Help! New starter

falcons247
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have contact my bank to obtain statements for my credit card - which ive had for several years now. They told me they could send statement going back to the last 12 months for free & any other statement would cost £5 each?!

I will attempt to calculate my charges on the 12 months worth of statement they are sending me. Looking at last month's statement they are charging a payment fee (£12) and a late fee (£12) - are these charges which i can claim back? (unfortunately i am regularly over my credit limit).

What charges can i recover & do i follow the same steps as the bank charges template letters?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tim

Hi all,

I have contact my bank to obtain statements for my credit card - which ive had for several years now. They told me they could send statement going back to the last 12 months for free & any other statement would cost £5 each?!

I will attempt to calculate my charges on the 12 months worth of statement they are sending me. Looking at last month's statement they are charging a payment fee (£12) and a late fee (£12) - are these charges which i can claim back? (unfortunately i am regularly over my credit limit).

What charges can i recover & do i follow the same steps as the bank charges template letters?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tim

Hi Tim,

They're talking rubbish. Issue them with a Subject Access Request along with a fee of £10.00. This is the only amount they can charge you to send you copies of your statements for the past 6 years.

You will find the letter in the templates library.

As you are a new starter, please make sure you read the FAQ's thoroughly and post as many questions as you like - we are all here to help and are MBNA vets!!!!

Gook luck and keep your thread updated!:)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Thanks for that, I will send them a SAR letter shortly and obtain statements from the last 6 years.

Does anyone know if i will be able to claim the payment & late fees (£12 each) back from MBNA?

Do I also need to find out the interest rate and charge this as well?

Any clarification would be muchly appreciated,

Tim

Thanks for that, I will send them a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter shortly and obtain statements from the last 6 years.

Does anyone know if i will be able to claim the payment & late fees (£12 each) back from MBNA?

Do I also need to find out the interest rate and charge this as well?

Any clarification would be muchly appreciated,

Tim

Hi again Tim, you can claim any charges they have applied to your account including late fees. Are you sure they only charged you £12.00? This is the level that they are using now as they pounced on the OFT saying this was a more reasonable amount. Make sure you check statements carefully.

You can claim back contractual compound interest which is currently at 24.9% I believe, however, if they are charging you more like they have my husband, go for the higher amount. Ring them and check or check your statements. When you have collated your charges, call them (CEO's office - see sticky regarding contact info) and see if you can get them to work it out for you. If not, there is a spreadsheet for 8% interest and you can change it to the appropriate interest rate amount and it will do it for you.

I hope this helps!

Go on my son!!!!!!:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

They are charging me a couple of £12 charges for late & payment fees.

i thought the interest they charged was claim-able, being as this was set out in the contract at the outset?

do i basically just claim for EVERYTHING they have charged me i.e. interest, late fees etc?

Regards,

Tim

They are charging me a couple of £12 charges for late & payment fees.

i thought the interest they charged was claim-able, being as this was set out in the contract at the outset?

do i basically just claim for EVERYTHING they have charged me i.e. interest, late fees etc?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim, all late fees, any overlimit fees, any returned payment fees etc etc. You can't claim debit interest. When you set out your spreadsheet (have a look at it and do a practice run), you will enter in the date, description and amount and if, for example, it is at 8% interest, it will tell you how long since the "offence" was committed and what the interest amount is. Obviously you are not doing 8%, you are doing contractual, so you will change your 8% to the contractual percentage and it will do the working out for you.

Let me know when you get your statements back and if you need any help, I will be glad to assist!:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Thanks again Cornucopia.

Who do i need to make the £10 cheque payable to when I send the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter?

Regards,

Tim

Morning Tim,

Is the card directly from MBNA or via another provider? If this is via your bank, pay it to the bank. If you are dealing direct with MBNA, pay it to them.

Hope this helps!:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

The credit card is through Alliance & Leicester with MBNA the provider.

Do I make the chq payable to A & L?

Which is the best address to send to - MBNA address or the A & L address?

I was going to use - Michael Rhodes, MBNA Europe Bank Ltd, Chester Business Park, Chester, CH4 9WW

Many Thanks

The credit card is through Alliance & Leicester with MBNA the provider.

Do I make the chq payable to A & L?

Which is the best address to send to - MBNA address or the A & L address?

I was going to use - Michael Rhodes, MBNA Europe Bank Ltd, Chester Business Park, Chester, CH4 9WW

Many Thanks

You might want to run this one past Battleaxe (see her thread, Battleaxe does MBNA) as she is dealing with MBNA and A&L. I suspect that you ought to go straight for the jugular and go for MBNA. Please check with Battleaxe as I am not 100% sure. I have to rush out but if you haven't had any other responses I will look into it in more detail a little later.

Hope that helps for now!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Cornucopia/Battleaxe,

Could you enlighten me more on my previous post please?

Kind Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I am sorry, have been offline for a bit. I suggest you PM Battleaxe with the question, I am sure she will answer you. My own feeling is that you go for MBNA, address it to Michael Rhodes if you like and send it to the Chester address. After all, they are actually providing the credit line, not A&L.

Keep us posted!:-D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have received a letter from A & L today in response to my SAR letter.

It states how their charges are fair etc. They have returned the £10 cheque and provided details of all the charges free of charge!

They have also offered £480 in full and final settlement - am i right in saying that i accept this as partial payment of the claim as long as they settle the rest?

