• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

jwright -v- Nationwide | SETTLED 18/07/06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have sent my Moneyclaim to Nationwide today. I started the process on the 27.04.06. I have followed all the advice on the forum, read everything that has been posted. I have had the correspondence from Nationwide that everyone else has. I have gone through the doubts and fears that have been posted. I have taken heart, courage and resolve from those of you who are in this too. But most af all I have done everthing that the CAG Team have recommended. And I am on my way. . .

It's not much - £80 in penalty charges on a residual £8.99 left over from a credit tranfer that I overlooked.

Outrageous.

For me its the principle as much as the money.

I have taken on G.E.Money and the Co-op and will post on the appropriate forums as the story unfolds.

What an incredible site this is.

Thank you to you all.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

Data Protection Act CO-OP

28.04 Response CO-OP

24.05 Data Protection Act GE MONEY

31.05 Response GE MONEY

03.06 Moneyclaim NATIONWIDE

23.06. Letter from Charles Bacon - partial settlement.

26.06 J Wright to Charles Bacon: thanks - but no thanks

04.07. Default Notice served

06.07 Allocation Questionaire

07.07 28 days up for above

NATIONWIDE SETTLED IN FULL 18.07.06

WELCOME and good luck , yes please keep us posted on your progress.It may only be £80 but it's YOUR £80 taken unlawfully.So quite right to claim it back.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

I do have a question.

I have had the computer generated "We notice that that the payment requested on your recent statement has not been received. . . "

It would seem the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Do I send them a letter telling them that I am taking them to court?

Or do I just ignore it?

Also if they go and charge me another £20 late payment charge while the claim is being filed and its not included am I liable for it? Or do I file another claim for that!

I will - if I need to. . .(I've got the bit between my teeth now.)

(btw - should this be a new thread?)

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

If they charge you anymore before you file your claim in court then you just add it to your claim.I would personally phone them ( recording the call ) and tell them you want the charge refunded pointing out that you are already in the process of starting a claim against them and will be quite happy to add that one on to.

No please do not start a new thread all your updates / questions should be kept to the one thread.Only start a new thread if you start a different claim against someone else.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Thanks for the advice mjanet.

What would you suggest is the easiest way to record the phone call? - can't remember having seen any advice on the forum but maybe I missed it.

I'll keep posting here then. I am more nervous about doing the wrong thing on the forum than I am taking the banks to court!

jwright

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

• 2 weeks later...

Update on how its going for me with Nationwide.

The Acknowledgment of Service arrived today in the post. Charles Bacon has ticked the 'I intend to defend this claim' box. Had a bit of a wobble over this. Not a serious one tho'. My guess is they are getting so many claims for unfair charges now that they are digging in in the hope that the faint-hearted may fade or cough-up.

I also called and recorded as you suggested, mjanet (I know a musician with a recording studio. He offered to help me.) Got a very polite young girl who gaily said yes, she could see I was in dispute and that I was not to take any notice of these computer generated letters. That was last Thursday.

Yesterday, Monday, I get a phone call from a stern young man telling me I owed late payment charges and he was here to collect my payment for them, now.

I pointed out that I was taking Nationwide to court for unfair charges. I was not going to pay another penny and if any more charges came my way I would add those to the claim. I told him he would find all this information on his computer screen. There was a pause, and then a hurried mumbling during which I caught the words 'oh yes. . . I see it now. Well thank you Mrs Wright. . .' and he rang off.

So, that's where I am.

The 28 days are up 7 July.

I will let you know what Nationwide do next.

All I must do is just sit tight, isnt it?

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

My latest news is that I received a computer generated letter today from a Stefanie Kershaw informing me that 'due to the continuing arrears of my Credit Card Account we are left with no further option but to suspend your account facilities'. (They've slapped yet another £20 penalty on and want me to the new full amount of £60)

Could anyone advise me here? I dont want to let the card go - I may like to use it for international internet purchases when this has all been sorted.

At the end of the letter they add this: 'If a mutually acceptable agreement is not reached, the Society reserves the right to record information about your account with one or more Licensed Credit Reference Agencies. This may make it difficult for you to obtain credit in the future.'

This sounds like a faint shade of blackmail and demanding money with menaces to me.

How can they be allowed to get away with this disgraceful behaviour?

Do I write something to someone - like the OFT or my MP, or do I ignore it and just wait for 7 July when their 28 days is up?

Some feedback from anyone with a bit more experience than me would be great.

What would you do?

From my time on the forum I dont see many Credit Card actions going on - but maybe I am missing them.

Also could someone tell me how I do that quote thing in a nice box that highlights part of another post?

Thanks.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

I received this this morning, 23 June, with Charles Bacon's signature (in blue biro - not photocopied)

WITHOUT PREJUDICE (that means it can't be used in court doesn't it?)

