Kitesurfer v Nationwide

KiteSurfer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Only joined the forum yesterday, and had already sent my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter on 11-04 with info from watchdog.

Today I disovered I had made an unfortunate oversight.. I forgot to sign the letter - DOH :evil:

I got a reply from nationwide with multiple options for reasons they have not been able to comply with my request (no doubt i will find out all about this when i read this forum in mo).

The selected one was 'You have not signed the request' which means I have failed to supply them with sufficient authority.

I read through the rest, and discovered that I have also made the cheque payable to 'Nationwide' rather than 'Nationwide Corporate Account' followed by my name.

So I suspect that if I had just signed and returned the letter I would have received my cheque back in around another 40 days with more apologies for not being able to assist me due to my own incompetence - nice.

As it happens, what i will now do is check this forum before completing my new letter (which will now request ALL statements held for my flexaccount as well as ALL statements for my now closed credit card), cancelling the original cheque, and supplying a new cheque for £10 to cover both accounts, made payable as they require. :)

I have had my flex account for 18 years and got really hammered in the early days, I have noticed successes in claiming for as much as 13 years in the forums so will be taking my time to see how far back I can go.

Typically I think I binned a bag of statements a couple of years ago.. but still have some left. Anyone know how long they hold records for? I will check around, im sure the info is here, its really cool to have the support and info on hand.

I cant wait to join in with getting back what they have taken.. I just need to take more care :oops:

Thx MilkTrayMan,

I have just had a look at that thread and will keep an eye on it

I do have a query - on the letter they sent me it indicates they are expecting the cheque to be made out to 'Nationwide Corporate Account' followed by my name.

Does this matter?,

will/can they reject a cheque just made out to 'nationwide building society'?

Hi KiteSurfer!

...I do have a query - on the letter they sent me it indicates they are expecting the cheque to be made out to 'Nationwide Corporate Account' followed by my name.

Does this matter?,

will/can they reject a cheque just made out to 'nationwide building society'?

The subject of WHO to make your P.O./Cheque payable to, when sending off your S.A.R. to Nationwide, was discussed several months ago in the following Thread...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/57493-morris-owner-nationwide.html?highlight=morris+minor

FWIW...

I personally made my P.O. out to "Nationwide Building Society" and received my S.A.R. within the 40 days time limit, without the need for me to further send off another P.O., even though they had initially sent me a similar letter to yours re: Corporate Account etc etc.

Other Claimants have made their P.O./Cheque payable to "Nationwide Corporate Account - Claimants Name" and still received their S.A.R.

So, it's up to U really?!

Hi Kitesurfer,

I avoided all confusion with cheques/P.O. by taking the letter and £10 in cash to my branch where they politely wrote out a receipt and siad they would send it to head office, I received my statements well within the 40 days allowed. Now at Court Stage having only received one reply after the initial request for payment so waiting to see what their next move is. Good luck with your claim.

Regards

McWills

Nice move..

I made the chq out to the corprate plus my name and will see how it goes..

sending recorded delivery tomorrow for ALL my statements and credit card.

Good luck with yours too - have you got a thread I can watch

Hi KiteSurfer!

...for ALL my statements and credit card.
If U have followed the Site's advice and sent the S.A.R. Template Letter, U are asking for "a complete list of transactions and charges", this is NOT the same as specifically asking for just Copy Statements.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

There has been occassions where a complete "list" is all that a Claimant has received from various Banks.

Obviously this "list" MAY be supplied by sending U Copy Statements, but in my case, for my Personal Loan details, Nationwide sent me computer gobblygook transaction printouts that took quite a bit of deciphering.

Proof of delivery 21/05

Exciting isn't it?...lol...:)

Try to use the time that U are waiting for your statements etc productively.

Read, re-read and then read some more, all of the various Threads on this site, including those in other Bank's Forums, so that U get a general gist of the WHOLE Re-claiming procedure.

A good place to start is with all the 'Stickies' that have been posted, then U can progress by going through the 'Successful Claims' etc

Nationwide have 40 days to comply with your S.A.R.

LOL - i'm all fired up but know they will wait out the full 40 :wink:

I have directed quite a few mates to the site, but get the impression they will only take an interest once i've been paid out..

I looked around for some old NW statements and found about 1 years worth - in one month i had over £230 in charges!! :eek: and that was after they had refunded me £50 worth... I had forgotten just how bad it was!!

:mad: GRRRR....

Still it just makes me feel even better to be working at getting it back..

:lol:

This site makes it so much easier, being able to see where other people are, and all the support is top!

I've been looking around quite a bit, trying to find out about claims for more than 6 years. Also want to get my head round the whole going to court bit, so I am prepared.. like u say - i'll have plenty o time

I also have just sent my preliminary letter to natwest, so at least I will have something else to do in 14 days on that one..

Cheeky gits....

rather than signing and resending my original letter, I used the preliminary letter from above, and sent them a new cheque (just to be sure they could not complain about the payee)

I only resent the preliminary letter on the 21st and just phoned Natwest to cancel the original £10 chq to nationwide....

Only to find Nationwide have already cashed it on the 04/05.. 14 days BEFORE they returned my request!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally received some statements (only 6 years worth).

Done my sums, and from the statements received, my charges account for almost the whole of my overdraft (if I include the interest paid on those charges the total accounts for more than my OD).

I am not happy about them forcibly reducing my overdraft, especially as I now know that is is entirely due to unlawful charges, I feel that it is unjust, and that they are only doing this because I am making a claim.