Could someone please clarify if i can claim back the following:

Cash Advance interest (Promotional Cash Interest charged)

Retail Interest (Promotional Retail Interest charged)

Cash Advance Interest (Cash Interest charged)

Retail Interest (Retail Interest charged)

Kind Regards,

Tim

Hi all,

I have received a letter from A & L today in response to my SAR letter.

It states how their charges are fair etc. They have returned the £10 cheque and provided details of all the charges free of charge!

They have also offered £480 in full and final settlement - am i right in saying that i accept this as partial payment of the claim as long as they settle the rest?

Could someone please clarify if i can claim back the following:

Cash Advance interest (Promotional Cash Interest charged)

Retail Interest (Promotional Retail Interest charged)

Cash Advance Interest (Cash Interest charged)

Retail Interest (Retail Interest charged)

Kind Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

In my opinion, they have not fulfilled your SAR. They are merely delaying and this is typical of MBNA at the moment. I would not be happy with the statements they have sent you, a new trick is to leave out a lot of the charges but this only becomes apparent after they have bothered to fulful the SAR. Have they said "if you want a full SAR, please return payment and ID"? If so, they will then tell you then have another 40 days, they don't! I personally would force them to comply properly, it is a bloody outrage!:mad:

Onto the second bit, you can't claim back any of the interest charges you quoted. Sorry! It is only overlimit fees, late payments fees etc.

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi Tim,

In my opinion, they have not fulfilled your SAR. They are merely delaying and this is typical of MBNA at the moment. I would not be happy with the statements they have sent you, a new trick is to leave out a lot of the charges but this only becomes apparent after they have bothered to fulful the SAR. Have they said "if you want a full SAR, please return payment and ID"? If so, they will then tell you then have another 40 days, they don't! I personally would force them to comply properly, it is a bloody outrage!:mad:

Onto the second bit, you can't claim back any of the interest charges you quoted. Sorry! It is only overlimit fees, late payments fees etc.

PS : Sorry Tim, forgot to say....by all means accept partial payment but not "as long as" they settle the rest. Say that you accept it as partial payment but will be persuing for the rest.....:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Thanks for that info.

I have a few statements for last year, so have checked them against the copy statements they sent me and all the charges (late fees and payment fees) are all on there, so I think i will proceed on the info they have sent me.

Is there a template letter to say that i accept their offer as partial payment but will be pursuing the rest?

also, to clarify, can i only add the contractual interest (24.9%) onto my claim if i have to do a MCOL?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for that info.

I have a few statements for last year, so have checked them against the copy statements they sent me and all the charges (late fees and payment fees) are all on there, so I think i will proceed on the info they have sent me.

Is there a template letter to say that i accept their offer as partial payment but will be pursuing the rest?

also, to clarify, can i only add the contractual interest (24.9%) onto my claim if i have to do a MCOL?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, that's fine if you are happy with it (but personally I wouldn't!!), but anyway, you now need to proceed to LBA stage. Where it says "I calculate you have taken blah blah.....", I have always put in there something along the lines of "I am pleased to accept your offer of partial payment, but please be advised that I will be pursuing you for the remaining balance". The LBA is in the templates file. You can add contractual interest in your LBA. If you have done your spreadsheet, add in a sentence regarding the amount taken in contractual interest.

I hope this is clear, sorry, I am at work so am rushing!!!:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Thats a great help.

Ive just called A & L who advised that my account was opened in June 2001. The copy statements they have sent free of charge only goes back to March 2003!

God knows what charges they've tried to keep from me. I think you're right, I will need to return the chq with my ID and get full statements.

how long do they have to send the full statements to me, given the fact that the 40 days has already expired? (it says in the letter they have another 40 days to send them?!)

how would i word it?

thanks

Thats a great help.

Ive just called A & L who advised that my account was opened in June 2001. The copy statements they have sent free of charge only goes back to March 2003!

God knows what charges they've tried to keep from me. I think you're right, I will need to return the chq with my ID and get full statements.

how long do they have to send the full statements to me, given the fact that the 40 days has already expired? (it says in the letter they have another 40 days to send them?!)

how would i word it?

thanks

Falcons! Now will you listen to you Auntie Corn and I promise the words "I told you so" will not so much as brush past my lips!!!:lol:

This is your first lesson, they are sc**bags and will pull every trick in the book..........don't let them!!;)

Right, return you payment and your ID and PM me your e-mail address and I shall send you over a letter to use. Could you just confirm, this is A&L we are talking about, not MBNA?:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Falcons! Now will you listen to you Auntie Corn and I promise the words "I told you so" will not so much as brush past my lips!!!:lol:

This is your first lesson, they are sc**bags and will pull every trick in the book..........don't let them!!;)

Right, return you payment and your ID and PM me your e-mail address and I shall send you over a letter to use. Could you just confirm, this is A&L we are talking about, not MBNA?:)

Falcons, didn't hear back from you tonight, but please do PM me email address and I will deal with it as soon as I am able during tomorrow, but most likely in the evening.

Don't worry, we'll get it sorted!:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

• 3 weeks later...

After returning my payment and ID on 22 March 2007, i received a letter from MBNA dated 3 April 2007 confirming receipt of my payment and ID and saying they will send me all the info in the next 40 days! - Even though my initial SAR was back on the 7th Feb 2007!

I have today written to MBNA stating i do not accept they have a further 40 days to comply & if i dont receive a reply in the next 7 days i will be submitting a court claim for non-compliance.

I will endeavour to keep you all updated!

Regards,

Tim