Dear Ms Wright

Re: Northampton County Court

Claim No. 6QZ35670

I refer to the claim you have commenced in Northampton County Court.

I note you are claiming a refund of the default fees amounting in total to £80 together with £30 costs.

Nationwide beleives that the fee of £20 represents a fair contribution to the additional cost we incur through customers not adhering to their credit card agreement. The fee is clearly displayed in all relevant materials, including on the reverse of statements. Notwithstnding this, Nationwide will be adopting the OFT approved credit card default fee threshold of £12 with effect from 28 June.

As a gesture of goodwill, Nationwide is prepared to refund the £8 difference for each for each default fee that you incurred, plus the court fee, making a total of £62. I look forward to recieving your confirmation that this offer is acceptable so that the refund can be actioned.

Finally, may I suggest that you set up a direct debit to your credit card account to ensure payments are settled on time in future, and thus avoid any further default fees.

Yours sincerely

signiture

Charles Bacon

Solicitor

Very polite - no mention of defaulting me. Fair enough - but. . .

I have been researching all the info I have gathered from this site, the forum and the library, and I will accept this as an interim payment but will continue to claim for the balance - which now stands at an additional £68. . .!

Keep you posted. . .

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Here is my reply:

Charles Bacon

Legal Compliance

Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide House

Pipers Way

Swindon

SN38 1FN

re: Northampton County Court

Claim No. 6QZ35670

Charles Bacon

Thank you for your offer of £62 as part settlement of the claim.

Your offer is not satisfactory, although I am prepared to accept this sum, unconditionally, in part settlement of my FULL claim £110.

I shall continue with my action to recover the remainder of my claim.

Since entering my claim you have entered another penalty of £20 against my account - bringing the total to £140. Please be aware that I will make another claim for this and any further penalties the Nationwide

see fit to add to my account while this matter is being dealt with.

This being the case, I trust that you will wish to settle asap.

I'll let you know when he does!

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

The Latest

Nationwide have sent me a final demand for payment on my credit card.

I want to take out an injunction against them to stop them closing my account but I am not sure if I am too late.

Is everything I need somewhere on the forum? I found a post of Bankfodders saying that there was going to be a section in the FAQ's about this but I cant see it.

I thought I would email the Lending Control Unsecured Debt Recovery - the heading at the top of the letter (which looks computer generated to me)

I am not in a position to record any phone calls.

Has anyone done an injunction for account closure yet? (I am having trouble with my search facility in Safari at the moment)- if so, some advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jwright

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

OK - I'm a bit fired up.

Here is the email I have draughted.

I'd appreciate any feedback before I send it.

Thanks

I have received a final demand on the above account.

As you are aware I am in litigation with the Nationwide for unlawful charges and expect a settlement on this card either out of court before the 7 July or in court thereafter.

Since the debt on this card has been caused by these unlawful charges I shall be writing to the OFT and my Member of Parliament.

I am also considering taking out an injunction against the Nationwide for unfair closure of an account that has up until these unfair charges been conducted impeccably.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

I have taken advice from Bankfodder.

Since a credit card is not deemed essential like a bank account he was uneasy about taking out an injunction.

However, he recommended writing to the OFT and to retaliate should Nationwide see fit to make it difficult for me to obtain credit in the future.

Everything that I need for this is in the Library. :)

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

My latest news is that I received the Allocation Questionaire N149 today. My claim has been moved to Gloucester, my nearest court.

I found the template in the library, have followed it, filled in the questionaire and the it's waiting to go in the post tomorrow.

Things seem to be going as predicted by the team here.

I'll keep you all posted.

My trust that my next post here will be a settlement by Nationwide :-)

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

My latest news is that I received the Allocation Questionaire N149 today. My claim has been moved to Gloucester, my nearest court.

I found the template in the library, have followed it, filled in the questionaire and it's waiting to go in the post tomorrow.

Things seem to be going as predicted by the team here.

I'll keep you all posted.

I trust that my next post here will be a settlement by Nationwide :-)

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Yes - and all for £80!

Perhaps they think I'm going to give in for such a small amount.

Or they hope that these tactics may deter others who are only claiming for small amounts.

I've got nothing to lose. I'll go right on, with the support of this site, until I've got it back.

Then I shall move on to the Co-op and GE Money!

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

OK - They have now defaulted me.

As they hadn't defaulted me at the time of my Letter Before Action I didn't include the passage about defaulting in my claim.

What should I do now?

Who do I contact? Charles Bacon? The Lending Control section who sent me the Default Notice?

Help - please!

I have a letter to OFT to go and an email draughted to Lending Control - Unsecured Debt Recovery.

Just need to be sure before sending it that I have covered everything.

Or - please point me in the right direction on the forum for advice on this.

