• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ged v Abbey ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just wait for the legal team or the court now. Everything else is a standard letter

Sounds like you've still got the whole aq bit to go yet

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recieved a 'notice of issue' from the court today saying that my claim was deemed to have been served on Abbey on 14th April. They have until 30th April to reply.

Hopefully not long to go now until I get my money!!!!!

I'll have to wait and see if Abbey files a defence.

I have received a notice from court to say that abbey filed an 'acknowledgement of service has been filed'

The text says:-

The Defendant filed an Acknowledgement of service on 18th April

The defendant responded to the calim indicating an intention to defend all of the claim.

The defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim form with particulars of the claim, or of the particulars of claim, to file a defence.

The acknowledgement was filed by the solicitors acting for the defendant who have given the following name and address for service of documents.

There is no name and address for the solicitors. Do I just wait now and see if I'm sent an AQ?

Should I contact Abbey to see who their solicitor is?

Any help would be appriciated

• 2 weeks later...

yep just wait for the court now

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

• 2 weeks later...

I've recieved my AQs, and have until 30th May to return, but I'm a bit unsure as to what I need to put in Section G, Other information.

I've had a look on the templates library, but it only refers to information that you think might help the judge. Can anyone tell me what I should put in that section?

Any help would be appreciated.

i would send a copy of the draft order and the back up statements plus a copy of the AQ to Abbey, its usually a curtesy - it might have the desired effect of getting them to settle earlier :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

so Path, I mean the back up statements with the Abuse Order that goes into section G of the AQ ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Thanks Lula

I've sent everything off to the court and copies to Inga Kirkman at Abbey. All I have to do now is wait and see if I get a phone call offering me a settlement.

I think Abbey must have set up a department just to deal with reclaiming bank charges, when I rang the London office to ask who to address it to, they just gave me the name straight away and the reference to put on the envelope. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I phoned the court today and was told that Abbey have filed their AQs, the person wasn't very helpful, but I managed to find out that Abbey had not asked for a postponement for one month.

They also said that I would not get a copy of their AQs, maybe I should not have sent mine to them.

Is it worth ringing them now and asking for a settlement of the full amount, or should I wait until I am allocated a court date?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting impatient now and have seen a few threads whereby people have contacted Inga Kirkman before court dates have been issued, so have sent the following email to her. Hopefully I will get a quick response. :rolleyes:

Having submitted my Allocation Questionnaire to Newcastle County Court on 7th May 2007, a copy of which was also sent to yourself with a request to the judge to strike out your defence on the basis that this is a standard defence that is submitted for all claims. I would like you to consider the following.

I realise from your defence that you do not agree with my legal analysis that the charges levied to my account amount to penalty clauses and are deemed unfair. I do however recognise the fact that the sum at issue between us is relatively modest and as such, it is not cost effect for either party to take the matter to trial. Therefore in order to avoid the inevitable time and cost associated with pursuing the claim to trial I am willing to settle the claim upon repayment of the charges applied to my account, together with statutory interest and costs totalling £801.81.

Only once in receipt of cleared funds will I then discontinue all action against Abbey in connection with this claim.

I have attached a copy of the schedule of charges.

I have just checked my email and have had a reply from Inga Kirkman below:-

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email, however I am instructed to reject your offer as it takes no account for the charges that are incurred by reason of the transactions that have in fact occurred on your account.

I am instructed to make a counter offer to you in the sum of £520.00 in full and final settlement of your claim. Any payment would be made without admission of liability by or on behalf of Abbey. Payment would be made into your account (if open) or posted to you.

Should you wish to accept this offer please advise by return in order that payment can be processed.

Kind regards,

Inga Kirkman

Abbey have already paid £175 into my account as a GOGW, however there is no mention of this in her email, nor did I make any mention of it as I had sent a rejection letter asking for it to be removed.

My question now is, should I reply to her asking for the full amount minus the £175 or still ask for the full amount? If so I would be asking for £626

Also does anyone have any ideas on how to word the reply to her?

Your claim is for..........£626

They have paid...........£175

Leaving balance of. .....£451

They have made a settlement offer of £520 which is £69 more than the balance.

By continuing the claim for £626, you would be attempting to obtain money by deception, which is fraud.

We do not promote or condone any illegal act, on this forum.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

what you should do, is that if you accept her offer, make sure that this is the amount that you will be receiving and not this minus the GOGW, Abbey are notorious for doing this and you need to make sure that the amount she offers is the amount that is going to be on the cheque

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

My question now is, should I reply to her asking for the full amount minus the £175 or still ask for the full amount? If so I would be asking for £626

it may be the way you worded your mail :D

i would ask for the full amount owed minus the GOGW plus costs and interest, however, if you want the matter settled sooner, you can settle for a reduced amount or continue to court, if you can wait and continue your claim she will eventually pay up

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled