to do this. Do not let them imtimidate you mate. halves and thirds are what it's known in the trad, 1/3 to repo, half to hand it back. Do not respond to them by phone again, Only in writing m8. You have to be notified of any action against you. If they go down that route, cag will advise in our multitudes, my mrs feels left out lol.

Ok thanks again ......And thanks to your partner too.......and hopefully I wont need any help tomorrow ......Ive got kids too (7 in fact) and seeing them grow up is an amazing experiance ......Enjoy the days when they re young (my eldest is a moody 13 yr old) .......thanks again mate .....

I ve sent several letters and e mails to approved ..yet to receive anything back also wating for DCA /CCA still nothing .....Im just querying a contract I have myself and my partner have signed it and it is dated 4/7/07 date of cygnets signature 12/7/07.......does this in any way affect the contract? the witness signature is just that has got a space for name and discription but not filled in.....Also upon reading it there was nothing paid for the car we took in as a deposit , plus no cash back which we were told we had ......all went towards the deposit (didnt though) a relative was present when this was all discussed so could sign a sworn statement if need be ........any new advice would be greatly appreciated ........

i got a letter today saying that cygnet were to agree to take reduced payments and that i have to sign and send one back saying I ,my name , agree to the modification of my account, to the conditions details and also to rescind the content of my two letters dated 25 th may 2007...........so is this them trying to attempt to sweeten me up to stop defeat?????they also offered to remove the accrued letter charges ......generous eh?

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

had a result with these guys thought i d share .......told the comliance officer/supervisor on the phone wasnt happy at how i was treated ....i also wanted all details of conversations ,tapes , computer notes etc as i was certain i d cancelled my ppi insurances within the stated 10 days ....he said there was no record of it , i explained that as that was the case as I d paid over a third I would consult my solicitor further and it would probably go to court ....No more than 24 hours later got a call saying as a "good will gesture " they would take off the total ammount of insurances paid to date reduce my monthly payments so they didnt include the insurance charges and my account was in credit ......shows sometimes it is worth perservering

• 1 year later...

Hi lesley omg so u had the same treatment as me then ? rude staff threating behavour and list goes on ..... i got a car on finace with them well about yr and half ago now ive always been on top of my payments but 2nd day i had the car i had a oil leak i rang them they said what do you want us to do about it i said fix it of course ive only had it 2 days they sed sort it yourself so i said tell u what ill sort it and send the bill to you and u can refund me i never seen the money , so i got bit weary by this so got my brother who is a machanic to check the car out it said thats what u call a shed on wheels the engine itself i said what do you mean he sed u have a oil leak bad one all ur tappets need sorting out and they carnt been ajusted cus thats the ones on there the suspension is bad needed 2 front springs 2 strud top bushed for front a arm linaage on the back was badly needed replacing the list goes on i was fumming i told em the conned me the car is in a bad condion an needs sorting out they sed its ur problem u sort it the min it left us its my problem but i sed it was right when it left in the first place so i sed ok fine but untill its sorted out they wont see another penny they threated me with the police that they would reposses it i sed yes u can have it if u can find it they sed then that id stolen there car an started to add on charges £25 letters every 2nd day i sed it no good the way it is anyway because no way am i putting my kids in it then 4 months later the engine blew would you belive that ive never had a car so bad in my life constant repairs i told them id scap it cus of the engine going on it an it wasnt worth repairing the way it was so they sed yes u can but u will still pay us and i did scap it and yes im still paying for something i havent got its a joke i had a ford mondeo before that hyundi and now id never go for fiance again they didnt even let u pick ur car its a joke if a 2 door 1.3 hyundi is a large family car compared to a ford mondeo zetec 1.8 they they really dont no nothing its all a big joke my mondeo was mot failture and i wish now igot it done but they really think people r stupid or something they wanted me to drive from flintshire area to manchester with no mot they sed to me no it will be ok and no tax... as id taking car off road because of failture they sed if u get stopped just say ur bringing it to us i spoke to my brother he sed dont no how they could ask u to do that but i didnt do that anyway im not getting points or a fine for no one its all so mad u get a choice of 2 cars to pick from which was weird ur not allowed to look at the cars they pick them for you 1 was a chinky chento an remembering this would be for a family of 4 kids 1 driver lol and the other was hyundi never know anything like it there just a joke so now i have to pay for annother 3 yrs yet i did it for 3yrs and for some unknown reason its 4yrs now its madness ive asked them for an update on my account an suprise suprize im still waiting anyone got any advise thxs

also i tell you all to check ur fiance, ive checked mine several sites an with dvla the sites you pay for and for some unknown reason its not coming up as been on fiance thats 4 sites ive paid for ans all the same no fiance weird cynet dont no what i no but why isnt it coming up as been on fiance if im paying for fiance very strange my brothers car is on fiance and his is coming up fine but mine isnt and its always been like that since day 1 any advise why this is happening ????