This is a credit card, remember. . . am doing advanced searches but nothing relevant is coming up.

Thanks.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Here's what to do if you get defaulted after litigation has begun - as I have.

Thank you cillitbanger :)

(Served 04.07 with 14 days to make a payment into my account.

I have chosen not to make a payment).

Go to the very first letter in the template library: S10 data protection one - and fire it off.

I've sent copies to both Charles Bacon and Stephanie Kershaw (the computer generated default notice signature). Recorded delivery.

Wait to see what happens next.

btw I keep getting calls from the Nationwide: just kids doing their job - but they all wish me luck! Some of them seem to know whats going on.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

YES!!!

ITS DONE!

Letter from the lovely Charlie arrived just now:

He says:

'Although Nationwide considers that it has a valid defence to your claim, it is uneconomic to defend it any further. Consequently the full amount of your claim and the court fee of £30, making a total of £110, has been credited to your account.

Please confirm that you will advise the court that your claim has now been settled.'

So-o-o, go to it people! Its all coming back to you. Hang in there. Dont lose heart. Mine was £80 pounds. I sense they made me wait in the hope that I would give up as it was such a small amount.

If any of you need any encouragement just pm me. I will give you every support.

Thank you to Bankfodder, Cillitbanger et Al for your support.

jwright

money on its way to CAG.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm claiming £2353 (plus around £500 in interest), which I can understand is going to give Nationwide a bit of a problem. But I can't believe they took so long to give you back £110! Go you for being so persistent.

ladymoonray

Nationwide: £2443. Settled in full

Co-operative Bank Visa: £351. Settled in full.

MBNA Visa: £476. Settled in full.

AA Account with Capital Bank: £80. Settled in full.

Capital One Visa: £160. Settled in full.

Paragon Personal Finance: £120 fees SETTLED ERC claim withdrawn Feb 07.

Kensington Mortgages: Claim withdrawn Feb 07.

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm claiming £2353 (plus around £500 in interest), which I can understand is going to give Nationwide a bit of a problem. But I can't believe they took so long to give you back £110! Go you for being so persistent.

ladymoonray

Thank you ladymoonray. I admit there were times when I was frightened. These banks have created such a powerful hold on us all psychically - but I never doubted all the good advice from this forum and I had nothing to lose. I am also blessed with a great deal of patience.

I am now going to take on the Co-Op for considerably more. My loins are girded with the success of this claim!

Anyone who is struggling with their own doubts and fears is welcome to pm me for personal support and encouragement.

More power to all of you!!

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Just thought that I'd add this.

Before contacting the court to inform them of settlement make certain that the bank have honoured their side of the claim.

When I contacted Nationwide yesterday to make sure they were playing the game it would appear that the default has gone through to Experian. Also, although they had credited my credit card with the £42, I could not get at it because they have closed the account!

I told them firmly that I was not prepared to inform the court of settlement until I have written confirmation from them that my good name has been restored and I am in receipt of my money.

Following a flurry of phonecalls I was told that I would receive a cheque in the post for the amount owed and a letter confirming cancellation of the default.

I will not get in touch with the court until these are in my possession! I told them this.

As has been said many times on this forum - dot all the 'i's' and cross all the 't's' before you inform the court that your claim is settled.

All the best to you all.

I'm off to the Co-Op to to reclaim more money.:)

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Hello Everybody

Nationwide seem to have renegued on their agreement to remove my default notice.

Yesterday I recieved this letter from C.B.

Re Notice persuant to Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998

We are in receipt of your Notice dated 7 June 2006 but received on 11 July 2006

We are unable to comply with your request to stop processing your personal data as we beleive that this is unjustified on the following grounds:

The processing is necessary for the performance of your contract with us

You have given us consent to process your information in this manner

OK - where do I go from here, please?

I have consulted the FAQ's and found a section there. From it I have put this letter together to send.

Is it enough?

" Charles Bacon

I have received your letter dated 21 July regarding the above notice.

( 7.06.06 should have read 07.07.06 - the recorded delivery will have verified this)

I am also in receipt of your letter dated 17 July asking me to confirm that I will notify the court that my claim has been settled.

Since it was entirely due to your unfair penalties that put me in default I refuse to settle and I will proceed to court unless this default entry is removed.

If I am proved right in court, I will take the view that your default notice is defamatory and is a breach of your duty of trust.

I trust that you will concede to my request.

When I get an assurance in writing from you that the default notice has been removed then, and only then, will I inform the court as you have asked. Until then I am proceeding with my claim. "

Please advise!

What's the matter with these people?!! :mad:

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY

Sounds good to me...See what they say!

Might want to get some mods to look at it though.

Thanks, Tobes.

I'll have a look to see who is on today.

27.04 Prelim NATIONWIDE

28.04 Response CO-OP

31.05 Response GE MONEY