• Tweets

• I thought the LibDems were going to table a motion of no confidence? I haven't heard anything about it for a couple of days.
    • Sorry for late reply dx been away and appreciate your replies. Yes he has paid the original borrowed amount off but obviously interest on top in which is owed and offer to write off. I know it is only a small amount owing but I didn't know whether to attempt to pursue with reclaim of previous paid amount plus interest. Or just to accept their offer and have removed from Credit File.
    • breaking news More Tory MPs ‘pondering defecting’ 'bl**dy hell, if they'll have her I should be a shoe in. I dont stand a chance as a Tory, but I might if I'm the labour candidate' .. is rumored to be heard again and again at the Torys favorite  subsidised bars of Westminster.   More Tory MPs ‘pondering defecting’ as Natalie Elphicke ‘sorry’ - live WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Labour frontbencher says other Conservatives wrestling with their futures and calls grow for Diane Abbott to be let back into party "Wes Streeting insisted his party would not take just any Tory MP" .. as he looked nervously looked over his shoulder   We may be looking forward to a vote of no confidence in the Guv by the newly majority labour party as early as next week has allegedly been overheard
    • You were given this PCN because you overstayed not because you went to Starbucks or MaccyDs from the other car park. I assume therefore that the parking time is only 30 minutes as you were recorded as being there for 38 minutes. Given that there is a Consideration time and a Grace period  as well as the time between their photographs of your car arriving and leaving one wonders why they gave you a ticket. Force of habit I suppose. Because they are on airport land which is governed by Bye Laws that supercede PoFA we do not usually look at their PCNs there because in none of them can the charge be transferred from the driver to the keeper  as would normally happen after 28 days if the charge is unpaid and the land is not subject to Byelaws. In your case as they have failed to specify the Parking period  which is the time car is spent actually parked in a parking space not the bit that they include which is driving from the entrance to the parking space and the other bit from the parking space to the exit. As that reduces the lawful time you were actually parked I would suggest that they have breached your GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

atj26589 v abbey

atj26589
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Standard reply dated ......... March 2007 received from Abbey.

Now preparing Letter Before Action. However, I have a stupid question, I am not claiming interest so is this the correct paragraph to put in:

"I require repayment in full of this money If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus my costs and without further notice."

as opposed to:

"I require repayment in full of this money If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice."

as I assume the "plus interest" refers to your claim if you are claiming interest on the charges, as opposed to the interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984.

I am just trying to make sure my letter is correct, I have had a look in the FAQ's and couldn't find the answer. A thousand apologies if it is there!

• 1 month later...

update and help please!

Letter before action sent March 2007

Standard reply dated March 2007

"sorry for delay etc etc"

Letter from Abbey dated April 2007

" carried out full investigation etc, Although the charges were correct, as a gesture of goodwill I am happy to refund £50" not bad when I am claiming over £4500!

I have completed my N1 and went to the County Court today to put it in, the amount I am claiming is just over 6k including s. 69 interest and the court fee of £250 although the amount of charges is under £5K. The counter clerk said if you obtain judgement the court will not be enforce it as the claim is over £5K! Needless to say I didn't put the claim in this afternoon and I am now posting this message for help!

The counter clerk said if you obtain judgement the court will not be enforce it as the claim is over £5K!

Presumably they meant if you obtain judgement (and the bank still doesn't pay up) you would then need to apply for a warrant, which bailiffs would then enforce.

Presumably they meant if you obtain judgement (and the bank still doesn't pay up) you would then need to apply for a warrant, which bailiffs would then enforce.

Thanks for the quick reply Michael,

She admitted she wasn't legally trained........(I know full well they aren't allowed to give out legal advice) but she said because of the amount it would have to go to a higher court! Maybe I should pick the County Court in the "big city" up the road instead of my local one by the seaside!

More rubbish. If just the charges are above £5000, it would normally be allocated to Fast Track, but it would still be handled by a County Court

but the charges are under £5K and the decision about allocation is taken by the judge, is that right? So I will just go back and put it in next week

thanks again for the quick reply.

