• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming beyond 6 yrs - important new information!!!

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had 12 years of statements supplied by Barclays and have done prelim and LBA, both deadlines are up. However due to the POC I am putting forward which has been created with the help of others here and over the road, I am sending a final LBA just to be safe.

Then when I have the money to file I will be hitting them for 1996-1999 with CI.

Bankfodder, I would be interested in the case law you have refered to that Zootscoot has. Could you pm me some links or post them here.

Thanks, and this is not before time.

Tanz

• Haha 1

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one relating to concealment occuring after the cause of action is Sheldon v RHM Outhwaite (Underwriting Agencies) Ltd [1996] AC 102.

Thanks Zootscoot

I'n not sure if it is available on the web.

That looks like it is from reading the first couple of paragraphs, thanks livelylad.

Most useful

Tanz

Forgot to say that the only statement we kept was the one with a nil balance! But then probably shredded it after a couple of years.

I did that with my Barclaycard when that was paid off, shredded the others foolishly, and kept the nil balance one. lol

Had to send SAR to Barclaycard for copies.

Which bank was the access credit card with?

Tanz

Barclays were happy to give me 12 years of statements but other banks inc Credit Cards are a bit tougher nuts to crack however when the momentum of these claims start to pick up I think it will be easier for us to force the hand with non-compliance LBA's and poss a court order, once a few of those have gone though with a few complaints to the relevant regulatory bodies they will realise they cant hide behind that arguement, same as the microfiche bullsh@T.

Tanz

Cave vs Robinson April 2002

Lord Millet said

FWIW I have already claimed back from 1997 against abbey and ther specifically stated they would not defend the charges pre six years old.

Cant say it will always be the same though.

Glenn

Do you have a link for this case Glenn??

Hello everyone,,,,,,,I can't stop reading this......brilliant!

I just called Natwest customer services and they told me they wouldn't be able to trace anything without my old (closed account) account number, which I haven't got.........that can't be right, can it? So how would I get that then if they can't give it to me.......it was approx 10 years ago so would that be a problem?

Can anybody advise me please? I'm determined to get back what they took from me, was a fortune in charges and they really showed me no mercy whatsoever,,,,,would be so good if I could claim them charges back,,,

Go into your local branch and request it there. I did this for HSBC account and they were able to give me account number sort code and crdit card and loan info

HTH

Tanz

A question?

If we are claiming back charges beyond 10 years we are talking about charges pre-dating the unfair terms in consumer contracts act 1999, what law are we relying on prior to 1999?

IAN

The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/statutes-library/33-unfair-contracts-terms-act.html

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

The Limitations Act 1980 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/statutes-library/415-limitation-act-1980-a.html

HTH

Tanz

hi anyone i have just found some old statements dating back to 1992 with thousands of pounds of charges if i try to claim back componded interest at 15% it will put me over £5000 what do I do ?

help please

Have you read up on CI yet?

If not I would seriously put some time into doing this, as it is a complicated issue. Added to pre 6 year claims you will need to be fully understanding of the arguements first before taking it on.

If you have already then send a prelim off but claim the CI from the outset ie prelim stage.

Tanz

so if you have kept your statements going back over 6 years you can't claim those fees > 6 years back? but if I requested those statements and recieved them tomorrow I could? are you sure? That's not how I understood it but I've only been reading other peoples posts, I'm certainly no expert. ;)
Neither am I, however you can claim back to whenever if you have the account info, you will have to argue section 32 of the Limitations Act in order to do this, also there may be more of a chance of having to attend court.

To try and clarify:

The six year period is not from now back to 2001 or whatever. The six years relates to the time after you become aware of the unlawful actions of the bank. (most people take this point as being last year's OFT report.) Correct, others also say they became aware from recent media info re charges, but tthe OFT report of April 2006 is prob a good basis.

From 'becoming aware', you have a six-year window to make a claim. ie any time up until April 2012! So time to get cracking. lol

Provided you have, or can obtain, the relevant information, you can claim charges as far back as you can prove them. Yep which is what I said in my post above.

ie: if you have 1980's statements, CLAIM !! Yes, and with CI the figure would be massive, however this makes the claim more complex and you would need to read up on this before going down this route.

