• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Darling 2 takes on the TSB**won**

darling1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You did not complete the claim form incorrectly, at the time you did not have the cash.

Lloyds should take this point in their defence, but they will probably serve their standard nonsense.

I am in the same position, but slightly further down the road. It will sort itself out.

Personally I would not bother with an amendment it is likely to slow things down and will cost you £35 (which is non recoverable).

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to your post 45, my advice comes from my experience with litigation and or what I have learned from this site.

If I do not know about something I will keep quiet or if something is my view, I would use words like 'personally' so that you can place my comments in context and then decide on your own course of action.

Anyway, this is my view. Lloyds should in their defence state that they have paid you £750, they will probably not as they are obsessed with their standard defence.

If Lloyds do not mention the £750 in their defence, you could score some points with the judge by stating that Lloyds have omitted to mentioned in their defence that you have been paid £750 in respect of your claim and ask that it should be deducted from your overall claim value when judgement is made.

Back to taking the moral high ground I suppose.

I would not get too hung up about this matter.

I am not offended, if I was, I would not have responded with my view; apologies if my words appeared a little blunt. I laughed at your story about your 3 year old - I know I should not have.

As to GaryH's letter, he clearly is a master at this, but I would suggest one point is added to the draft letter. Reading that letter a judge may think why did you commence the claim with the higher value knowing you had been paid the £750.00? He may not look at the chronology of events.

At the end of the second paragraph to GaryH's letter add a new sentence 'That payment was made by the Defendant just after the filing of my claim, therefore my claim should be reduced by that sum.'

Personally I would wait until they filed their defence, but if I was you I know who I would listen to, i.e. GaryH.

It is human nature to judge what has happened in the past and apply that to the future, in particular if it was a bad experience. Please try and avoid thinking like that matter do not usually turn out that way - unusually for me a bit of psycho babble nonsense.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to see that you are going to use new strategy for AQ, it is really a must now.

You should be able to represent your husband in court, although it is highly unlikely that it will get this far. Lloyds are settling a lot of claims around the AQ stage now (although the timing is still sometimes a bit random).

When completing you AQ in the 'other information box' you should state that you will be representing your husband.

I have just checked back your claim is for a rather large £9K, it is almost certain you will be allocated to the fast track, however this is nothing to fear really.

As I am sure you know, Lloyds have not yet fully defended one of these matters, therefore it follows you are very unlikely to end up in court (but prepare like you will) never mind lose.

Notwithstanding the courts are generally reluctant to make an adverse costs order against a litigant in person when the other side are represented.

Indeed, there are distinct advantage to the fast track, such as disclosure and that should act as a catalyst to get Lloyds to settle earlier.

You will be fine.

• Haha 1

To complete AQ see Gary's post 57 on your thread and that below:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

I completed the PDF version and posted to the court, it looks much nicer, in particular if you are prone to having a few attempts at it.

Take your time, no cause for concern, all perfectly normal.

This is only necessary if you have not previously forwarded it, I presume you have forwarded the charge schedule already.

Micheal Browne was possibly advising someone that has used MCOL, where you cannot include the charge schedule as part of the particulars.

Quite right Darling1, you stick with what you are comfortable with, we are all different. I am sure MTMs intentions are honourable, but they are a bit too forceful for my liking.

It really is a personal choice. For the reasons you have stated in your post above you are making absolutely the right choice. Litigation should not be treated like a game, it is serious, in particular when you have potential exposure to the other sides costs, which (as you allready know) you will have given you claim is around the £11K mark.

If you get jilted by GaryH, then I will do - not happy about that!

Seriously though, I am scheduled to be in the UAE for a couple of weeks around that time, unfortunately. However, it is likely your claim will settle before then anyway.

Must stay on topic - enough messing around. I know I started it, but I will attempt to finish it too.

• 1 month later...

They are likely to know when the hearing is and are unlikely to turn up, in particular as it is a prelim.

Personally I would not phone them, they settle when they are ready. However they can be bit random sometimes.

A allocation hearing is nothing to be concerned about, you will be fine.

• Haha 1