Mbna - Properly Executed Agreements

Cornucopia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No executed agreements for me - one was just the application form (with not even a space for their signature) and eventually got a letter on the other one from the Compliance Department saying they couldn't provide it due to 'archive retrieval problems' Whoops - what a valuable letter that could be. Thanks MBNA.

• Haha 1

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my ex-Abbey account that started out with National & Provincial Building Society donkeys years ago and ended up with MBNA. Sent my CCA in November 2006 and got this reply in January

"Unfortunately due to archive retrieval problems we are unable to obtain a copy of the agreement for account **** **** **** **** which relates to your Abbey MBNA priority rewards Credit Card. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused"

- didn't really understand whether it meant they couldn't be bothered to look for it or just didn't have it. They didn't send my £1 back though.

And another thing - the same person wrote this concerning my other (MBNA) account -

"Please accept my apologies for the delay in sending a copy of the application form with the terms and conditions attached. As per your request, I have now managed to retrieve a copy of the application form with the terms and conditions attached."

Oops!

Don't think it really matters where you send it - they've received it and the clock is ticking. (Think that by showing the £1/£10 on your account it helps them with their bad debt provisions by showing the customer is active and hasn't stopped paying) As lots of other posts/threads show it's all pretty academic as they probably can't provide the copy agreement anyway.

Good luck

Just a question for Corn and other friends on here.

My son received a mailshot today for an Arsenal credit card issued by MBNA. Looking at the agreement - it has the usual CCA signature box and is headed 'Credit Agreement Regulated by CCA 1974' etc, but no signature box for MBNA to execute the agreement just like other MBNA agreements I've seen.

Am I (or are we) missing something here? Why would a large company like MBNA (Bank of America) deliberately not want to show that the agreement has been executed and risk each and every one being unenforceable. Just worried in case there is something in the Act we've all overlooked. Any ideas???

Interesting Lantana, you'd think that at least they would have a signature box - just stamping or initialling the agreement somewhere wouldn't really indicate anything, particularly as it needs to be dated. Doesn't S60/61 say that to be properly executed the agreement needs be signed by both parties? Still don't really understand what they're up to.

Sorry to bang on chaps, but this must be fairly fundamental for the hundreds of people doing CCA requests on here - especially with MBNA.

Are we saying that despite S61, which says that for an agreement to be properly executed it has to be signed by both parties, rubber stamping a signature or initialling anywhere on the agreement/application without any indication what the signature represents and not dated, executes it?

Surely this can't be right.

Most agreements with other lenders have two datable signature boxes for the debtor and creditor - why should MBNA interpret the law differently to everyone else (and carry on doing so for years)?

Many thanks for that Rhia - still wondering why MBNA send out obviously unexecuted applications/agreements and even refer to them as "application forms" in correspondence in response to S78 requests when they must know that if the matter goes to litigation they'll have to produce a document that will stand up in court - perhaps it's something to do with not actually ever going to court in their own name but selling the debt to somebody else or maybe they've never been challenged. You would think it would be simpler to clearly show both signatures on the form and save any doubt. Regards.

Nice stuff Rhia - heard a guy from CAG on the radio the other day and he said that he knew one company employed somebody full time to read posts on this forum, when pressed he wouldn't reveal who it was - what a pity!

PS Where has the lovely Corn disappeared to?

• 5 weeks later...