I am off to London tomorrow for a few days (wife running the marathon!) so if anyone else posted on this thread I am not being ignorant by not replying!

me again

would I be correct in amending my spreadsheet taking off the "gesture of goodwill" from the most recent charges and writing (intend to fax first so it is in before my claim) to the Abbey thanking them for the GOGW but informing them I am pursuing my claim for the remainder? I am about to submit my claim at my infamous county court tomorrow (hopefully).

I have to admit I have read conflicting advise on here regarding GOGW's I am happy just to knock it off.

• 1 month later...

Update (shoddy I know)

Claim issued 30/4/2007

Ack of service 1/5/2007

Copy of defence received from Abbey dated 25/5/2007

Nothing from Court yet (including copy of Defence)

Update and advice required......

I received a copy of Abbey's Defence from the court and an AQ (N150) yesterday, I have until the 18th June to send it in and pay the fee.

I have just noticed that three of the charges on my spreadsheet are out by one day, my fault in transcribing the dates, I am stupid I know! The claim was filed at the Court and the spreadsheet was submitted with the claim. This doesn't affect the amount of the charges but it does affect the Section 69 interest, a big difference of 3p but it is a difference. Would it be OK to send an amended spreadsheet with the AQ (and detail this in Section H) or should I do something else?

Hi

I am just compiling my AQ, I received an N150 from the court although my claim (excluding s.69 interest and court fee) is (just) under 5K. I want to use the Draft Order to directions. However, I have a question with the Statement of Evidence I will need to submit if the Draft Order is accepted by the judge, at para 14 of the second http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/57708-draft-order-allocation-questionnaires.html

statement of evidence it states:

"14. Additionally, I asked the Defendant to provide me evidence of any manual intervention that may have occurred in relation to my account, under a Data Protection Act 1998 right of subject access request. No such information was forthcoming."

and in the Documents Attached In Support Of This Statement is:

"Data Protection Act Subject Access Request for evidence of manual intervention"

Well I didn't send S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) as I had all my statements already and I didn't mention Manual Intervention in my Prelim Letter or Letter Before Action. Will it be OK to omit para 14 from the Statement of Evidence and, obviously, the reference in the Documents Attached when I eventually have to submit the Statement of Evidence if the draft order is accepted? I want to be sure before I do the wrong thing!

I have posted this in the General Forum as well so please feel free to ignore or reply - I just want to keep my thread up to date

Yes, wouldn't want you to commit perjury! :D

Thanks again Michael! What I meant to say is the Manual Intervention that important to the claim and would I better off just sending the AQ without the Draft Order but I take it that asking for details of Manual Intervention is not that crucial to the claim?

another silly question.....

the amount of section s.69 interest takes my claim over 5K. As I have to put the sum of charges and section s.69 interest (I assume this should be up to the present date) in Section D of the N150 under the amount of claim in dispute, would it be a wise idea to put in the Track box under section D (after I have ticked small claims track) "The sum in dispute if £5.... K. However, this figure is calculated as £4...K of charges and £1...K of interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984."

as you probably tell I am paranoid - I shouldn't be I work in a Legal Department, maybe thinking again that is why I am paranoid...........

In other words I would appreciate somebody looking at the AQ I am going to file on Monday - can I please PM it to somebody?

• 3 weeks later...

I received in the post today my Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing) 3rd September arrggggggggggghhhhhhhh don't panic Mr Mannering

"Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents (including any experts report) on which he intends to rely at the hearing no later than 14 days before the hearing

The original documents shall be brought to the hearing

Each party MUST file with the court and serve on the other party his/her own signed witness statement/s in support/defence at least fourteen days before the date of the hearing. WITNESS STATEMENTS INCLUDE THE PARTIES TO THE CLAIM IN ADDITION TO OTHER PERSONS (See Notes for Guidance)"

It then goes on to list for Notes for guidance on the making of a witness statement. Which seem pretty standard to me, court bundle plus witness statement suitably framed to meet my case although I would appreciate some tips/guidance if I get stuck (most probable)

The notice says the hearing should take no longer than 5 minutes, is this a good or bad thing I wonder.........