• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Jason v Abbey

,hills
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my 6 years statements, going through them now.

At a guess, it looks like £5,000+.

Is this too much to claim ?

What is a Cleared Transaction Charge?? And can I claim for it ?

Thanks

£5000+ seems fine. A guy on here was awarded about £8k just yestterday from Abbey.

I think a cleared transaction charge is when you use you Electron card and there's not enough funds etc... Most of mine with the above were for items bought with PAypal and the funds were not in my account in time.

Yes, i believe you can claim them, i certainly have.

Hi Jason

Yes you can claim them. I have a few where they have honored a payment that takes me say £2 over my overdraught then charged me £30!

Nice work if you can get it.

Good luck

2 Accounts with statements back to Feb 04 = £802 in charges

S.A.R received by Abbey 22.09.06 .......start the clock!:D

9.10.06 received letter from Pam Speed 'information to follow'

12.10.06 received last 14 months of altered statements :rolleyes:

01.11.06 LBA sent to Abbey for statements

10.11.06 received statements back to 2000 - on one account:|

15.11.06 2nd LBA sent for outstanding information

26.11.06 Outstanding info arrives

30.11.06 Prelim for £1089 received by Abbey

06.12.06 Sorry you are unhappy letter received

21.12.06 Sent LBA giving 14 days before court action

22.12.06 Received GOGW for £375

• 4 weeks later...

Was giving them until Wednesday but....

Got offer by letter today for £728. !!!

Guess I'll send the thanks but accept only as part offer letter.

Thinking I'll also add a bit of the LBA letter giving them an extra 7 days to refund in full before as prewarned before, that it will go to court after that with added 8% interest and costs after that.

What do you think ?

Also, with interest, it will take it over £6k, will that cause problems doing MCOL etc.

Thanks.

Thinking I'll also add a bit of the LBA letter giving them an extra 7 days to refund in full before as prewarned before, that it will go to court after that with added 8% interest and costs after that.

What do you think ?

14 days is plenty

Also, with interest, it will take it over £6k, will that cause problems doing MCOL etc.

Only your charges count towards small claims limit, but court fees are based on charges + interest, so court fee will be £250

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Received a Notice of Transfer of Proceedings from Northampton County Court on 19th May, defence has been filed and it has been transferred to my local (Uxbridge) Court.

That was 3 weeks ago, no further news, I presume they are very busy.

Received a N150 Allocation questionairre today. It surprised me because some of my friends using the same Court didn't get one, they just went straight to Mercantile Court in London.

Do you think it was just timing or that I am claiming back so much ?

I have read the notes on filling in the form on the advised thread but please can I ask for help on the following.

1) Before you fill in the relevant boxes (A,B etc) there is a box at the top for Claimant and Court information. Do I fill that in or do the Court.

2) Section C, Pre action protocols.

I've gone the the full process of SAR, Premlim, LBA, MCOL etc, if I tick YES in section 2, do I have to send another spreadsheet or am I reading it wrong.

3) Amount of Claim.

When does the MCOL £250 fee and the £100 AQ fee get added.

4) Which Track

My claim is for £5,174 charges (and £1,122.27 at 8% interest).

Although over £5,000 for Small Claims, should I still ask for that route.

If so do I write in the box below where it asks for reasons why requesting another track.

Is so, what do I write.

5) Proposed Directions

Do I print off the 2 pages and fill in the missing xxx's.

Does it also mean that I need to submit the Court Bundle within 14 days of me handing the AQ or 14 days when a Court date is set.

6) Section H, Other Information

If I send the Draft Order with the AQ, do I then say YES to attaching documents to the AQ, but, NO to sending to other parties and NO to any applications in the future.

7) As well as writing in the suggested text in the 'other information box' can you advise me what to put down as to why I want to use the Small Track although my claim is £5,174.00 + interest.

I hope I havn't annoyed anyone by asking these questions, it's just that with such a large amount and waiting so long, I don't want to fall at the last hurdle.

Many thanks

Jason

Still trying to work out the AQ 150.

When submitting the Draft order of Directions, it says I will send the Court Bundle to the Court and Abbey within 14 days of Service.

Is this 14 days after I give in the AQ or 14 days when I get a Court date ?

Can anyone please help.