Does that make sense?:confused: Yep

D.

so I was right then. :D
So was I. lol:D

If the period of the first claim was clearly spelt out then surely you can whether you signed as 'f&f' or not. Anyone?

I scored out the full and final on my settlement letter for my first Barclays claim and when writing to the court to withdraw my claim added this:

With reference to my above claim, I have agreed a settlement with the defendant Barclays Bank for this claim, which I have accepted.

Tanz

No you need to state that they concealed the cost of dealing with your breaches of contract. There is no need to show the concealment lead to the mistake thay are alternative arguments and not linked. The concealment must relate to facts and not law.

Perhaps something on the lines of:

In so far as any charges relating to the period before xx/xx/xxxx, the claimant wishes to invoke s.32 of the Limitation Act 1980.

The Defendant deliberately concealed the true cost of adminstering the contractual breaches committed by the Claimant and thus an essential fact relevant to the Claimant's right of action was concealed.

Alternatively the Claimant paid the charges in the belief that they reflected the true cost of administering the contractual breaches.

The Claimant has now discovered, following revelations relating to a similar organisation, that the true costs are likely to be much lower and have thus been concealed and continue to be concealed by the Defendant and that the belief held by Claimant was in fact mistaken.

It is thus submitted that in accordance with s.32(1)(b), s32(1)© and s.32(2) that the time period for the purposes of the Limitation Act does not begin to run until my reasonable discovery. This was the 21st March 2007 when the revelations were made public.

I like that Zootscoot, would it be worth adding this into POC or waiting to a later stage of developments:

"If the charges are time barred by virtue of Section 5 of the Limitation Act (1980) then I contend that the Defendant has concealed, and continues to conceal that the charges debited are unlawful. If this is not the case, and the Defendant truly believes that these charges are lawful, then I contend that the Defendant is mistaken. As I only became aware during March 2006 that the charges debited were unlawful, then section 32(1)(b), or section 32(1)©, of the Limitation Act 1980 should apply, and the charges debited are therefore within the primary limitation period."

Or is this repeating the above a bit?

Tanz

• Haha 1

I have just been through All of my statements that I have dating back to March 1998. Remarkably I must have been far more organised than I am now, and I am only around 5 pages of statements missing, taking me upto the the time when my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) took effect, i.e Feb 2001. For the sake of a few missing pages, and waiting for the bank to respond to a 2nd SAR (why would you need a second SAR? one SAR should cover all personal data they hold about you.), and possibly still managing to cock things up, I am going to enter all charges that I can find pre 6 years onto my Schedule of charges, and alter my preliminary Letter with the new figure. I still feel uneasy about it, but it has to be less risky than putting in a claim which is 100% outside the limitation period.

As a word of general advice, is there anything I should be writing on my Preliminary letter, notifying them that I intend to claim beyond the 6 year period??? (just the date of first charge and last chagre perhaps as well as the total amount of charges claimed.)

Also do I have to do anything different if my claim surpasses £5k????

There is a chance it may not go into small claims but some over 5k have and some under 5k haven't so I beleive.

Tanz

• Haha 1

Bong,

Why is this - only curious since I've begun a second round with RBS - the first having concluded before we were aware of 'concealment'?

I think Bong may be referring to the fact that there have been cases where the claim has not been able to be kept intact, by this I mean that the charges for the last 6 years have been refunded and then when it got to court the defendants solicitor argued that they had refunded the charges and that they charges element was not now relevant and the judge agreed and wouldn't then discuss them further. If however you can keep all the claim intact by refusing offers of the current charges and keeping them intrisically linked to the older charges, then this give you the ability to argue the unlawfullness of the charges element and you will more likely get a settlement prior to a court appearance as the defendant would not want to risk going in and being forced to disclose their costs, which we all know would be well under £30-£39 and more like 50p.

Tanz