Thanks

Court bundle goes to court and Abbey 14 days before you are actually in court, OR when the court tells you to send it.

Are you attaching the Abuse of Process order to your AQ at Section H? It's worth doing as some courts are taking notice and striking the defence.

1) You fill in these boxes with the relevant information.

2) Tick yes in part two.

3) Enter the full amount, including court fees and interest.

4) Yes you can ask for small claims on the basis that you are a litigant in person who would be seriously financially disadvantaged if you had to bear the risk of costs against a multinational company who have access to vast financial resources.

5) Tick yes to this but no to agreed with other parties then attach the Draft order for Directions from here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html#post553523

6) Attach Abuse of process order. Tick No to apllications in the future.

7) covered in 4).

When you've completed the AQ send copies to the court and to Abbey. Include the Abuse of process and the draft orders with the AQ. And don't forget to date and sign the AQ and pay the £100.

Hope this helps and good luck.

PS. Don't forget to include your latest schedule of charges and I'd personally add in a list of settled cases and copies of the Lincoln and Reading orders and the Hackney judgement. More ammo the better.

Thank you very much for assisting me, I'm nearly there filling the AQ in now. I have until this Friday to hand it it.

I've tried my hardest to search the posts to fill in the form but conflicting suggestions are confusing me.

In section C) Pre Action Protocols, I have seen posts which advise 'ticking' YES and also NO. I have gone through the process of SAR's, PRELIM's, LBA's, MCOL's and am not sure what to tick ???

In section D) Again I have seen posts where people have advised both 'only put value of claim plus interest' and also seen 'put value of claim plus inetrest plus Court costs). ???

Robdblynd, in the above post, you mention attaching 'Abuse of Process Order'. I have not seen anything about this before. Can you please advise.

Thanks again eveyone. I sometimes think it's not worth carrying on but I still hope that I see that pot of gold at the end.

Section C - Pre-action protocols --- Ignore Part 1, Tick YES in Part 2.

Section D - I put the whole amount of the claim because Abbey dispute everything (charges, interest (if claimed) and court costs) See their defence document, they will say there that they dispute all. So you put in here what they dispute, which is everything.

Look here for Abuse of Process

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/87766-abbey-abuse-orders-keeping.html

Please don't give up now, you are so near the end. They will make you struggle to get back YOUR money but don't let them win. If you pull out now you will have let them take another lot of money in your court costs.

You will see your pot of gold, it will just take a little more time and effort. :)

Good job I read the Abuse of Process order properly, I was just going to cut and paste it. I didn't realise you had to attatch the case studies as well.

One last thing, do I send a copy of the whole AQ and attachments to Abbey as well. It seems some people do and some don't.

Hi Hills, you are at the same stage as I, my AQ has to be in tomorrow. yes, copy and send it all to Abbey, with all the Abuse attachments, should put the wind up them lol. dont forget to attach the cheque when you send it to the court :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Woh!!!

How many pages (x3)

I hope I have enough ink !

I notice some people have different contact names.

On Abbeys Defence it was signed by Willem Basson, Paralegal

Triton Square, London.

Should I use this contact details or is there a better one ?

Thanks

you need to send them a copy of the whole document (N150) plus all the attachments that make up the Abuse order, mine too was signed by Willem Basson but there is no email for him, i would suggest that if you want to contact them, contact them on [email protected], but to be honest, wait till a few days after you have sent the AQ(recorded delivery)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Keep at them, they will fold.

Yesterday I got letter offering full amount as settlement, so you can win, it just takes a bit of perseverance and no backing down. They own you, go get your money back.

At the stage you're at now I got a copy of Abbey's AQ within days of sending them mine, but then my court (mercantile) dispensed with the bally thing (and after all the work I'd done too) and I had to fill in case management information instead but the day their CMI had to be filed I got the letter settling the claim. The time lag was exactly one month, so hopefully, you're in the final straight.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no news from my local Court after submitting all the Abuse stuff etc.

I'm getting worried that perhaps because it's over £5k (£5,1074 charges + Interest + Court Costs) totalling £6,546 it will end up being defended and not being allowed to go Small Claims.

Should I call the Court to find out the latest ???.

Many Thanks

you can do, but if they are anything like my local court all you will get it "you should get something in the post in a few days" beginning to sound like a miserable moo arent i lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled